Make P2 Open Source?

Discuss the sequel game here.

Make P2 Open Source?

Postby tcooper » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:31 pm

I know this was discussed on the original Particracy forum, but I thought I'd bring it up again since development seems to have halted. Personally, I'd rather make the original Particracy open source because I think it would be easier to tweak things (like forcing countries to borrow to fund budget deficits) rather than make a whole new game, but either way I think it'd be interesting to make development open source. Some things, like election algos, would need to remain private so that developers can't figure out how to "beat" the algo. However, creating things like international credit markets and facilitating wars would bring some life back into what seems to be a dying game.

Thoughts?
tcooper

Re: Make P2 Open Source?

Postby Red October » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:07 am

Might as well. There's never going to be development on it otherwise.
Red October

Postby EEL123 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:11 am

Wouter probably won't agree. And the game is going to turn into a wikipedia edit war, with all sorts of editors attempting to impose their personal visions on the game. But I do like the idea of having player input. And maybe we'll get the mods to implement the suggestions. It'd be like the creating the law section.
House of Razama
EEL123

Postby CalF » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:22 am

I think this could be a good idea to actually get something done with regard to Particracy 2. I think the whole project could be dead if something like this isn't done.
The Popular Party- Fighting to Destroy the VBSM, CLD, FVJ and DSP Monsters
CalF

Postby EgXPlayer » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:56 pm

That would be good,or what would be good too, is how EEL123 said already, a section for suggestions.
EgXPlayer

Postby elryacko » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:12 am

EEL123 wrote:Wouter probably won't agree. And the game is going to turn into a wikipedia edit war, with all sorts of editors attempting to impose their personal visions on the game. But I do like the idea of having player input. And maybe we'll get the mods to implement the suggestions. It'd be like the creating the law section.

Wait. What. How do open source games exist? :?:

would need to remain private so that developers can't figure out how to "beat" the algo.

I thought you beat the algo by appealing to the most voters?

Don't Panic
elryacko

Return to Particracy II