Requests: Cultural Protocols - CPs

Submit your requests on various areas of the game.

Moderator: RP Committee

Re: Cultural Protocol Queries (Approvals/Violations/Open)

Postby Reddy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:01 am

http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill. ... lid=627470

Cultural Protocols for Cobura. No changes.
To live outside the law, you must be honest.
Reddy

Postby jamescfm » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:22 pm

Reddy wrote:http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill.php?billid=627470

Cultural Protocols for Cobura. No changes.

The bill passed here is different from the Cultural Protocol linked in the Index but I understand that it is the same as the one currently sitting in the debate section. Taking a quick look it seems there have been at least two passed Cultural Protcols since the one in the Index. I don't know what exactly has happened in the interim period or why the Index is so outdated but the easiest and fairest thing to do seems to be to treat this as an update. Per the Game Rules, we must now wait 48 hours before the update can be approved.
jamescfm

Postby Artrod » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:56 pm

Cultural protocol update for Egelion: http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill. ... lid=627487

Minor changes to ethnicity and religion.
Artrod

Postby jamescfm » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:31 pm

Artrod wrote:Cultural protocol update for Egelion: http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill. ... lid=627487

This would update the cultural protocol of a culturally protected country. As per the Game Rules, there will now be a 48 hour period for players to offer comment on the proposal before it can be approved.

From my point of view, my only query is the removal of the "Lusitanian" (Portugese) minority. Is there any particular reason behind this?
jamescfm

Postby Artrod » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:22 pm

jamescfm wrote:
Artrod wrote:Cultural protocol update for Egelion: http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill. ... lid=627487

This would update the cultural protocol of a culturally protected country. As per the Game Rules, there will now be a 48 hour period for players to offer comment on the proposal before it can be approved.

From my point of view, my only query is the removal of the "Lusitanian" (Portugese) minority. Is there any particular reason behind this?

I put them under the "Other" section, from a RP view it can be explained by miscegenation during years.

From an OOC view, I didn't found any representation of them in any Egelion RP in all this "game" years. If it's not okay I can change back.
Artrod

Postby Yolo04 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:22 pm

http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill. ... 1&vote=yes

Only major changes to the CP of Keymon are the changes to the religious percentages
List of Parties:
Image Keymon, Four Pillars Party (MQP): ACTIVE

Dankuk, Hwanghu Dang Party (4613): INACTIVE
Yolo04

Location: West Virginia, USA (haha country roads jokes are so funny)

Postby jamescfm » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:50 pm

Artrod wrote:I put them under the "Other" section, from a RP view it can be explained by miscegenation during years.

From an OOC view, I didn't found any representation of them in any Egelion RP in all this "game" years. If it's not okay I can change back.

I don't think it should be an issue, I just thought that I would check. As it happens the "Lusitanians" were a real-life group and the term is often used to reference Portugal (e.g. "Lusophone") so it probably isn't a great in-game equivalent at any rate.
jamescfm

Postby jamescfm » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:07 pm

Yolo04 wrote:http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill.php?billid=627461&vote=yes

Only major changes to the CP of Keymon are the changes to the religious percentages

A couple of concerns from my perspective. The cultural protocol makes reference to the "Keymonite" ethnic group without defining what this means. I appreciate that you probably wrote this bill before the new rules came into place, but it is still necessary to include a description or real-life equivalent. In this case, I assume that it refers to the "Ammuntagnu" (Corsican) and "Felugu" (Sardinian) people considered collectively. A short sentence clarifying this might be useful.

In terms of the actual changes, there is a significant increase in the Canrillaise (French) population, 8 pp compared to the last cultural protocol passed only twenty-five years ago (in-game). I think you may need to provide some role-play evidence to support this increase. The most obvious change though- as you say- is to the religious demographics. "Hosianism" received a 30pp increase, with the "Aurorian Patriarchal Church" specifically receiving a 40pp increase, plus the elimination of "Religio Seluciana" which previously accounted for 10% of the population and a 8pp reduction in the "Other" group.

I have to be honest that I think it is highly unlikely that we would be able to approve such substantial changes to religious demographics in such a short timespan and certainly not without some compelling role-play evidence.
jamescfm

Postby Yolo04 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:22 pm

jamescfm wrote:
Yolo04 wrote:http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill.php?billid=627461&vote=yes

A couple of concerns from my perspective. The cultural protocol makes reference to the "Keymonite" ethnic group without defining what this means. I appreciate that you probably wrote this bill before the new rules came into place, but it is still necessary to include a description or real-life equivalent. In this case, I assume that it refers to the "Ammuntagnu" (Corsican) and "Felugu" (Sardinian) people considered collectively. A short sentence clarifying this might be useful.

