Requests: Cultural Protocols - CPs

Submit your requests on various areas of the game.

Moderator: RP Committee

Re: Requests: Cultural Protocols - CPs [M]

Postby itsjustgav » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:49 pm

But you know what, okay. I am starting it all over. Doing it in a way you want it, I guess. I will submit a new one. It will be passed and we are going to dot the i's and cross the t's.
itsjustgav

Postby jamescfm » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:22 pm

itsjustgav wrote:I think you are misunderstanding it. The bill itself is PASSED. The "Religion" section is CLEAR. It shows the breakdown of the denominations and how it adds up (i.e. how many percent of the Mordusian population is Hosian, and then how many percent of the Mordusian population is Luthorian or Bishopal). I think it might have been the spacing that formed the confusion, but this should be easily clarified by placing a few dash lines that it's a Hosian denomination of which can be done on another proposal that will be displayed in the nation page. I do not see any other reason why it cannot be considered for approval. If you may, please find time to review the passed bill and the other bills shown on the nation page. Thank you.

Thanks for your response but I have not misunderstood. I have reviewed the passed bill and have decided it cannot be approved because the "Religion" section does not distinguish between religions and denominations.

If you would like submit a modified version of this proposal, please pass a bill according to section 7 of the Game Rules. You cannot modify the proposal after the bill has been passed and Moderation cannot review bills that have not been passed. If you have further questions, please let me know.
jamescfm

Postby itsjustgav » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:25 pm

Thank you, bureaucracy!
itsjustgav

Postby itsjustgav » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:02 am

http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill. ... lid=702855

A new UPDATED, PASSED, and CLEAR Cultural Protocol Bill for Mordusia
itsjustgav

Postby ReformedEndralon » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:30 am

This is a pre-emptive post.

For the third time jamescfm has proposed a cultural protocol on Solentia. This time it has passed, (previously one was archived and one was deleted after the party disbanded). I object to it for various reasons.

Lack of activity from the proposing party - The Bright Future party has been refounded on several occasions. In terms of party legislation it has proposed very little legislation, focusing its efforts on Cultural Protocols and constitutional amendments. Likewise on the forum the only post in the Solentia newspaper was to complain after it had been disbanded and I RP'd its leaders had been arrested. The fact the party has no visibilities despite having been active in Solentia several times in the last few decadeds speaks volumes.

Game Rules - The games rules state - "Proposals for new Cultural Protocols in Culturally Open nations must have the support (voting "yes") of one party that has been continuously active (i.e. no inactivations) within the respective nation for 7 days". When Bright Future refounded the first bill they proposed was an early election motion in May 5472, it is now May 5474. So the passed Cultural Protocol was definitely passed within seven days of Bright Future becoming active again. I believe this rule has not been met.

Previous Attempts at RP/Cultural protocols Game Rules Section 7 Rules 5 and 6 state;

5. Cultural Protocols should generally be reflective of RP conducted within the nation and should not significantly alter or modify the ethnic, religious or linguistic composition without considerable and reasonable role-play or other justification;
6. Cultural Protocols cannot directly contravene long-standing or historically significant role-play or cultural groups within a nation. Cultural Protocols are meant to enhance the cultural and role-play experience within a nation;

Not only has Bright Future not contributed any RP to Solentia, but its passed Cultural Protocol goes against the spirit of both 5 and 6. Although Solentia is a cultural open nation and has been a largely inactive country for most of the last 500 game years, with either one party rule or no party activity, efforts have been made to RP.

During this time I have played in the country for a number of years and have attempted to build up some activity, RP and developed the historical background, with significant inputs to the game (legislation, RP bills etc (http://classic.particracy.net/viewparty ... tyid=43950)), the wiki (Zophiel 20 - https://particracy.fandom.com/wiki/Sole ... on=history) and the forum newspaper (most posts from here - viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7182&start=730#p178189).

