Particracy II Roleplay - World News

Discuss the sequel game here.

Re: Particracy II Roleplay - World News

Postby Martinulus » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:45 am

MPR One

As NRL defaults on coalition talks, King is forced to "pull a Carver" yet again

The new Formateur, Teddy Donan MP (right), waiting to be received by His Majesty

Good evening and welcome to the MPR's news at six. Tonight's top story: the Navaron Royalist League have failed to respond to an invitation by informateur Lord Crawford of Olmdale to the preparatory government formation talks, prompting the former Lord Chancellor to advise the King to, as Teddy Donan put it, "pull a Carver" and ask the Christian Democrats' Teddy Donan to form a government. The origin of the expression 'pulling a Carver' lies in the formation of the Second Carver Ministry after the NRL, the largest party in Parliament at the time, failed to get around the table with other parties on forming a government, whereupon Donan's predecessor as Tory Leader, outgoing Lord Chancellor Malka Carver, was asked to form a government.

James Nicholson reports.

James Nicholson - MPR Political Editor
First Lord Crawford came to the Palace to explain the situation as he saw it to His Majesty. According to a statement made earlier by the former Lord Chancellor, the parties in the talks - only the Tories, Liberals and Labour were present - had expressed willingness to form a government together, and concluded that as the deadline for the others to join up had passed, the right course of action was to invite the new Leader of the Christian Democrats to form a government.

Informateur Lord Crawford of Olmdale (CD) on his way to report to His Majesty

The Mt Hon. the Lord Crawford MP RA KCAC (CD) - Informateur
"All present then concluded that the best course of action was to form a government with those parties ready to commence talks, being those present, and govern with eachother. I shall therefore be going to the Palace to advise His Majesty to ask Mr Theodore Donan to form a new government. It is not a step taken lightly to disqualify the largest party in the House, but it is not unprecedented and in this complex situation, it is a step to be expected. (lots of shouted questions; Lord Crawford smiles patronisingly) Let's leave the rest to His Majesty and Mr Donan, shall we?"

A bare half hour after Lord Crawford returned from the Palace, the summons came to Teddy Donan, who then set out for the Palace, where he was sworn into the Privy Council and asked to form a new government by His Majesty. Mr Donan accepted the commission, but due to the complex political situation, he requested to assume the office of Formateur until he had ensured an arrangement with sufficient support. Even then, he has to navigate a difficult coalition formation: the three parties represented around the information table that declared their willingness to talk to eachother do not command a majority of parliament, and some arrangement will be required to get legislation, and more importantly confidence and supply motions, through.

The Tory Leader remains optimistic, though, as his plan suggests:

The Rt Hon. Theodore Donan MP (CD) - Formateur
"His Majesty the King has asked me to form a new government, and I have accepted. However, seeing the complexity of the situation we are in, I shall not yet go to Number 10 and leave it, at least for a while longer, in the capable hands of Malka Carver. I wish to immediately commence talks with the Liberals and Labour. Even though I know we do not command a majority, I do know I can depend on those two parties to come to the negotiating table and forge a core policy agreement. Once we've got that, we'll see what party is willing to help us obtain the required majority.

I am optimistic that, in the end, I can justify His Majesty's faith in me and the difficult decision to pull a Carver yet again, and provide Meiru with the stable majority coalition it needs. I can't wait to get to work, so I thank you for listening. God Save the King and Meiru."

And with that, Donan set off to talk to his fellow party leaders. Robin Nicholson, MPR News, Halldale.
Hosianisch-Demokratisches Verbund - Hulstria and Gao-Soto

Notable previous parties:
Folkepartiet (People's Party) - Kazulia
Martinulus

Postby yacoded » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:51 am

MPR News

Liberal Backbencher works with the Formateur on legislation to register Sex Offenders
Edgar Norman MP represents Halldale East in Greater Mystur, he has served for the past 14 years.

