Austrian Parliamentary Elections

Anything that is not directly related to the game or its community.

Which party would you vote for?

Social Democratic Party of Austria (SPÖ)
50%
Austrian Peoples Party (ÖVP)
9%
Freedom Party of Austria (FPÖ)
27%
The Greens (G)
No votes
NEOs (NEO)
No votes
Black-Yellow Alliance (SGA)
9%
Pirate Party of Austria (PPÖ)
No votes
Communist Party of Austria (KPÖ)
No votes
Liste Pilz (Independent)
No votes
Team Stronach (TS)
5%

Total votes : 22

Re: Austrian Parliamentary Elections

Postby Hrafn » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:58 am

Aethan wrote:
Hrafn wrote:
Elf wrote:EDIT: so does Team Stronach... guess I could vote for them. Though their website is.. crap.. looks like a sticker from the 80's ('for more information, call our Telefax on this number'). :D

By Odin's beard, that's awful :lol:

It would be really funny if a monarchist party rose to power and reintroduced monarchy through democratic means.

Would any nation whish to reintroduce monarchism? Sincere question, I have no idea and since I live in a monarchy not many people is happy with it...

I don't see why not. At least not a ceremonial monarch. There are advantages to having a ceremonial head of state being inherited rather than elected. And there are lots of constitutional monarchies today were the majority of the voters want to keep it that way (which could of course simply be an example of status quo bias). Personally, I shudder at the thought of any Swedish politician being the head of state, and our current king is a dyslexic who goes to striptease shows so that's saying a lot.
My avatar is a statue of a famous Swedish peasant rebel leader who opposed Gustav Vasa, by the way. :)
Hrafn

Postby jamescfm » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:13 pm

Last edited by jamescfm on Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamescfm

Postby Elf » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:39 pm

Hrafn wrote:
Aethan wrote:Would any nation whish to reintroduce monarchism? Sincere question, I have no idea and since I live in a monarchy not many people is happy with it...

I don't see why not. At least not a ceremonial monarch. There are advantages to having a ceremonial head of state being inherited rather than elected. And there are lots of constitutional monarchies today were the majority of the voters want to keep it that way (which could of course simply be an example of status quo bias).
I agree... Actually, even royal family is like a gold mine thanks to German tourists ( :D ), the monarchy isn't just some nice symbol for some forgotten era but has an ideological dimension as well, he or she represents the nation as a society rather than the state like politicians, and personifies the idea that some values are above politics. However our royal family also stays strictly out of politics and are obliged to not do that by law... our king would never make a speech like the one Felipe did. Personally I'm not a big fan of my own royal family per se... if I have a favourite monarchy in history it would probably be the faux-republican Roman Principiate (lmao). :D But it's nice to at least have some thing that is above pretty politics.

Hrafn wrote:Personally, I shudder at the thought of any Swedish politician being the head of state,
Per tradition though... Sweden should be an elective monarchy.. hereditary rule was introduced by the cursed Gustav Vasa who introduced Protestantism to pay for his useless wars.. :x

Although.. if we were to have an elective monarchy... we might end up with idk.. some celebrity like Mark Levengood on the throne so perhaps not... :lol: Ideally we ought to have some sort of House of Lords electing him or her to make that work in a traditional fashion.. and good luck with pushing that through the Riksdag...

Hrafn wrote:and our current king is a dyslexic who goes to striptease shows so that's saying a lot.

Even if you don't understand a single Swedish word, His Majesty's facial expression when asked whenever he'd even been to a strip or sex club is just... epic stuff... :lol:

Hrafn wrote:My avatar is a statue of a famous Swedish peasant rebel leader who opposed Gustav Vasa, by the way. :)
<3
Shiny happy people holding hands
Shiny happy people holding hands
Shiny happy people laughing
Elf

Postby Aethan » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:20 pm

jamescfm wrote:
Hrafn wrote:And there are lots of constitutional monarchies today were the majority of the voters want to keep it that way (which could of course simply be an example of status quo bias).

In my experience, this is the reasoning that most British people use to justify their support for monarchy. When I ask people "why should our head of state be an unelected noble", their response is usually "but why would we change it, she's doing fine". Of course, it's up to you to determine if that's a valid argument but it would certainly seem strange to me to have a party supporting the re-introduction of the monarchy.

This is also used here in Spain, but I'm getting tired of an unelected Head of State that doesn't do anything for his nation.

Maybe some monarchies represent the nation as a society, but in my case, that doesn't happen as all the monarchs Spain has had have been conservative monarchs that have clearly expressed their political views, and that's not the representation of a whole nation, as all monarchs have their own political opinion despite not belonging to a political party. The only exception I can find to this is when our King Juan Carlos signed the approval of the same-sex marriage despite everyone knowing his unofficially opinion on that issue. That's an example of a good Head of State, but it can also be done by a politician. And also, having "some things above politics" in some places ehemhereehem make them "above the law", as they have commited crimes (not serious ones of course, but for example, the current King's sister was involved in a corruption scandal) but they always know the end of it.

I don't know, I would certainly vote for a Republic
In Marea - Civis Sinistram - Selucia Former
Left Bloc - Istalia
Bright Spring - Kirlawa

PT Wiki Admin
Aethan

Postby Hrafn » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:43 pm

Elf wrote:

Even if you don't understand a single Swedish word, His Majesty's facial expression when asked whenever he'd even been to a strip or sex club is just... epic stuff... :lol:

Absolutely hilarious. :lol:

Here's another one:
Hrafn

Postby Ovosok647 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:48 pm

Social Democrats 4 the win
Ovosok647

Previous

Return to Off-topic