Particracy II Roleplay - World News

Discuss the sequel game here.

Re: Particracy II Roleplay - World News

Postby yacoded » Mon May 30, 2011 1:27 am

MPR World Service
Leader of the Liberal Party announces Party Manifesto

Roman Parker, the new Leader of the Liberal Party will be fighting in his first general election as leader of his party Next October. Today, he and his party released it's manifesto. It's major highlights included:
    "Our party will try to get the Citizenship Act, introduced in the last Parliament, passed in order to grant children of illegal immigrants the right to citizenship.
    Our party will try to pass an Electoral Act in order to clarify and further cement our electoral system and way of governance.
    Our party will work with other states, both Commonwealth and non-Commonwealth to ensure unity and co-operation.
    Our party will work with the other Commonwealth nations to try to further cement our bonds.
    Our party will pressure the Chancellor of Defence to conduct a defence assessment to ensure the readiness and efficiency of the Royal Meiruvian Forces."

After the press conference, Parker took some questions. The first question asked was who we would be willing to form a coalition with. He said:
"I would love to form a coalition with Labour and the Tories. It makes sense to considering the common theme of a lack of experience which is shared by the other three parties in this country. I hope that Labour and the Tories are ready for an ambitious Parliament come next October because we sure are here!"

And now in other news…
The Liberal Party of Meiru
Ensuring fairness for all Meiruvians
yacoded

Postby Martinulus » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:22 pm

MPR One

Christian Democrats: "It's your Meiru"

Good evening, and welcome to MPR's News at Six. In political news tonight, Lord Chancellor Malka Carver today released the Christian Democratic Manifesto for the October General Election, kicking off a campaign with a very participatory theme, reflected in the slogan: "It's your Meiru". Main pledges include a wholesale reform of the NHS and education system allowing greater freedom for professionals, the introduction of a progressive income tax, a scheme of overall cuts in taxation and a programme of deregulation.

The Mt Hon. Malka Carver MP RA (CD) - Lord Chancellor
Today, we launch our bid for re-election. It is a bid I am proud and confident of, after so many years of government, even when other parties failed to take their responsibility. I think the choice of the matter is clear: we offer quality and sensibility, and proven commitment to Meiru. But I do not ask people to vote on our record: I ask them to vote on our message, which is this: it's your Meiru. It's your Meiru, and you decide what to do with it. We want to give Meiru back to our people with a message: we're all in this together. And together, we shall build a stronger economy, better schools and hospitals and a big society for all to take part in.

(...)
So I ask the people: please join us on election day. It's your Meiru: elect Christian Democrats.

The Lord Chancellor took questions. When asked about Liberal Leader Roman Parker's recent comments about the formation of a post-election coalition, she responded:
While I'm flattered that we're already receiving support for a new Red-Green coalition, I do think Roman spoke of it a little prematurely. We have still to see these election results, and I do not think it fair to exclude any possibility until we do. Any party committed to a better Meiru will be considered a viable candidate for discussions, regardless of experience. That having been said, the Liberals have proven their commitment, and if either of our two parties be given the mandate, I'm sure our two parties will follow the strong backbone for government we've often been, if at all possible.
Hosianisch-Demokratisches Verbund - Hulstria and Gao-Soto

Notable previous parties:
Folkepartiet (People's Party) - Kazulia
Martinulus

Postby Martinulus » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:23 pm

MPR One

Carver to leave Crown Street after 14 years in office

Good evening, and welcome to the MPR News at Six. Our top story tonight: Lord Chancellor Malka Carver has today announced that she will leave office as soon as a new government can be formed. The 49-year old Lord Chancellor, who entered Crown Street for the first time in 2408, told the press that "... it is time for me to hand to a new generation." Crown Street denied any connection with the election results, pointing out that the Lord Chancellor served in her position even after talks with the Navaron Royalist League failed to commence. Our political editor Robin Nicholson reports.

Robin Nicholson - MPR Political Editor
A day for the history books in Crown Street today: after 14 years in office, one of Meiru's longer-serving Lords Chancellor has announced that she will be stepping down as soon as a new government can be formed. Malka Carver reflected with pride on her time in Crown Street, through good times and bad. Let's hear what she said earlier today.