Edgar Norman, the former Detective Inspector in the Metropolitan Police Service has introduced legislation that would allow the courts to force sex offenders to register on the new National Sex Offender Registry. Under the bill, which is up for a vote in the House now, the courts can decide that a Sex Offender must register on the new registry At His Majesty's Pleasure. Anyone would have access to the registry that would allow viewers to see a photo, address and vital statistics of the Sex Offender online and at their local police station. So far, the bill has the support of the Liberal Party and the Christian Democrats. The Royal Labour Party has abstained on the issue, citing privacy concerns. The Christian Democrats have also expressed privacy concerns and have tabled an amendment to the bill which would heavily regulate access to the Registry. Under the Tories plan, introduced by the Formateur, Teddy Donan, registered Meiruvian citizens without malicious intent would have access to the Registry, and information from the Registry would be subject to a publishing ban. Edgar Norman released a short statement about the proposed Tory amendments to the bill.

Edgar Norman MP (Lib)
"I'm glad that my bill has brought a discussion to Parliament and the rest of the Kingdom. This is an issue that I hold a passion about because of my time at the Met. I'm glad that the Formateur has taken the time out to work with my party to develop a bill that is both fair to Meiruvian Families and respects privacy granted by the Charter of Rights. I'm sure that we will be able to work together to develop something that will prove to be a pillar of policing and privacy rights."

It has been said by party insiders that if the government formation talks result in a Tory-led Government with a Liberal in Home Affairs that Norman will head the Chancellery of Home Affairs. But, that's all speculation from Liberal HQ. We await to see the results of the government formation dialogue as well as the discussion around this bill.
The Liberal Party of Meiru
Ensuring fairness for all Meiruvians
yacoded

Postby yacoded » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:21 am

MPR News

New MP becomes Leader of the Liberal Party

Burt Reynolds MP, the new Leader of Liberal Party

Now in Political News, the Liberal Party has finally announced a Roman Parker's successor. Burt Reynolds was a three-term ducal legislator serving residents here in New Forest, Tarkos before his election to Parliament in the last General Election. This is unprecedented in the party's long history. Many political experts are left stunned because of Reynolds's lack of political experience here in the Capital. But, party insiders are saying that his lack of experience is what the party needs. James Nicholson reports.

Burt Reynolds had become well-known here in New Forest. He served on The Legislature Council of Tarkos for twelve years and served as the party's Justice spokesperson in the Legislature. He ran in the General Election last year because he could see the writing on the wall back in the Capital. He believes that he will be able to help resolve the political crisis that is beginning to grip the Kingdom.
The Hon Burt Reynolds MP (Lib)
"First please let me thank you for voicing your support in me and this party. We have a lot of work ahead of us. We must be able to extend a hand in fellowship to each and every party here in the Kingdom to ensure that it remains a Kingdom that is accountable to its Citizens. Now this isn't the case. We must be able to adequately serve those that have elected us and I hope that I will be able to serve not only this party that elected me to this position, my electorate that elected me to the House of Commons but more important, we must serve this country. It is an honour and a privilege. That is why my first act as Leader of this party is to chair a committee of party members to plan for a bill in the House which I will table that will guide this country should the demise of the crown end up becoming a long term issue. I will begin conversations with each and every party leader in this country to try to see what can be done to ensure that the fundamental rights and freedoms of this country are maintained. Hopefully we aid in forming a Government before this Parliamentary Session is over. We have a big job ahead of us and I hope that we can accomplish it."

Reynolds sounds optimistic and we can only await to see if his plans are put into action. James Nicholson, MPR News, New Forest.
yacoded

Postby yacoded » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:11 am

MPR News

Liberal Leader actively working with Labour to form Minority Government, RNO Leader in discussion as well

Good Evening, we have breaking news. The new Leader of the Liberal Party, Burt Reynolds has been engaged in discussions with the Leader of the Royal Labour Party about forming a coalition. This minority Government would be the smallest that the Kingdom of Meiru has ever seen. Reynolds, in his opening speech as Leader, said that he would reach out to every party in the Kingdom to try to actively form a Government and ensure a plan about the Monarchy. We have our political editor James Nicholson here to report.