I had invested a fair amount of time in Solentia, and sought to develop the nation and its culture. Draft protocols were put forward on two occasions http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill. ... lid=675359 and http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill. ... lid=681795 after I had played and RP’d for a period of time. Unfortunately the second set were not accepted by the Mods (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8606&start=1710#p187701).

Summary. Years ago the the Cultural Protocol rules were designed to stop nation raiding, or a party turning up and implementing CP without any contribution to the development of RP. It would appear those rules are no longer in effect. If there had been any effort by jamescfm to RP in Solentia then I could understand the attempt at pushing a CP. But there has been none.
ReformedEndralon

Postby jamescfm » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:05 pm

itsjustgav wrote:http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill.php?billid=702855

As this would update the cultural protocol of a culturally protected country, there will now be a forty-eight hour period where any player can offer feedback on the update before it can be accepted.
jamescfm

Postby jamescfm » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:06 pm

ReformedEndralon wrote:This is a pre-emptive post.

For the third time jamescfm has proposed a cultural protocol on Solentia. This time it has passed, (previously one was archived and one was deleted after the party disbanded). I object to it for various reasons.

Lack of activity from the proposing party - The Bright Future party has been refounded on several occasions. In terms of party legislation it has proposed very little legislation, focusing its efforts on Cultural Protocols and constitutional amendments. Likewise on the forum the only post in the Solentia newspaper was to complain after it had been disbanded and I RP'd its leaders had been arrested. The fact the party has no visibilities despite having been active in Solentia several times in the last few decadeds speaks volumes.

Game Rules - The games rules state - "Proposals for new Cultural Protocols in Culturally Open nations must have the support (voting "yes") of one party that has been continuously active (i.e. no inactivations) within the respective nation for 7 days". When Bright Future refounded the first bill they proposed was an early election motion in May 5472, it is now May 5474. So the passed Cultural Protocol was definitely passed within seven days of Bright Future becoming active again. I believe this rule has not been met.

Previous Attempts at RP/Cultural protocols Game Rules Section 7 Rules 5 and 6 state;

5. Cultural Protocols should generally be reflective of RP conducted within the nation and should not significantly alter or modify the ethnic, religious or linguistic composition without considerable and reasonable role-play or other justification;
6. Cultural Protocols cannot directly contravene long-standing or historically significant role-play or cultural groups within a nation. Cultural Protocols are meant to enhance the cultural and role-play experience within a nation;

Not only has Bright Future not contributed any RP to Solentia, but its passed Cultural Protocol goes against the spirit of both 5 and 6. Although Solentia is a cultural open nation and has been a largely inactive country for most of the last 500 game years, with either one party rule or no party activity, efforts have been made to RP.

During this time I have played in the country for a number of years and have attempted to build up some activity, RP and developed the historical background, with significant inputs to the game (legislation, RP bills etc (http://classic.particracy.net/viewparty ... tyid=43950)), the wiki (Zophiel 20 - https://particracy.fandom.com/wiki/Sole ... on=history) and the forum newspaper (most posts from here - viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7182&start=730#p178189).

I had invested a fair amount of time in Solentia, and sought to develop the nation and its culture. Draft protocols were put forward on two occasions http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill. ... lid=675359 and http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill. ... lid=681795 after I had played and RP’d for a period of time. Unfortunately the second set were not accepted by the Mods (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8606&start=1710#p187701).

Summary. Years ago the the Cultural Protocol rules were designed to stop nation raiding, or a party turning up and implementing CP without any contribution to the development of RP. It would appear those rules are no longer in effect. If there had been any effort by jamescfm to RP in Solentia then I could understand the attempt at pushing a CP. But there has been none.

I have never made any request to implement a cultural protocol in Solentia. I have played in Solentia on two previous occasions. The first occasion was November 2023 and the second occasion was earlier this month. On both occasions, I have inactivated my account because you reactivated your own account and objected to the role-play I had planned in the country. In order to avoid any conflict of interest, I have once again inactivated my account in Solentia. For the record, your claim about my proposal not according with the rules is false. My account was reactivated on 14 April 2024 and the bill was passed yesterday (23 April 2024).

