Is history the same thing as change?

Anything that is not directly related to the game or its community.

Is history the same as change?

Yes
23%
No
46%
Who cares?
No votes
Im not sure
31%

Total votes : 13

Re: Is history the same thing as change?

Postby Molotov » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:53 pm

You're not reading too much into it, Amazeroth.

The author isn't suggesting that 'history is change', but he's suggesting that this is the general Western conception of history. It is an orientalist perception, you see it in depictions of Indian civilisation during the 19th Century. It's all linked to a Western idea of 'progress', of which Americans are still particularly fond, that history is a progression and that civilisations must always be moving. The author is critiquing this position (Holmberg's mistake) rather than suggesting it is correct.

Of course history is not the same as change, and I don't believe the author meant to suggest it was. Amazeroth, I also disagree that change is omnipresent or inevitable. I just believe that the last few centuries of Western civilisation, which have been characterised by a hitherto unseen (in ten thousand years of human history) rapid advancement in many areas of our life, and a rapid expansion of humanity across the globe.
Molotov

Re: Is history the same thing as change?

Postby Amazeroth » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:27 am

Molotov wrote:You're not reading too much into it, Amazeroth.

The author isn't suggesting that 'history is change', but he's suggesting that this is the general Western conception of history. It is an orientalist perception, you see it in depictions of Indian civilisation during the 19th Century. It's all linked to a Western idea of 'progress', of which Americans are still particularly fond, that history is a progression and that civilisations must always be moving. The author is critiquing this position (Holmberg's mistake) rather than suggesting it is correct.

Of course history is not the same as change, and I don't believe the author meant to suggest it was. Amazeroth, I also disagree that change is omnipresent or inevitable. I just believe that the last few centuries of Western civilisation, which have been characterised by a hitherto unseen (in ten thousand years of human history) rapid advancement in many areas of our life, and a rapid expansion of humanity across the globe.

Change doesn't equal advancement. Change simply is change. If the only thing happening is you growing older, there's still change.
Eines Tages traf Karl der Große eine alte Frau.
"Guten Tag, alte Frau", sagte Karl der Große.
"Guten Tag, Karl der Große", sagte die alte Frau.
Solche und ähnliche Geschichten erzählt man sich über die Leutseligkeit Karls des Großen.
Amazeroth

Previous

Return to Off-topic