Lord of the Rings vs Harry Potter vs Game of Thrones

Anything that is not directly related to the game or its community.

Lord of the Rings vs Harry Potter vs Game of Thrones

Postby Hrafn » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:11 pm

Looking to start a flaming argument about something trivial. :twisted:

Which of these fantasy epics is the best? Best plot, best characters, best writing, best morals, whatever you think is relevant.

(To clarify, by LOTR I really mean the trilogy plus all the backstory, the Silmarillion etc., and by GoT I mean either the book series A Song of Ice and Fire or the tv-series Game of Thrones. For Harry Potter, I'm only interested in the books, because the film adaptions are obviously atrocious.)
Hrafn

Re: Lord of the Rings vs Harry Potter vs Game of Thrones

Postby Corvo Attano » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:20 pm

Warhammer 40k for the win.

When you win you still lose.
Fatherland Front

Nationmaster of Malivia
Corvo Attano

Postby TPPDJT » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:04 pm

If anyone says Harry Potter is better than ASoIaF or LOTR I am going to be very, very mad.

Personally I would rank ASoIaF slightly ahead of LOTR with Harry Potter a definite last place.
"Whoever excommunicates me, excommunicates God." - Girolamo Savonarola

"In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king." - Desiderius Erasmus
TPPDJT

Postby Hrafn » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:05 pm

Firstly, I think that GoT/ASOIAF sucks. Granted, I got bored to death with it after two or three seasons, and I only read the first book. Or the first three chapters or something. So I might have missed something.

I get that it's supposed to be about how power corrupts and how politics reward the ruthless and that people in general are selfish (and if not, they're probably stupid) and you should abandon all hope of making the world better blah blah blah. Yes, I get it. But that's not enough to build a story on, let alone an entire series of brick-sized books. A hundred hours of backstabbing, raping, random anti-climactic deaths, raping, family dinners and raping is neither engaging, thrilling or cathartic. It's dull. Even if there's a snarky dwarf.
Martin is trying way to hard to be grimdark and edgy.
Hrafn

Postby Hrafn » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:06 pm

TPPDJT wrote:If anyone says Harry Potter is better than ASoIaF or LOTR I am going to be very, very mad.

Personally I would rank ASoIaF slightly ahead of LOTR with Harry Potter a definite last place.

Harry Potter is waaaaaay better than ASOIAF.
Hrafn

Postby TPPDJT » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:06 pm

Hrafn wrote:
TPPDJT wrote:If anyone says Harry Potter is better than ASoIaF or LOTR I am going to be very, very mad.

Harry Potter is waaaaaay better than ASOIAF.

:shock: :o

TPPDJT

Postby TPPDJT » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:25 pm

Hrafn wrote:Firstly, I think that GoT/ASOIAF sucks. Granted, I got bored to death with it after two or three seasons, and I only read the first book. Or the first three chapters or something. So I might have missed something.

I get that it's supposed to be about how power corrupts and how politics reward the ruthless and that people in general are selfish (and if not, they're probably stupid) and you should abandon all hope of making the world better blah blah blah. Yes, I get it. But that's not enough to build a story on, let alone an entire series of brick-sized books. A hundred hours of backstabbing, raping, random anti-climactic deaths, raping, family dinners and raping is neither engaging, thrilling or cathartic. It's dull. Even if there's a snarky dwarf.
Martin is trying way to hard to be grimdark and edgy.

ASOIAF does drag a lot, perhaps because Martin wants to demonstrate he can write 1000+ page books, but I think that as the story progresses it becomes much more tolerable. The TV show is rather lazy and changes the story up way to much, but it still is rather enjoyable for those that found the books boring.

TPPDJT

Postby Elf » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:49 pm

Comparing LotR to ASoIF feels like comparing the old testament with the new or something. :lol:

Personally, I get a bit too nostalgic about LotR and all the stuff that's come with it (music, art - especially before the movies) to not choose that one. But ASoIF has better character development and I really love all the political intrigue.

I'd like Harry Potter more if the author wasn't who she is... in all fairness though, she's good at writing books and should stick to that instead of speaking about politics and stuff. Can get a bit nostalgic about HP (the sauce is damn good too lol) as well, I mean - who wouldn't want to be a Slytherin? :D

But its nowhere near the others. A better comparison would be Discworld or something, maybe Dune. As for favourite fantasy setting its Glorantha (think you should like that one too Hrafn...) which is actually originally began as an experiment by a practising real life shaman a way to deepen his own understanding of mythology. Apart from the King of Dragon's Pass game though... and some fan stories, there's unfortunately no Magnum opus for that one. Yet.
Shiny happy people holding hands
Shiny happy people holding hands
Shiny happy people laughing
Elf

Postby TPPDJT » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:05 pm

Elf wrote:
I'd like Harry Potter more if the author wasn't who she is... in all fairness though, she's good at writing books and should stick to that instead of speaking about politics and stuff.

J.K. Rowling was living off welfare before she wrote The Sorcerer's Stone. Now, she's an entitled liberal worth a billion dollars (the Harry Potter brand is worth around 15 billion.)

It's pretty ironic if you think about it.

TPPDJT

Postby Corvo Attano » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:36 pm

TPPDJT wrote:
Elf wrote:
I'd like Harry Potter more if the author wasn't who she is... in all fairness though, she's good at writing books and should stick to that instead of speaking about politics and stuff.

J.K. Rowling was living off welfare before she wrote The Sorcerer's Stone. Now, she's an entitled liberal worth a billion dollars (the Harry Potter brand is worth around 15 billion.)

It's pretty ironic if you think about it.

That life isn't fair and worth living but we do it anyway because fuck it that what it means to be human?
Fatherland Front

Nationmaster of Malivia
Corvo Attano

Next

Return to Off-topic