Requests: Religious Organisations [RPC]

Submit your requests on various areas of the game.

Moderator: RP Committee

Requests: Religious Organisations [RPC]

Postby Moderation » Mon May 22, 2017 9:22 am

The RP Team is going to begin allowing players to rent out the main religious organizations on an experimental basis. Players will be allowed to apply to take control of a specific religious organization for 30 days, or possibly longer if no one else requests control of that religious organization.

For background information on (most) religions in Particracy, see here.

The RP Team officially has the power to conduct RP with large religions, and we decided it would be best for RP if we were to devolve this power to interested players. The religious denominations being handed out are those that have a significant presence in at least two nations. Considering the potential RP impact this may have, players controlling religious organizations are encouraged to take into account the views of impacted players, and in exceptional cases may expect their actions to be nullified by the RP Team or by Moderation.

In cases of religious organizations that lack central leadership we decided that interested players may still take control of the denomination as a whole, allowing them to introduce RP impacting the entire denomination or even create a central leadership. For some of the smaller denominations, such as Daenism and Geraja, we decided to hand out control over the religion as a whole rather than its sects, while for others we decided to group together closely related denominations, such as Israism and Sahabism. In the case of religions such as Yeudism or Jienism that have a significant presence in several nations but a majority only in one, we decided it would be best for these to remain under the control of the players in the nation where said religion constitutes a majority.

The procedures for applying are as follows:

The player should have a good record in terms of respecting the Game Rules.

The player should have a forum account that is at least 30 days old.

The player should post a request for control over a specified religious organization in the Religious Organization Control Applications thread.

If the religious organization requested is currently unoccupied by a player, or has been controlled by the same player for 30 days or more, the RP Team will consider the request.

If a player has controlled a religious organization for 30 days, and the religious organization is requested by another player, the new player will be granted control. In other words, once a player has controlled a religious organization for 30 days, they are on borrowed time and should be prepared to lose control over the organization at any moment.

Players who are in control of a religious organization may control its central leadership, its organizational structure, its doctrines, its interactions with other religious organizations, and its interactions with governments and international organizations. In the case of religious organizations lacking central leadership players who control the organization have the right to introduce events, characters, and institutions that have an impact on the organization as a whole or specific branches of the organization.

The national or local leadership of the religious organization, as well as characters without control/influence over the religious organization as a whole shall remain under the control of players in the relevant nations.

Large-scale changes impacting the religious organization will require permission from the RP team before being implemented.

Players controlling a religious organization may create a news thread for their organization in the Global News (RP Team) sub-forum, or they may continue to use the existing thread of the organization (if applicable).

The RP Team reserves the right to revoke a player's control of a religious organization for violating these regulations.

The religious organizations handed out are the following:

1. Aurorian Patriarchal Church
Forum: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6218
Wiki: http://particracy.wikia.com/wiki/Aurori ... hal_Church
RL equivalent: Roman Catholic Church

2. Terran Patriarchal Church
Forum: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1844
Wiki: http://particracy.wikia.com/wiki/Terran ... hal_Church
RL equivalent: Russian Orthodox Church + Slavic mythology

3. Apostolic Church of the East
Forum: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5454
Wiki: http://particracy.wikia.com/wiki/Aposto ... f_the_East
RL equivalent: Oriental Orthodox Churches + Church of the East

4. Independent Confessional Churches
Forum: N/A
Wiki: N/A
RL equivalent: Lutheran Churches

5. Ameliorate Churches
Forum: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7057&p=108117
Wiki: N/A
RL equivalent: Calvinist/Reformed Churches

6. Bishopal Churches
Wiki: http://particracy.wikia.com/wiki/Bishopal_Church
RL equivalent: Episcopalian/Anglican Churches

7. Israism and Sahabism
Wiki: http://particracy.wikia.com/wiki/Israism and http://particracy.wikia.com/wiki/Sahabism
RL equivalent: Sunni Islam and Sufism

8. Abadism and Halawism
Wiki: http://particracy.wikia.com/wiki/Abadism and http://particracy.wikia.com/wiki/Halawism
RL equivalent: Shia Islam (mainstream Twelver + Zaydi) and Alevism + Alawism

9. Daenism
Wiki: http://particracy.wikia.com/wiki/Daenism (also Upayana, Mazdayana, and Zensho)
RL equivalent: Buddhism (Upayana = Theravada, Mazdayana = Mahayana, Zensho = Zen)

10. Felinism
Wiki: http://particracy.wikia.com/wiki/Felinism
RL equivalent: N/A

11. Geraja
Wiki: http://particracy.wikia.com/wiki/Geraja
RL equivalent: Hinduism

Open religious organizations:
Abadism and Halawism
Ameliorate Churches
Apostolic Church of the East
Aurorian Patriarchal Church
Bishopal Churches
Daenism
Felinism
Geraja
Israism and Sahabism