In terms of the actual changes, there is a significant increase in the Canrillaise (French) population, 8 pp compared to the last cultural protocol passed only twenty-five years ago (in-game). I think you may need to provide some role-play evidence to support this increase. The most obvious change though- as you say- is to the religious demographics. "Hosianism" received a 30pp increase, with the "Aurorian Patriarchal Church" specifically receiving a 40pp increase, plus the elimination of "Religio Seluciana" which previously accounted for 10% of the population and a 8pp reduction in the "Other" group.

I have to be honest that I think it is highly unlikely that we would be able to approve such substantial changes to religious demographics in such a short timespan and certainly not without some compelling role-play evidence.

I’m happy to elaborate further on this.

The Keymonite ethnic group is the generalized term for both the Ammuntagnu and Felugu people. The best IRL equivalent I can think of off of the top of my head is the Bosniak ethnic group, which is made up of the Bosniaks, Bosnian Croats, Bosnian Serbs, etc, however they are all generally referred to as Bosniak, despite some small regional differences. (This May or May not be the best example but it should further explain)

On the topic of Canrillaise population increases, it changed it due to the casualties among the Keymonite ethnic group during the civil war (I was originally thinking a million casualties, but that seemed a bit high for a civil war, so I went for 500k casualties/refugees). Since the Canrillaise Population mainly lives in New Valois, which was not touched by the civil war, I believed there population percentages would increase.

On the topic of the Hosian percentage change, that is due to recent laws passed IG, which reduce the ability of non-Hosian religions to do missionary work and required Hosian prayer in schools. Also of note is the fact that a majority of Canrillaise immigrants are of the Aurorian faith. With the Canrillaise population making up more of Keymon, laws that directly harm the spread of other religions, and with the government (secretly) discriminating against those of none Hosian beliefs, I believe the change would occur.

I will admit I’ve been slacking on religious RP, and I do intend on making more posts about it in the future. I’ve always believed that having Selucian Pagansim as the second largest religious group was always a bit strange, so that also contributes to it’s decreasing in size.
List of Parties:
Image Keymon, Four Pillars Party (MQP): ACTIVE

Dankuk, Hwanghu Dang Party (4613): INACTIVE
Yolo04

Location: West Virginia, USA (haha country roads jokes are so funny)

Postby jamescfm » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:52 pm

Yolo04 wrote:I’m happy to elaborate further on this.

The Keymonite ethnic group is the generalized term for both the Ammuntagnu and Felugu people. The best IRL equivalent I can think of off of the top of my head is the Bosniak ethnic group, which is made up of the Bosniaks, Bosnian Croats, Bosnian Serbs, etc, however they are all generally referred to as Bosniak, despite some small regional differences. (This May or May not be the best example but it should further explain)

On the topic of Canrillaise population increases, it changed it due to the casualties among the Keymonite ethnic group during the civil war (I was originally thinking a million casualties, but that seemed a bit high for a civil war, so I went for 500k casualties/refugees). Since the Canrillaise Population mainly lives in New Valois, which was not touched by the civil war, I believed there population percentages would increase.

On the topic of the Hosian percentage change, that is due to recent laws passed IG, which reduce the ability of non-Hosian religions to do missionary work and required Hosian prayer in schools. Also of note is the fact that a majority of Canrillaise immigrants are of the Aurorian faith. With the Canrillaise population making up more of Keymon, laws that directly harm the spread of other religions, and with the government (secretly) discriminating against those of none Hosian beliefs, I believe the change would occur.

I will admit I’ve been slacking on religious RP, and I do intend on making more posts about it in the future. I’ve always believed that having Selucian Pagansim as the second largest religious group was always a bit strange, so that also contributes to it’s decreasing in size.

I think the generalised term "Keymonite" is fine although I am not sure your example is the best comparison (the term Bosniak is not usually used to refer to Bosnian Serbs or Croats) . Perhaps a better one would be the British people with English, Welsh and Scottish people (to a certain degree) recognising both identities. Either way it is fine to have "ethnic groups within ethnic groups" but you do need to mention this description in the Cultural Protocol bill. I would recommend either adding "Keymonite (general term for Ammuntagnu and Felugu)" into the percentages section, or adding a sentence somewhere that says "the term Keymonite is often used to refer to both the Ammuntagnu and Felugu".

Although I kept broadly up to speed with Keymon's civil war, I will be honest in saying that I do not know it well enough to make an assessment about whether those casualties figures are realistic or accurate, but I am willing to take you at your word on it. The increase in the Canrillaise population alone would not- in my view- be sufficient reason to reject the Cultural Protocol.

On the religious demographics, I do not feel that I have seen sufficient evidence to permit the approval of such a significant increase in the Hosian population. The increase that is being proposed here essentially amounts to almost a third of the entire population converting to Hosianism within a single generation. Although government policy and demographic changes are likely to have an effect on the religious demographics, such substantial numbers of people are unlikely to convert in such a short space of time.

My recommendation would be to pass a new bill taking into account this feedback. In particular: ensure that the meaning of "Keymonite" is clear, and present some more modest increases in the religious demographics.
jamescfm

PreviousNext

Return to Requests