Good Evening. When Burt Reynolds entered office as Leader of the Liberal Party a month ago he let us all know that he would be contacting every party in the Kingdom and he has. The first party to respond was the Royal Labour Party. Labour has worked with the Liberals many times in the past. In fact Labour was known as the Liberal's preferred coalition partner historically. The two parties have similar ideas and they are both staunchly monarchist. While Reynolds was discussing with Labour no other party engaged the Liberals in a discussion until now. The Royal Nobility Order has contacted the Liberals and seem to have taken an interest in forming a coalition. The RNO has the larger number of seats and any possible coalition that would involve them would by convention allow, excuse me, demand for a RNO Lord Chancellor. This has set alarm bells in the Liberal Party because of the RNO's ideas. The past two bills that the RNO have tabled in Parliament have been vetoed by the Liberal Party. Party insiders have said that they hope that they can work with Labour to form a Minority Government regardless of the RNO but Reynolds has responded to the RNO.

The Hon Burt Reynolds MP (Lib)
"I have reached out to every party as you all know. The Royal Labour Party had contacted us first and we have begun discussing with them the possibility of a minority government between our two parties as well as the possible expanded coalition with other parties within the Kingdom. We had been actively discussing the first option because no other party had contacted us. As we begun our final pre-coalition discussion the Leader of the Royal Nobility Order had contacted me about forming a Government based on the Monarchy and 'Christian Values'. I am glad that the Honourable Leader of the RNO has responded to my message but I have expressed reservations to him. I am unsure about pursuing a Coalition between our parties if the RNO plans on fighting against the fundamental human rights that my party as well as Labour have been trying to legally ensure. I have opened the possibility of a coalition to him if he would discuss the reasons behind his ideas. This is conditional on the advise of Labour. I do not intend on burning any possible bridges. If a coalition between my party, Labour and the RNO cannot be exercised I hope that RNO will be willing to work with a Labour-Liberal coalition to help serve Meiru. Thank you."

Constitutional experts have begun weighing into to the options put on the table so far and they aren't looking good, but they are looking better than the where we are now. A RNO-Labour-Liberal coalition would have a RNO Lord Chancellor, Labour Lord President of the Council and a Liberal Lord Keeper of the Privy Seal. It would be the more stable of the options with the support of 39% of the House of Commons. This coalition could still fail at any point in the House and the ideological differences between the RNO and Labour/Liberals are wide. The other option, a Labour-Liberal coalition would give us a Labour Lord Chancellor and a Liberal Lord President of the Council. It would have the support of 25% of the House. It would be historic for the Kingdom. A Government had never had less support in the House. We now must await to hear more from the Party Leaders. James Nicholson, MPR News, Mystur.
yacoded

Postby yacoded » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:29 pm

MPR News

Reynolds shaped to be the next Lord Chancellor in a Red-Green Coalition

Burt Reynolds MP, the next Lord Chancellor of Meiru

Good Evening, it appears that the Kingdom of Meiru will finally have a new Government installed by tomorrow morning. It shall be led by Burt Reynolds, the leader of the Liberal Party with the assistance of the former Formateur, Teddy Donan, the Leader of the Christian Democrats. The Speech from the Throne has been drafted and it is expected that Reynolds will kiss hands with the King at some point tomorrow. We have James Nicholson, our political correspondent in studio to discuss with us the new Government's plans and to provide us with some background on the Red-Green coalition. James?

James Nicholson - MPR Political Correspondent
Good Evening. Burt Reynolds has been trying hard to form a Government. He didn't intend on leading one until he announced his plans a few months ago to proceed with a coalition between the Royal Labour Party and his party. Those plans have fell through and Reynolds went to Teddy Donan, the leader of the Tories to see if a coalition could be formed between their two parties. The Red-Green coalition is the oldest governing coalition in the Kingdom. Most of the time, over the past few centuries, government consisted of these two parties. Most of our political history is based on the action of these two parties. One of the most notable points in the relationship between these two parties occured way back in the 2190s between the late Liberal Leader, the 1st Earl of Grindville, Eduardo Russell and the Tory Lord Chancellor, Sir Martin Felmlee. We have footage from the archives of the infighting between the two.

MPR News - Week 2 November 2194
Lord Chancellor condemns Russell Conduct but grudgingly tenders Government resignation.

Lord Chancellor Martin Felmlee has tendered the resignation of his Government following a loss of confidence from his coalition partners. Andrew Randolph reports.