For the sake of full transparency, I have brought your complaint to the attention of Luis1p and GreekIdiot.
jamescfm

Postby jamescfm » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:22 pm

itsjustgav wrote:http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill.php?billid=702855

The proposed update is approved and the Cultural Protocols Index has been updated. Please place a copy of the updated cultural protocol in the "Bills under debate" section for reference. Thanks for your patience.
jamescfm

Postby itsjustgav » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:58 pm

very nice
itsjustgav

Re: Requests: Cultural Protocols - CPs

Postby iltamzumra » Tue May 07, 2024 1:33 pm

New CP Proposal for Dankuk:
http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill. ... lid=703313

Starting with the less controversial bits:
- Swapped around ethnicities a couple of percentage points (based on forum posts here and here)
Kyo 53% -> 56%
Draniano 31% -> 28%
Penru 10% -> 11%

- Renamed some religious dominations to reflect the modern cultural situation better (ex: Zensho was renamed "Seongyo" because Zensho is derived from IRL Japanese; the same characters are read as "Seongyo" in Korean)

I am aware that this is a rather different change; I am proposing that the Draddwyr influences get swapped for Evenk Siberian influences. Below I would like to outline my roleplay justifying and OOC reasons for the proposal.

ROLEPLAY LEADING UP TO THE GREAT PENRU REVIVAL
It has been about 120 in-game years since the events to fundamentally change what was once Draddwyr culture have been in motion. (To be clear, this is not retconning the idea that Draddwyr/Welsh people were ever in Dankuk in the first place. However, it is being reframed as the result of a couple centuries of extensive Alorian influence and manipulation that destroyed an indigenous culture that is now seeking to revive itself. I would like to compare the revival of the Penru language favorably to the IRL revival of Hebrew.)

The first evidence of the development of the Penru Revival Movement is found in a forum post from the in-game year 5354: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7223&p=186819&hilit=penru#p186819

In-game, the year 5358 saw a resolution pass in the Senate dedicated to the creation of the Special Committee on Penru Linguistic Revitalization (SCPLR). whose aim was to "promote the adaptation of academia and encourage wider cultural conversion to the revival of the native Penru language, removed from Alorian imperial influence and based on the native reconstructed language of Penru ancestors."
http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill. ... lid=693732

This was followed by a 5402 bill introducing Penru as a national language:
http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill. ... lid=697310

A piece from 5425 further elaborates on the successes of the Revival Movement:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7223&hilit=penru&start=4193

Another forum post from 5474 indicates that the government has been continually partnering with civic and political groups to sponsor the language:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7223&hilit=penru&start=4208

In-game legislation from 5475 once again changed the motto to reflect Penru as a national language:
http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill. ... lid=702197

A 5478 article post reveals that Penru Paganism is now considered one of the most prominent religions, featuring a representative with a native Penru name:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7223&hilit=penru&start=4210

I would further like to note that my RP in this regard was mentioned by other players, specifically Polites in their post "Sildarian and Utranian Recognized".

Additionally the words are used to refer to the people and language in Dankuk now more commonly known as Penru, a small ethnic group that suffered genocide twice in its long history and that has little in common with Aloria's people...

...pre-existing identities have not been erased, and indeed the Penru and Alorian peoples are keenly aware of their linguistic and ethnic differences.

The in-universe development of the movement was explained in one of the articles above, which I reproduce here:

The historic year of 5354 marked the date when scholars could fully re-open and rediscover the indigenous tongues of our nation and of the long-oppressed and culturally genocided Penru people (in our language, Ələkəsiptil). Visionaries like Altan Omisiɣun were quick to propagate and sponsor the widespread spread of the mother Penru tongue concurrent with national Kyo-language education, combatting the last foreign and colonial vestiges of Draddwyr. By the year 5360, the Rokkito provincial government had authorized the first Penru public education classes and textbooks. Politically and socially, Penru people first organized under the new political party N'garin Hokto, a big tent coalition of community leaders calling first and foremost for a cultural revival in the indigenous Penru way of life amongst Ələkəsiptil communities.

