Quotes of the Day

Anything that is not directly related to the game or its community.

Quotes of the Day

Postby Mr.Yankees » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:59 am

I thought this may be a good idea to have. I don't know if it was done on the old forums or not but I think it might entertaining. I will post quotes on politics or any other related issue every once in a while. Obviously, I won't be able to do it every day, so feel free to post your own. Also, you are free to discuss any quotes posted as much as you like. Please, try to cite the quotes so we know where it comes from.

I hope this idea takes off and has some success. We'll see.

OK, let's start.

" 'Politics' is made up of two words, 'poli,' which is Greek for 'many,' and 'tics,' which are blood-sucking insects."- Gore Vidal

"Democracy's the worst form of government except for all the others." - Winston Churchill

"In Germany, under the law everything is prohibited except that which is permitted. In France, under the law everything is permitted except that which is prohibited. In the Soviet Union, everything is prohibited, including that which is permitted. And in Italy, under the law everything is permitted, especially that which is prohibited. " - Newton Minow

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." - Voltaire

"Whoever would overthrow the liberty of a nation must begin by subduing the freeness of speech. "- Benjamin Franklin

"What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure. "- Thomas Jefferson (This is one of my personal favorites)

"It's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it. " - Unknown

"Blessed are the young, for they will inherit the national debt." - President Herbert Hoover

"When I meet a government which says to me, "Your money or your life," why should I be in haste to give it my money? "- H.D. Thoreau

"War is a continuation of policy by other means" - Clausewitz

"Success is the sole earthly judge of right or wrong." - Adolf Hitler

Since this is the first edition, I posted quite a few. If this continues, I will probably post a lesser amount.
Fighting for the people, supported by the people.
Mr.Yankees

Re: Quotes of the Day

Postby GreekIdiot » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:42 am

"Whoever would overthrow the liberty of a nation must begin by subduing the freeness of speech. "- Benjamin Franklin

Hmm...I'm not so sure about that. You can always exploit the wonders of free speech and achieve undemocratic goals. It's called propaganda - slowly and steadily things become a habit and slowly and steadily people get accustomed to whatever changes. If you begin subduing the freeness of speech you end up becoming something ugly and radically altered, something which the people dislike and even if you are good or bad, you'll still get the death sack this time.

"It's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it. " - Unknown

This is actually surprisingly brilliant.
The Terran Times
Also being that guy who's pretending to be this guy.
GreekIdiot

Postby YankeeHater » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:43 am

I'm sooooooooo glad we can now know your favorite quotes. Tomorrow will you tell us who you think makes the best pizza?
YankeeHater

Postby GreekIdiot » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:00 am

I bet your favorite quote is: "I'm so annoying when I lose - it's because someone annoyed me when I lost."
The Terran Times
GreekIdiot

Postby Xanathos » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:07 am

George S.K wrote:I bet your favorite quote is: "I'm so annoying when I lose - it's because someone annoyed me when I lost."

lol George

Seriously Yankeehater, give it a rest!
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan
Xanathos

Postby Darvian » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:09 am

It does make for an entertaining show. We need an emoticon displaying a smiley eating popcorn.
Darvian

Postby Khaler » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:20 am

Mr.Yankees wrote:"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." - Voltaire

Voltaire never said that... it is just like "Et tu, Brute?", made up by later author.
Be on your OLD GUARD, stand firm in the faith!
-1 Selucians 16:13
Khaler

Location: Great Democratic Republic of Khaleristan, a member of the caring and loving Russian Federation!

Postby Darvian » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:33 am

"Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists."
-H. L. Mencken
Darvian

Postby GreekIdiot » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:14 pm

"I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance."
- Socrates
The Terran Times
GreekIdiot

Postby Opakidabar » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:27 pm

"There are only two things one should know about humans - they are all the same, and they are all different"
(not sure if translation is correct)
Opakidabar

Next

Return to Off-topic