Quotes of the Day

Anything that is not directly related to the game or its community.

Re: Quotes of the Day

Postby Mr.Yankees » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:48 pm

Opakidabar wrote:"There are only two things one should know about humans - they are all the same, and they are all different"
(not sure if translation is correct)

I think that sounds about right. I have heard it before just like that.
Khaler wrote:
Mr.Yankees wrote:"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." - Voltaire

Voltaire never said that... it is just like "Et tu, Brute?", made up by later author.

Yes, I know it was made up by another author to describe his attitude but most people still know it as being by Voltaire's. Not that it is correct but that's who people really know not the book's author.

Good catch, by the way.
Fighting for the people, supported by the people.
Mr.Yankees

Postby Darvian » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:43 pm

Why not more Mencken?

"The capacity of human beings to bore one another seems to be vastly greater than that of any other animal."
H. L. Mencken
Darvian

Postby Mr.Yankees » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:46 am

Darvian wrote:Why not more Mencken?

"The capacity of human beings to bore one another seems to be vastly greater than that of any other animal."
H. L. Mencken

I could not agree more. I will go one step further and say that human beings also have the capacity to bore themselves to death by doing the same activities day in and day out. After all, most human beings are creatures of habit and change is difficult for many of them.
Mr.Yankees

Postby JuliaAJA » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:38 am

Darvian wrote:It does make for an entertaining show. We need an emoticon displaying a smiley eating popcorn.

That's a great idea.

I have alot of the Particracy qoutes from a few months ago, then I gave up on collecting them. If someone wants, I could make a list of all of them.

Some from December 17 or 18, 2008 wrote:Random quote: "Laws: We know what they are, and what they are worth! They are spider webs for the rich and mighty steel chains for the poor and weak fishing nets in the hands of government." - Pierre Joseph Proudhon

Random quote: "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. - George Washington

Random quote: "A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Random quote: "You can't be in politics unless you can walk in a room and know in a minute who's for you and who's against you." - Samuel Johnson

Random quote: "Freedom is not worth having if it does not connote freedom to err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Joined Particracy on: December 18, 2008
Click here for my versions of Siggon's spreadsheets.
JuliaAJA

Postby Sam » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:59 pm

Time for some Soviet goodness (jethro isn't here, so I have to do this myself):

"True conformity is possible only in the cemetery."
-Stalin

"This war is not as in the past; whoever occupies a territory also imposes on it his own social system. Everyone imposes his own system as far as his army can reach. It cannot be otherwise. If now there is not a communist government in Paris, it is only because Russia has no army which can reach Paris in 1945."
-Stalin, according to Milovan Djilas

"The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
-Stalin

"The Pope! How many divisions does he have?"
-Stalin to Pierre Laval

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?"
-Stalin

"The functionaries of our political organizations and trade unions are corrupted, or rather tend to be corrupted, by the conditions of capitalism and betray a tendency to become bureaucrats, i.e., privileged persons divorced from the people and standing above the people."
-Lenin

"There can be no freedom so long as the state exists. When there is freedom there will not be a state."
-Lenin

"It is true that liberty is precious - so precious that it must be rationed."
-Lenin

"The living will envy the dead."
-Khrushchev

"Germany is and will remain divided, and Germany never will rise again. "
-Khrushchev

"Soviet rockets can find Halley's comet and fly to Venus with amazing accuracy, yet many of our household appliances are still of poor quality."
-Gorbachev

"We had ten years after the Cold War to build a new world order and yet we squandered them. The United States cannot tolerate anyone acting independently. Every American president has to have a war."
-Gorbachev
"The FSB finally caught him for talking shit about replacing Putin with this "Saiser" character. I'm guessing they're up to his seventh toenail by now."
- Dynastia on jethro
Sam

Postby Mr.Yankees » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:27 am

OK. My quotes of the day.

"If Congress has a right under the Constitution to issue paper money, it was given to them to use by themselves, not to be delegated to individuals or corporations." - Andrew Jackson

"The Golden Rule : He who has the gold, makes the rules." - Unknown

"You always write it's bombing, bombing, bombing. It's not bombing, it's air support." - -- Air Force Colonel David Opfer, complaining to reporters about their coverage of the Vietnam War.

"Political language -- and with variations this is true of all political parties, from Conservatives to Anarchists -- is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind. "- George Orwell

"The secret of managing is to keep the guys who hate you away from the guys who are undecided." - Casey Stengel (baseball manager)

"Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds."- Albert Einstein

"By giving us the opinions of the uneducated, [journalism] keeps us in touch with the ignorance of the community." - Oscar Wilde

"Media' is the plural for 'mediocre'." - Rene Saguisag

"You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will give you a look that says, "My God, you're right! I never would've thought of that!" - Sean Connery

"A race of people is like and individual man; until it uses its own talent, takes pride in its own history, expresses its own culture, affirms its own selfhood, it can never fulfill itself." - Malcolm X

Enjoy!
Mr.Yankees

Postby Fred » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:02 am

It is the one great weakness of journalism as a picture of our modern existence, that it must be a picture made up entirely of exceptions. We announce on flaring posters that a man has fallen off a scaffolding. We do not announce on flaring posters that a man has not fallen off a scaffolding. Yet this latter fact is fundamentally more exciting, as indicating that that moving tower of terror and mystery, a man, is still abroad upon the earth. That the man has not fallen off a scaffolding is really more sensational; and it is also some thousand times more common. But journalism cannot reasonably be expected thus to insist upon the permanent miracles. Busy editors cannot be expected to put on their posters, "Mr. Wilkinson Still Safe," or "Mr. Jones, of Worthing, Not Dead Yet." They cannot announce the happiness of mankind at all. They cannot describe all the forks that are not stolen, or all the marriages that are not judiciously dissolved. Hence the complex picture they give of life is of necessity fallacious; they can only represent what is unusual. However democratic they may be, they are only concerned with the minority. - G. K. Chesterton
Fred

Postby GreekIdiot » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:36 pm

Mr.Yankees wrote:"Media' is the plural for 'mediocre'." - Rene Saguisag

Hm....that sounds very....meaningful but myself being not a native speaker of English, I didn't quite catch it.
The Terran Times
Also being that guy who's pretending to be this guy.
GreekIdiot

Postby Khaler » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:43 pm

"Germany is and will remain divided, and Germany never will rise again. "
-Khrushchev

Poor Khrushchev, he was as completely wrong as his predecessors were on everything. :(
Be on your OLD GUARD, stand firm in the faith!
-1 Selucians 16:13
Khaler

Location: Great Democratic Republic of Khaleristan, a member of the caring and loving Russian Federation!

Postby Sam » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:44 pm

That's why I put that quote.
"The FSB finally caught him for talking shit about replacing Putin with this "Saiser" character. I'm guessing they're up to his seventh toenail by now."
- Dynastia on jethro
Sam

PreviousNext

Return to Off-topic