"Today I have, upon invitation of His Majesty the King, been to Crosham Palace to deliver advice on the implications of the results of the past General Election. I have advised His Majesty that in the proper constitutional form and procedure, the Navaron Royalist League should be considered the first candidates for participation in a government, and that I, for my party and my country, would give preference to a coalition with the Liberal Party and the Labour Party. These talks will not be easy, and I will be standing by to render what assistance I can give to give Meiru a stable government in this fragmented Parliament.

I have also indicated to His Majesty that after 14 years in this most honourable office of our political system, I shall not accept a new commission to form a government, even should my party be the largest party in an eventual coalition. It has been the honour of my lifetime to serve for such a long period in the office I have held, and to work with so distinguished a monarch as His Majesty and so many good coalition partners. However I enjoy my office still, I believe it is time for me to hand over to a new generation. To that end, I have also indicated to the Chairman of the Christian Democrats that I intend to relinguish the party leadership as soon as a successor has been elected.

In conclusion, let me turn directly to the Meiruvian people. It has been an honour to serve you both in Crown Street and in Parliament, and I hope to be serving you longer still. I can only hope for your approval for the efforts of 14 years, for peace made, governmental crises avoided and reforms executed. Our country is a wonderful country, and I hope I have done my part - as did Lords Chancellor before me and my successor will do after me - to make it an even better place for all of its people.

I thank you once more for your confidence and support over the past 14 years. God Save the King and Meiru."

Robin Nicholson - MPR Political Editor
That was the Lord Chancellor announcing her intention to relinguish the office as soon as a successor is ready to be called to the Palace, and to immediately resign the leadership of the Tory Party. Speaking of which, that is another race we'll follow closely, apart from the formation in which the Palace has just announced that Lord Crawford, Carver's predecessor, has been appointed to explore possible government configurations. Education Chancellor Donn Parker is viewed as a likely candidate, but it is still early days.

It is also thought that Carver will be elevated to the peerage and knighted in the Order of St. Theodore for her longstanding service to Meiru.

Martinulus

Postby Martinulus » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:29 pm

MPR One

Lord Crawford to head exploratory talks

And in other news tonight, former Lord Chancellor, the Lord Crawford of Olmdale MP, has just returned from the Palace where he was commissioned by the King to explore the possible configurations of government before a formateur is appointed to form the new government. Lord Crawford, who served as Lord Chancellor for 19 years before handing over to Malka Carver, has said he looks forward to the job with confidence, and has announced his intention to speak to all party leaders before reporting to His Majesty on the most likely coalition to succeed. "I look forward to the task His Majesty has asked me to perform," he told MPR, "and I assure my fellow Meiruvians that I will perform it to the utmost of my ability indeed, so that we get the best government as a reflection of the last election."

Martinulus

Postby yacoded » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:40 pm

MPR One
Lord Cade to Represent the Liberals in Government Formation Talks

Sources inside Liberal Party HQ have been saying that the Leader of the Party, Roman Parker has decided and encouraged Lord Cade, the former leader to represent the party in negotiations. This has been well-received by the party, especially after news broke that the Tories will have Lord Crawford represent his party in talks. Sources inside the party say that Parker made this decision because he wants to focus his thoughts on getting the Liberal's policies through Parliament and he doesn't have a relationship with Lord Crawford and Lord Cade does so it makes perfect sense. We have a statement released by Roman Parker.

The Hon Roman Parker MP (Lib) - Leader of the Liberal Party
First, I would like to congratulate the Lord Chancellor and thank her for her service to this country. She had led it well. It will be quite sad to see her go and she will be a hard person to replace. I wish her successor the best. I have decided, with his and the party's blessing that Lord Cade will represent the Liberal Party in the upcoming government formation talks. He and I will be in constant communication.
The Liberal Party of Meiru
Ensuring fairness for all Meiruvians
yacoded

Postby Martinulus » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:43 pm

MPR One

Christian Democratic Leadership Hopefuls unveiled

In political news tonight, the Chairman of the Christian Democrats, Neida Purcell MP, unveiled the candidates to succeed Malka Carver as Leader of the Christian Democrats at a press presentation at the Constitution Club in Mystur. The four leadership hopefuls will face off in two ballots of MPs and a final vote between the last two contenders among all the party's 6000+ members to be the person to succeed Lady Carver. Our political correspondent James Hilman reports.

James Hilman - MPR Political Correspondent
Donn Parker, Theodore Donan, Efrain Mcguire and Bethel Hofstetter are the four candidates who will compete for the leadership of the Christian Democrats. 2 ballots of MPs will whittle their number down to two, after which the final winner will be decided by a mail ballot of the Party's membership.