N'garin Hokto stunned the nation by winning a supermajority of regional seats in Kongkito province - home to more than 90% of the nation's Penru population - and from there N'garin Hokto soon teamed up with the old Tomedemo coalition to gain influence in the national government and protect the Penru Cultural Revival movement at home. In Kongkito Province the party continued finance and support the local creation of Penru Language afterschool programs and daycares, the creation of Shamanic Grounds for spiritual practices, the revitalization of local museums and monuments dedicated to the history of the Penru people, and digital support and infrastructure for the Penru language.

The hype around Penru revivalism was spurred in 5364 by the creation of a new non-partisan cultural organization, Bu Ili'tscheren (formal Penru for 'We Stand Together'). While N'garin Hokto moved on to focus more specifically on political issues, Bu Ili'tscheren continued to fight for minority indigenous representation in public forums and institutions, financing the continued growth of cultural initiatives like the aforementioned Penru language schools and museums through grassroots fundraising. In 5368, Baeguk's largest social media platform, KofiTalk (formerly known UriLink and later UriTalk), officially released a patch updated with full Penru language translations and service, setting a precedent quickly followed by many media companies across the nation. In 5402, the Federal Government officially recognized and promulgated Penru as one of the national languages, on the same level as Kyo and Draniano. This was a particularly significant win because it mandated that the government translate all texts and policies into Penru, for it to provide Penru language services and translators nationally, and for the Federal education system to include secondary language classes in Penru, all of which helped cement the language and culture's role in Baegukese society.

These efforts culminated in the 5425 election of Schelebeje Burkanbol as Prime Minister, the first Head of Government in modern times to hail from a Penru background. PM Schelebeje was born to a Penru-speaking household, spoke it as his native language, and was infused with a culture of Ələkəsipti Shamanism from birth. He set a precedent that indigenous Baegukese people could climb to the highest offices in the land; his election brought widespread visibility to the Penru Revival Movement at it's height. As Prime Minister, Schelebeje continued to sponsor both N'garin Hokto and Bu Ili'tscheren, both belonging to and characterizing them as the political and cultural arms of the Penru Revival Movement that he continued to help lead. Following his tenure, the Penru Revival Movement continued to stay strong as it nurtured the tight knit communities that had been created in the past 70 years.

During the re-organization of the old Tomedemo party into the New Saenuri Party (NSP), N'garin Hokto's old command structure was dismantled as it was re-imagined as the Penru branch of the wider NSP. While this led to the loss of much political autonomy, membership in the NSP ensures that our voices as a minority group get heard and represented in the highest echelons of government.

OOC PLAYER JUSTIFICATION FOR CHANGE

Personally it has always been a bit awkward for me for how to deal with the Draddwyr population in my RP; in my humble opinion their presence just makes the worldbuilding of Dankuk very strange. To be clear, I understand that PT is supposed to be unrealistic and detached from our reality, but even then when I look at Welsh influence and compare it to the possibilities that an Evenk population could bring I always find my self faltering and unable to reconcile the Draddwyr and modern Dankuk together. I am aware that Dankuk was once Dranland and itself was moreso Welsh, but quite frankly times have changed and I don't think that this forgotten precedent that's been untouched for years is worth preserving over a new and potentially dynamic, increasingly established RP chance to try something more in line with what modern Dankuk has become. This change is still acknowledging past Draddwyr influence through Aloria, it still keeps the structure of the triracial multi-ethnic system, the overall dominant cultures and society are still intact; I don't believe it to fundamentally alter any of the bedrock institutions that makes modern Dankuk, Dankuk. Frankly, I genuinely believe that the Draddwyr had by now become so culturally irrelevant to Dankuk in the 55th century that you could erase them completely and nobody would notice.