Andrew Randolph
Yes, MPR could hardly air the Press Release from the Liberal Royalists that began this crisis, or it emerged from the office of Lord Chancellor Martin Felmlee that he was informed only with a curt note of the Liberal Royalists leaving the Red-Green Coalition, without explanation offered. The note was as follows, according to sources within Crown Street:

"Effective the results of the vote of the Speech from the Throne, the coalition between the Liberal Royalist Party and the Christian Democrats shall be terminated."

Martin Felmlee gave a public statement at a Press Conference.

Martin Felmlee (CD) - Lord Chancellor
I am disappointed in Mr Russell. The only thing he seems to care about is Crown Street, but there's governing to get on with. It is underscribed by that note. No explanation was offered, no substantive arguments for leaving the Coalition, and then he goes out and announces that he will replace the Coalition. Coalitions aren't just machines to get into Government. They're codifications of trust, and my trust in the Royalists has been smashed most vehemently by this ungentlemanly conduct.

Nevertheless, I have tendered the resignation of the Government to His Majesty.

Andrew Randolph
It seems more and more like a personal row is taken place. This move will severely damage the working relationship between the Christian Democrats and Royalist Liberals for years to come.

Andrew Randolph, MPR News, Halldale.

Helene Cohgen
Thank you. And now, in other news, the Mystur Monoliths have been rugbying their way to the top of the Rugby competition...

This was after Lord Groves attempted to form a Government with the other centre-left parties while his party was engaged in a coalition with the Tories. This was not the end of conflict surrounding Lord Groves. That conflict resulted in the resignation of Sir Martin Felmlee as Lord Chancellor and soon the the Tories and Liberals were back in a coalition with each other. This didn't last…

MPR News - Week 2 December 2198

Lord Chancellor offers Cabinet's resignation; asks King for dissolution of Parliament

Good morning. Today, Lord Chancellor Mia Bedwell was seen entering Crosham Palace. A press release from the Lord Chancellor's Office affirmed that the purpose of this visit was to offer the Cabinet's resignation. The statement was as follows:

"The Lord Chancellor has had severe disagreements with the Deputy Lord Chancellor over an open breach of collective cabinet responsibility. While she will not comment on the exact correspondence between herself and her Deputy, she wishes to announce that the open announcement on MPR News by Sir Eduardo Russell that should he be given a mandate, he will not continue the coalition, coupled with a severe criticism of the policies of his coalition partner, have publicly undermined the credibility of His Majesty's Government of Meiru.

Therefore, His Majesty's Lord Chancellor regrets that she has no choice but to tender the resignation of her Ministry to His Majesty, and further to request that His Majesty dissolve the present Parliament in preparation for a general election."

We now go over to Andrew Randolph at Crosham.

Andrew Randolph
Yes, it's total chaos over here. Eduardo Russell's comments have caused a storm of criticism in Christian Democratic circles, even going as far as calling this "another sniping attempt". Rumour has it that Mia Bedwell rather forcefully reminded her Deputy and that her Deputy took offense, even using such language as "[the Lord Chancellor] has used my Party". This has rubbed many Christian Democrats the wrong way and as such it is impossible for anyone to say who exactly is to blame for the fall of the Coalition.

His Majesty is likely to grant his Lord Chancellor's request, and... wait, we see the Lord Chancellor emerging.

The Mt Hon. Mia Bedwell MP (CD) - Lord Chancellor
Seeing the comments by Sir Eduardo Russell, I had no choice but to regretfully tender my Cabinet's resignation to His Majesty the King. Given the self-righteous nature of my Deputy, he will be glad to know that now he can prove the truth of what he says about my Party, as I have asked the dissolution of Parliament in preparation for a General Election.

Hopefully, Mr Reynolds will not step on as many toes as his predecessor. Now, let's look at the new Government's proposed Legislative Agenda. They plan on working with Quicho. We don't know what this will mean, but I imagine that the Quichons will be granted even more autonomy. This is evident because of the Liberal-sponsored Governor General of Quicho Act which allowed the Quichon Government the right to appoint a Governor General to act as the King's Representative in Quicho. They also plan on nationalising major industries in the Kingdom. This might meet some resistance from the coalition partners but that is something that will be discussed between in Cabinet soon. That's all for now. We expect a statement from Reynolds tomorrow.
yacoded

Previous

Return to Particracy II