Register of Player Controlled Religious Organizations:
Independent Confessional Churches: Polites (11 July 2023)
Terran Patriarchal Church: Polites (29 December 2023)
Last edited by Polites on Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:59 pm, edited 9 times in total.
This account is for administrative purposes only. For queries or information, please contact a Moderator personally.
Moderation

Re: Religious Organization Control Applications

Postby Aquinas » Mon May 22, 2017 11:52 am

As with the Colony Control Applications procedure, I have concerns over whether a 30-days-and-then-you-could-lose-control rule will encourage players to seriously invest in long-term RP development. Again, I'm not opposed to replacing inactive players with active players - that's all to the good. But if someone wants to manage a religious organisation seriously and actively on a long-term basis, I really think that's got to be encouraged.

Also, is it worth considering allowing 2 players to jointly control a religious organisation?

FWIW, I personally think that for some of these religions, the really ideal person to be in control would actually be Polites himself (although naturally I appreciate he may be short on time, or perhaps may just want to give others a go). But if its not going to be Polites or RP Team members, then I think the aim should be, as much as possible, to encourage players to come forward who have a long-term commitment and who take a long-term view.

I have a personal interest in the Aurorian Patriarchal Church and the Terran Patriarchal Church, although I'm not sure whether I want to apply for control of them myself. But I'd definitely offer to work RP-wise with whoever was controlling them, since I enjoy a bit of religious RP.
Aquinas

Postby Polites » Mon May 22, 2017 12:07 pm

For now this is an experiment, if this works well we will consider either extending the terms or devolving religious RP on a semi-permanent basis. Since this has never been done before, I am curious to see how it turns out and hopefully this will lead to a revitalization of religious RP.

I appreciate the vote of confidence regarding my own control over religious RP, but as you said, I am too short on time to do this effectively, and would also like to see other people get a shot at this; I definitely don't want to be the designated religious RPer. Plus there's a bit of a potential conflict of interest given that many of these religions would have conflicting goals, and the temptation of using all of them to further my own or the RP Team's RP goals will always be there.

Interesting idea on allowing two people to control a religion at the same time, will definitely keep that in mind.

In fact our original plan was to prioritize those players we could identify as having played a significant role in the development of one or more religions, but sadly many of those players we could think of have since left the game. Which brings up the larger issue that prioritizing the views of a single player may ultimately be detrimental to RP, since they would not have much incentive to implement much change once their views have been established via RP.

In any case, this is experimental at the moment, and based on the way things work out we will come up with a more permanent system.
Polites

Postby Axxell » Mon May 22, 2017 12:55 pm

It is interesting to allow more then a player to manage a religion. A religion, i think, is different from a nation and I think that if a player for example will take the control of the aurorian or terran church, should not be able to change radically the doctrine/structure.
For example: marriages for the homosexuals or the prominent position of the arch-patriarch. I understand that there are many reformed churches that already allow this, but first of all if the Aurorian and Terran churches are the in-particracy catholics and Orthodox churches, a similar changement should be very difficult to implemented and at least should take a very long period. also because in the real catholic and orthodox churches despite the supremacy of pope and patriarchs there is all the high ranks of the clergy and all the clergy communities to which deal.
My concerns are about a realistic management of the religions which, at least the major, are quite conservative and traditionalist.

I have another question about this church I found on the wikia: http://particracy.wikia.com/wiki/Luthor ... hal_Church
Should it be considered as part of the Aurorian Church? Or As a bishopal or another patriarchal church?
Alleanza Radicale (Radical Alliance) - Istalia (Active)
Axxell

Postby Polites » Mon May 22, 2017 1:35 pm

Axxell wrote:It is interesting to allow more then a player to manage a religion. A religion, i think, is different from a nation and I think that if a player for example will take the control of the aurorian or terran church, should not be able to change radically the doctrine/structure.
For example: marriages for the homosexuals or the prominent position of the arch-patriarch. I understand that there are many reformed churches that already allow this, but first of all if the Aurorian and Terran churches are the in-particracy catholics and Orthodox churches, a similar changement should be very difficult to implemented and at least should take a very long period. also because in the real catholic and orthodox churches despite the supremacy of pope and patriarchs there is all the high ranks of the clergy and all the clergy communities to which deal.