At least one other player I used to RP with in the nation agrees with me that they tend to be an obstacle that you have to maneuver around. Frankly, if one looks at the amount of interest and RP relating to the Draddwyr people from the last couple of years, they will find very little in contrast to the vibrant and active RP that has typically characterized the Kyo and Draniano cultures in comparison.

I feel like the post talking about the previous CP for Dankuk sums it up well:
Draddwyr people have (recently, since the last CP of in-game year 4949) been contemporarily portrayed as a small and secluded minority in Dankuk without a large population or significant voice in national affairs. The last forum post in Dankuk explicitly mentioning Draddwyr people before the player that controlled the DNWA (theonewhoknocks) started his RP was written on Sun Jul 18, 2021 (viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7223&p=174659&hilit=draddwyr#p174659 , game year 4969); during that wide gap of time on the thread, countless other allusions were made to the Kyo and Draniano peoples, demonstrating their larger prominence in Dankuk's culture and the PT community's conception of the nation.

I just think there's so much more consistency and potential if we revamp the Draddwyr as a lost people that have refound their indiegenious roots. My mind is bursting with ideas about how to fit in and relate the Penru people to the established history and culture of Dankuk. Finally this would allow for the creation of a comprehensive story on the Proto-Dan peoples and their mysterious ancestors from the 1000s BCE drawing on IRL anthropological links between Tungusic peoples. You could delve deep into differences and similarities between Penru (Evenk) Shamanism and Kyo (Korean) Shamanism, from everything to their tree ropes and colored paper to the wooden duck sticks and totem poles. Maybe that could even influence modern day religious zealots or shape religious rhetoric between groups in the modern day. There could be discussions and research into if Kyo, Draniano, and Penru are truly related or not based on how mutually intelligible they are or from the syntax of their grammar. You could discuss the traditional Evenk dance forms and musical styles, how they might adapt to the modern day with technology. From this initial basis, there are endless possibilities to what types of interconnected cultural dynamics we could explore. Compare this to the Draddwyr which I always struggle to convincingly place in the world of Dankuk - you can tell from past forum posts and various historical articles on the wiki that i've written that it has been weird and difficult to juggle and account for Draddwyr people randomly appearing in Dankuk's history when their culture is just so far removed and alien to the lore that it doesn't make sense anymore in the modern day. Evenk people really seem like they can believably fit into and nurture the story of what modern Dankuk has become since the 3608 revolution; Draddwyr people in contrast are a liability that you have to work around and shove and stretch to make anything convincing.

I also think that the environment of Dankuk (a cold northern mountainous nation) is much more becoming of a Siberian influenced Tungusic culture. Dankuk is supposed to be a very cold place in the north and east; it would be so easy to place and write lore for Evenk people conceivably traveling to and settling a frigid northern peninsula.

I don't mean to be a madman shoving precedent into the waste basket. I am well aware that the Wild West days of PT when you could just change any culture to whatever you wanted are over. But right now I see a very opportune time to be able to shift the culture and lore of Dankuk for the better, so that it's no longer stuck and stagnant in the past just for past's sake, but rather so that it is improved, up-to-date, and fits the new identity it is meant to be and that it has embraced in the modern day. Dranland is dead, this is no longer the Particracy of the early 2010s. With this new CP the cultures are more interconnected, so that the worldbuilding is tighter, so that players can have new avenues to explore as opposed to the old Welsh influences that have been here forever and no recent player has cared for. Furthermore, this is not removing Welsh influences from PT - is already a large Welsh-speaking population in Aloria - far more significant and present in their culture than Draddwyr people have recently been in Dankuk! - that a prospective player can go RP for instead.

I apologize if this post is too radical or if I look crazy, but that was my perspective on the matter and I hope that I gave sufficient reasoning behind the proposal.
iltamzumra

PreviousNext

Return to Requests