Weird, not life threatening bug.

Find and report bugs, issues and problems with the game and the forum.

Weird, not life threatening bug.

Postby GreekIdiot » Fri May 15, 2009 2:12 pm

http://classic.particracy.net/viewparty ... tyid=11265

Take a look. "Seats in 75: [arab text]"
The Terran Times
Also being that guy who's pretending to be this guy.
GreekIdiot

Re: Weird, not life threatening bug.

Postby JosephJ » Sat May 16, 2009 12:56 pm

Probably something to do with how the program handles those characters. I'll bring Wouter's attention to this thread, but it isn't likely to be fixed for Particracy I; it may, however, be fixed in Particracy II, as chances are the same problem could theoretically become manifest there.
I WAS A MODERATOR
I WAS NOT VERY GOOD
JosephJ

Postby GreekIdiot » Sat May 16, 2009 1:37 pm

I honestly thought different characters did not appear in the game. I once tried Greek but had failed completely.
The Terran Times
Also being that guy who's pretending to be this guy.
GreekIdiot

Postby JosephJ » Sat May 16, 2009 1:42 pm

George S.K wrote:I honestly thought different characters did not appear in the game. I once tried Greek but had failed completely.

It depends. I know that the server has had trouble with anything essentially outside the Western alphabets before (when playing in Deltaria I couldn't get certain accented characters to work), and of course it completely borked on any accented character in the transition a while ago.
I WAS A MODERATOR
I WAS NOT VERY GOOD
JosephJ

Postby admtrap » Sat May 16, 2009 10:03 pm

There may not be a real good way to fix that; Arabic is written right-to-left, and is encoded to align right-to-left in Unicode, if I recall correctly. Maybe if you force any user-enterable variable to appear inside an HTML table cell (not sure, maybe a SPAN element would work too?), you can force the text to appear where it is desired, but otherwise... it's a mixture of Western and MidEastern writing systems, and they don't play well together.

It could be worse. Asian languages are often written Top to Bottom... mix all three and who knows what crazy alignment pattern you could get. :-D
admtrap

Postby AngryMollusc » Sun May 17, 2009 11:10 am

admtrap wrote:There may not be a real good way to fix that; Arabic is written right-to-left, and is encoded to align right-to-left in Unicode, if I recall correctly. Maybe if you force any user-enterable variable to appear inside an HTML table cell (not sure, maybe a SPAN element would work too?), you can force the text to appear where it is desired, but otherwise... it's a mixture of Western and MidEastern writing systems, and they don't play well together.

It could be worse. Asian languages are often written Top to Bottom... mix all three and who knows what crazy alignment pattern you could get. :-D

Don't tempt me to try :P
AngryMollusc

Postby JuliaAJA » Sun May 17, 2009 12:06 pm

AngryMollusc wrote:Don't tempt me to try :P

I dare you to try it. :P
Joined Particracy on: December 18, 2008
Click here for my versions of Siggon's spreadsheets.
JuliaAJA

Return to Bugs