Donn Parker is widely considered to be the favourite for the job. The Chancellor of Education, who has been with Malka Carver in Cabinet for her whole tenure and is about her age, is the only contender with cabinet experience. He is believed to be a defender of the status quo, and that will most likely be his only weakness: his lack of freshness for a party that may need to reassert itself to defend its prominent place in Meiruvian politics against new parties.

His most likely opponent according to inside sources is the benjamin of the contenders, backbencher Theodore "Teddy" Donan, who represents St. Michael, Lord Weir's old stomping grounds and one of the party strongholds. He was selected for that seat after a primary election in the local association, in which the charming local teacher was the overwhelming preference of the party. His charm and image of an "ideal son-in-law" could reinvigorate the party with a new sense of freshness, according to one of our backbench sources. Donan's platform is one of reassertion and new openness.

The oldest of the contenders, Efrain Mcguire, fellow of Rampont University's prestigious King Arthur College, follows a more conservative line than his opponents. Despite his experience in parliament, his lack of cabinet experience may mean he could well be outshone by the more experienced Parker and the promising youth of Teddy Donan. According to one younger backbencher, Mcguire would have stood a chance in an earlier leadership election, but is now considered to be somewhat too old.

The only woman in the mix, Bethel Hofstetter, promises to find a middle way. However, according to backbench sources, she also promises to be the first elimination. It is up to her to prove them wrong, but the mood is not in her favour.

Martinulus

Postby Martinulus » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:55 pm

MPR One

Parker and Donan in the lead in Tory MPs' first ballot

Good evening and welcome to MPR's News at Six. Today, Tory MPs took the first ballot on who is to succeed outgoing Lord Chancellor Malka Carver as Party Leader. Four leadership hopefuls have campaigned among MPs for the past week, and today was their first test of strength. We now go over to our political editor James Nicholson, who was in Rosaline Street for the announcement, which came half an hour ago.

Neida Purcell MP - Chairman of the Christian Democrats
I, Neida Purcell, being the returning officer for the first ballot of the election to the Leadership of the Christian Democrats, do hereby give notice that the number of votes cast for each candidate was as follows:

PARKER, Donnell Martin - 29 votes
DONAN, Theodore Eugene - 24 votes
MCGUIRE, Efrain Joseph - 13 votes
HOFSTETTER, Bethel - 8 votes

And I accordingly do declare that Donnell Martin Parker, Theodore Eugene Donan and Efrain Joseph Mcguire shall proceed to the next ballot, to be held in one week's time.

James Nicholson - MPR Political Editor
The result was pretty much as expected: Donn Parker in the lead, with Teddy Donan second, and Hofstetter dropping off first. Efrain Mcguire looks to be set to be the next to go, and if none of Parker or Donan's men change their minds, he won't be able to stay in the race, and may well be thinking about defaulting the second ballot altogether in favour of an altogether more speedy process. Then again, he may not. What really surprised me, though, is the strength of Donan's bid. It may not look it, but he is hot on Parker's heels, and he indeed gave off a very strong showing today. I'd be surprised if we'd seen the last of him.

Martinulus

Postby Martinulus » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:03 pm

MPR One

Mcguire withdraws from Tory Leadership race to back Donan

Teddy Donan receives the news of Mcguire's endorsement

In political news, the assembled press was present as Efrain Mcguire, the Tory leadership's trailing contender, withdrew from the race, as expected earlier by many pundits. In sight of the whole party, he declared his support for Teddy Donan's bid, giving him a boost as he goes into the final member's ballot triggered by Mcguire's withdrawal. This surprised many assembled, who expected the conservative academic to back Donn Parker. The statement given by Mr Mcguire was as follows:

Efrain Mcguire MP (CD) - Withdrawing Leadership Contender
Thank you for attending. I have, after due consideration, decided to withdraw from the contest for the leadership of the Christian Democrats. It is my belief still that our party is the party of Meiruvian values, as it should be. Yet we have to face it: at my age, I may not be fresh enough to defend our country's most sacred traditions and customs. I know someone who assuredly is, and who will give our party that new impulse we need to keep going for Meiru.

As I withdraw from the contest, I am backing Teddy Donan, a fresh face for the leadership of the Christian Democrats.

