Hiking

Anything that is not directly related to the game or its community.

Hiking

Postby Hrafn » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:55 pm

I'm sure there must be more people here who love hiking.

Favorite trails?
Tips and hacks?
Stories?
Hrafn

Re: Hiking

Postby Elf » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:44 pm

I hate being indoors for long periods, especially alone and in a sitting position.. but as a full-time student at renowned ( ;) ) Southernthorn Uni... what choice do I have..?

I live just next to a forest preserve so that where I usually go for getting to know mother nature. Favourite tour is a well about 12 km from here, there and back is quite a nice trail (and a good excuse to pop a couple of few beers afterwards :D ).

Last time I went hiking for real and slept outside must have been in high school We got this wonderful idea of bringing net hammocks with us so we could sleep like inside a cocoon. Very comfortable.... until it started raining... :lol:
Shiny happy people holding hands
Shiny happy people holding hands
Shiny happy people laughing
Elf

Postby Hrafn » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:22 pm

I'm lucky enough to live in Kiruna now, so I can go and climb Sweden's highest mountain every weekend if I want to :mrgreen:

My favorite trail so far has to be the Vistas valley though. Especially in september. A full two days' journey of golden-leaved birch woods framed by increasingly steep mountains. And a cabin at the end where you can pay a reasonable fee for the sauna. I had a moose snooping around my tent one night when I was there. I bet the mosquitos are a pain in the arse (sometimes literally :lol: ) if you do it in the summer though.
I hurt my knee walking on a particularly rocky part of the trail and had to spend a whole day lying in the tent. With no phone coverage, and therefor no interwebs, there was nothing else to do besides eating peanuts and drinking whiskey the whole day :lol:

Elf wrote:I hate being indoors for long periods, especially alone and in a sitting position.. but as a full-time student at renowned ( ;) ) Southernthorn Uni... what choice do I have..?

I live just next to a forest preserve so that where I usually go for getting to know mother nature. Favourite tour is a well about 12 km from here, there and back is quite a nice trail (and a good excuse to pop a couple of few beers afterwards :D ).

Are you talking about Tyresta National Park? That's awesome!
What on earth brought you to Södertörn University if I may ask, trying to infiltrate? :mrgreen:
Hrafn

Postby jamescfm » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:13 pm

Last edited by jamescfm on Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamescfm

Postby TPPDJT » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:27 am

I've hiked some small mountains in my area, but I'm most proud of hiking parts of the Garden of the Gods in Colorado. It's a very beautiful place with tons of exotic rock formations to traverse and explore.
"Whoever excommunicates me, excommunicates God." - Girolamo Savonarola

"In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king." - Desiderius Erasmus
TPPDJT

Postby FPC » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:57 pm

Hiking in Scotland: amazing.. except from when it rains (which is most of the time tbh)
Used to be relevant
FPC

Postby Maxington » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:15 pm

Hiking in Trinidad is fun (when its not in the rainy season). If you hike during the rainy season expect a tree to come barrelling towards you due to landslides.
"The future of the Nation is in the children's school bags" ~ Dr. Eric Williams
President of the Trond Henrichsen Institute for International Affairs.
Maxington

Return to Off-topic