The ordination of women or blessing same-sex unions, as well as launching crusades or jihads for that matter, would count as "large-scale changes", which would require the consent of the RP team in order to be implemented. And to be perfectly honest, I'd rather see the TPC or APC try to introduce such changes only for them to be resisted by some branches of the religions, leading to schism and potentially the creation of new churches. Otherwise we're stuck with the same "perfect" situation potentially for millennia. A conflict over the role of women in religion, for example, has the potential to revitalize religious RP and lead to some messy IC disputes, which in the long run can only be a good thing.

Axxell wrote:My concerns are about a realistic management of the religions which, at least the major, are quite conservative and traditionalist.

I understand your concern, and ideally the players who take control over the religious organizations will maintain their overall "feel" and character. But even if they don't, that will be a good pretext for more RP.

Axxell wrote:I have another question about this church I found on the wikia: http://particracy.wikia.com/wiki/Luthor ... hal_Church
Should it be considered as part of the Aurorian Church? Or As a bishopal or another patriarchal church?

According to the SPC wiki page, the LPC was considered a de iure part of the SPC while being de facto independent. The LPC constituted the core of the Selucian Universal Church, a now defunct organization created more for OOC than IC reasons (players in Luthori were unhappy with the religious retcon and the fact that the old Selucian Catholic Church was turned into the Selucian Patriarchal Church without the consent of the players holding a leadership position within the Selucian Catholic Church party organization). Nothing's been RPd with that for RL years afaik, so either the schism subsided and the LPC is now a full member of the Aurorian Church, or it continues to exist as a small de facto independent denomination.

Edit: Turns out the Luthori Patriarchal Church/Luthori Catholic Church has been defunct for quite some time, and since the Selucian Universal Church is just as defunct, the LPC is currently non-existent.
Polites

Postby Axxell » Mon May 22, 2017 5:23 pm

Polites wrote:And to be perfectly honest, I'd rather see the TPC or APC try to introduce such changes only for them to be resisted by some branches of the religions, leading to schism and potentially the creation of new churches. Otherwise we're stuck with the same "perfect" situation potentially for millennia. A conflict over the role of women in religion, for example, has the potential to revitalize religious RP and lead to some messy IC disputes, which in the long run can only be a good thing.

Axxell wrote:My concerns are about a realistic management of the religions which, at least the major, are quite conservative and traditionalist.

I understand your concern, and ideally the players who take control over the religious organizations will maintain their overall "feel" and character. But even if they don't, that will be a good pretext for more RP.

This is really really interesting, because, maybe I did not express myself well, but I'm not against changement, if I have to be honest, it could be interesting the election of a Arch-patriarch of the largest branch of hosianism which decide to open the church to some progressive reforms, maybe following the example of the Luthorian Patriarchal Church itself.
But I think that something like that should be closely followed the management of such evolution. To be honest, I have a certain idea to propose the character I created just yestarday, the bishop of Romula, as future candidate to the Aurorian Patriarchal Church, which, given the fact that belong to the Theognosian rite, which as per the Wikia info it was always more progressive compared to the Selucian branch, he could try to introduce some changements.
Axxell

Postby Polites » Tue May 23, 2017 7:47 am

Axxell wrote:To be honest, I have a certain idea to propose the character I created just yestarday, the bishop of Romula, as future candidate to the Aurorian Patriarchal Church, which, given the fact that belong to the Theognosian rite, which as per the Wikia info it was always more progressive compared to the Selucian branch, he could try to introduce some changements.

Go for it then! I'd love to see some tensions between the Selucian and Theognosian branches of the Aurorian Church, and a reformist Theognosian-rite Arch-Patriarch has the potential for some very interesting RP.

Axxell wrote:But I think that something like that should be closely followed the management of such evolution.

Well if the changes are very drastic, they would need the approval of the RP team. If they are not, then they wouldn't really need micro-management from anyone :)

Worst case scenario, the RP gets annulled by the RP team and it would be as if nothing had happened. Best case scenario, though, would mean more RP, better engagement of the community in the religious organization, and fun, lasting, and memorable characters and events being introduced to the PT world.

So if you have a particular idea in mind for the Aurorian Patriarchal Church, by all means, apply for control over the APC and give us your best :D
Polites

Postby Axxell » Tue May 23, 2017 10:00 am

ok! I want try, I candidate myself to control the Aurorian Patriarchal Church :D then I would like talk with you (Polites) about the ideas I have so to inform the RP Team of my intention :D
Axxell

Postby Polites » Tue May 23, 2017 10:06 am

Axxell wrote:ok! I want try, I candidate myself to control the Aurorian Patriarchal Church :D then I would like talk with you (Polites) about the ideas I have so to inform the RP Team of my intention :D

Approved.
Polites

Postby SelucianCrusader » Thu May 25, 2017 1:34 pm

SelucianCrusader

Next

Return to Requests