Martinulus

Postby Martinulus » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:35 pm

MPR One Live

Live Coverage: Donan is new Tory Leader

And if you're just joining us, the Chairman of the Christian Democrats has just announced the final result of the leadership ballot, unveiling Teddy Donan MP as the Party's new leader. After a civil month-long contest, Donan beat his opponent, Education Chancellor Donn Parker, to the leadership by a margin of 55 per cent to 45 per cent of the party's membership, outperforming expectations in the race by beating the favourite. Donan is now approaching the stage to make his acceptance speech.

Theodore Donan MP (CD) - Party Leader

"My Christian Democratic Friends,

Just wow. (laughter). What a contest, what a race, what a confidence you have shown in me today. When I entered as benjamin of all the candidates with only a nomination and a smile or two to build upon, I truthfully wouldn't have dared of dreaming I'd make it all the way here to stand before you the new leader of the Christian Democrats. I thank you all for your confidence, and all my fellow contenders, especially Donn, for the civil race we've ran.

And I thank Malka, who for the whole of my political life has been the Leader of the Christian Democrats and who I see as a shining example of how a modern politician and Lord Chancellor should act. I have big shoes to fill. Lady Carver (as we should now call you): I hope you stay with us, even when a new cabinet is formed.

Speaking of which, that will be our first task together, Conference. To deliver to Meiru the stable government it deserves. I look forward to working together with Lady Carver, Lord Crawford and the other party leaders to forge a strong coalition we can build His Majesty's Government on in this fragmented landscape. And I must say: we must be open and democratic, and give the plurality party a chance. But if they don't, my friends, I want all Meiru to know that we won't walk away from our responsibility to this country, and that I shall work as Formateur even as Malka did. We have never been afraid to govern, and never shall be.

We are the natural party of government, Conference. That endows us not only with a fancy title and a place in the history books. It also endows us with a responsibility to the country we all share. We are the guardians of sound government and ancient traditions, as Lord Weir put it the 'kindly old man' of Meiruvian politics. Yet I have spoken during this campaign of the need for a new course if we are to live up to the promise of our party. Today, I issue to you an invitation: come with me on this journey, and help me tell the story of Christian Democracy in Meiru, a story which is still relevant today. Together, we can make that difference, and become not just the governing party, but the largest party in the Realm once more.

We are the Christian Democrats. Not just me and MPs in Halldale, but all of us who are involved with the story of this party. We are the party of Lord Weir, Mia Bedwell and Clarinda Solway. A party of statesmen, a people's party, a party with a heart that beats for Meiru, its people and its values.

We are the Christian Democrats, my friends, and together, we can make our message resound from North Dansari to Mystur.
We are the Christian Democrats, and we believe in Meiru.

Thank you again for your confidence in me. God Save the King and Meiru.

Martinulus

Postby Asteris » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:50 am

CTNS: Crolin Politics Desk
Gridlock Continues in Myseton

Greenhill National Gardens and the Offices of Chancellery overlooked from the Popular Assembly

With her next reelection bid looming a scant half year out, Grand Chancellor Carissa Marian addressed a gathering of leaders of the popular municipal councils who will most likely ultimately decide her fate in response to mounting accusations of incompetence with regards to the formation of a chancellery.

With the erosion of various minority coalitions in Crolina in the Conservatives, Liberals, and the Arylon separatist PRLB; the senior Crolin party finds itself in the position of being unable to broker the kind of broader coalition for which it has historically been known. It is the Grand Chancellor, rather than the Forums of Parliament, that is bearing the brunt of the popular frustrations with the seemingly insurmountable row with the authoritarian NBRP.

Marian, as many expected, outlined a plan of incrementalism and a continued effort to repair relations with Akasati and Mauriland as stabilising forces in the region and avoided any comment with regards to internal relations. It is expected that internal forces may unseat the Grand Chancellor from her favored status in the party perhaps as soon as the next election in much the same way as her predecessor, the famous youth organizer Norman Bernot.

The Cooperative still wields considerable power amongst the popular councils but the more authoritarian NBRP has gained traction in Arylon and amongst many former Liberal and Nationalist voters in the east. The Cooperative maintains its vice-like grip on its constituencies in Maxel, Altana, and in the Capitol at Myseton though it has lost support in much of the rest of Viniste as gridlock continues to wear on the state of public programs.
Asteris

PreviousNext

Return to Particracy II