Swedish General Election, 2018

Anything that isn't part of the game or its community goes here. KEEP IT CIVIL!

Which party would you vote for?

Social Democrats (S)
11
23%
Sweden Democrats (SD)
16
33%
Moderate Party (M)
3
6%
Centre Party (C)
4
8%
Left Party (V)
6
13%
Liberal Party (L)
4
8%
Green Party (MP)
2
4%
Christian Democrats (KD)
1
2%
Feminist Initiative (F!)
0
No votes
Other
1
2%
 
Total votes : 48

Swedish General Election, 2018

Postby Hrafn » Sat May 20, 2017 9:27 pm

Because everyone knows that Sweden is the most important country in the world. At least that is what our government seems to believe...

This election will actually be interesting. SD will probably get 25-30% of the seats and become either the largest or the second largest party. Neither the right-wing alliance (M+C+L+KD) nor the red-green governing coalition (S+MP(+V)) will be able to form a majority government. Furthermore, the Greens, the Liberals and the Christian Democrats are either below the 4% threshold or very close to it according to the polls, meaning that possibly 3 out of 8 parties could drop out of parliament, and something like 10% of the votes could be wasted. At the same time, the Feminist Initiative is closing in on the threshold from the other direction. If they enter they will basically be the Greens 2.0; if they get 3.9% or so they will pull left-wing votes, benefiting the right-wing (and SD).

The most likely government alternatives are SD+M(+KD) and S+C+L(+MP)(+V) respectively. S is effectively a welfare party for immigrants these days, and L, C, MP and V are fanatically pro-immigration. None of them want to touch SD with a 10 feet pole. However, C has lately profiled itself as the neoliberal party - their recent rise in popularity is all because of their new leader Annie Lööf who fancies herself as some kind of swedish Margaret Thatcher. If they go into a coalition with S, let alone V, they will alienate their new core supporters (their traditional rural base is already moving over to SD). L do not want anything to do with V, and even MP is stretching it. On the other hand, L has a long history of being shifty as f**k, so you never know. In any case, the latter coalition would be very uneasy and alienate a lot of voters.

Another possibility is that the right-wing parties will enable a left-wing minority government, or vice versa, by abstaining from voting. This will result in a weak government much like the one we've had since 2014, and cause even more voters to abandon the old parties in favor of SD. Especially if M does not take the chance to bring down S by allying with SD, M will be annihilated.

Some people hope for a grand coalition between S and M, the traditional "arch-enemies" of Swedish politics, like has happened in some european countries to stop the nationalists. I can tell you that this is extremely unlikely, and if it somehow does happen SD will grow even bigger the next election, either from getting more votes or from more voters abstaining or voting for some joke party, because people would be absolutely furious. Especially considering that polls have consistently shown since the 90s that the majority prefer SD's immigration policies, a Grand Coalition that sacrifices traditional left-right issues in order to defend mass immigration would be political suicide in Sweden.

So at the end of the day, I think that SD+M will form a new government, possibly with active or passive support from KD (if they make it into the parliament). If SD overtakes M as the second largest party, as the polls suggest, the next Prime Minister will be Jimmie Åkesson, and M will be reduced to the status of a junior partner in a coalition. That would be very pleasing to see in and of itself. :lol:
And if this somehow doesn't happen in 2018, it will definitely happen in 2022.
User avatar
Hrafn
 
Posts: 905
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:36 pm
Location: Where the sun does not set

Re: Swedish General Election, 2018

Postby SelucianCrusader » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:01 am

Hrafn wrote:So at the end of the day, I think that SD+M will form a new government, possibly with active or passive support from KD (if they make it into the parliament). If SD overtakes M as the second largest party, as the polls suggest, the next Prime Minister will be Jimmie Åkesson, and M will be reduced to the status of a junior partner in a coalition. That would be very pleasing to see in and of itself. :lol:
And if this somehow doesn't happen in 2018, it will definitely happen in 2022.
Something on those lines, but I doubt SD will actually be invited to the government itself, its more likely to be an M or M+KD (if they survive in parliament) with passive support from SD like DF in Denmark. Not sure what SD politicians the Moderate Party would accept in a cabinet apart from Mattias Karlsson, Paula Bieler and maybe a few other moderate (pun intended) representatives. Kent Ekeroth is finished (you know someone doesn't care anymore when he starts writing stuff about the death penalty on his FB page... :roll: ) and wouldn't surprise me if Björn Söder will go as well, he's served 8 years in parliament so now he'll have the right to a large pension until... pension.

Some power struggle going on in the Liberal Party atm. Actually I hope that Birgitta Ohlsson (the left-liberal candidate) wins. Classic/conservative liberals would probably do a better job somewhere else. And she's a lot more interesting to watch than the current guy anyway. :lol: Not many years ago, there was basically no difference between the four centre-right parties (the Alliance for Sweden) - they went to elections with a common Alliance manifesto and a common Alliance budget. Gonna be fun to have some more diversity in Swedish politics.
Image
Image
User avatar
SelucianCrusader
 
Posts: 1606
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:32 am
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: Swedish General Election, 2018

Postby SelucianCrusader » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:27 am

I also kinda hope F! makes it to parliament, maybe at the cost of the Greens. They wanna increase the national spending by 50% (!).They're crazy. It's fun. Not like anyone is gonna give them any influence anyway.... or will they.. ehhrm?? :?
Image
Image
User avatar
SelucianCrusader
 
Posts: 1606
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:32 am
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: Swedish General Election, 2018

Postby Hrafn » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:54 pm

SelucianCrusader wrote:I also kinda hope F! makes it to parliament, maybe at the cost of the Greens. They wanna increase the national spending by 50% (!).They're crazy. It's fun. Not like anyone is gonna give them any influence anyway.... or will they.. ehhrm?? :?

Agree. I want to see debates between SD and F! in the Riksdag. Would spice things up. :mrgreen:
User avatar
Hrafn
 
Posts: 905
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:36 pm
Location: Where the sun does not set

Re: Swedish General Election, 2018

Postby Jessaveryja » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:43 pm

It would be nice to see a Swedish Government that actually likes Swedish people.
Image
Joined Particracy on: December 18, 2008
Click here for my versions of Siggon's spreadsheets.
User avatar
Jessaveryja
 
Posts: 2189
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:53 pm
Location: Telamon

Re: Swedish General Election, 2018

Postby MichaelReilly » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:11 pm

Once again, Particracy's fascist player base rears its head.
Down with this sort of thing
User avatar
MichaelReilly
 
Posts: 1127
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:39 pm
Location: The boy from the County Hell

Re: Swedish General Election, 2018

Postby Hrafn » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:26 pm

44% for SD. Cool.

SelucianCrusader wrote:Something on those lines, but I doubt SD will actually be invited to the government itself, its more likely to be an M or M+KD (if they survive in parliament) with passive support from SD like DF in Denmark. Not sure what SD politicians the Moderate Party would accept in a cabinet apart from Mattias Karlsson, Paula Bieler and maybe a few other moderate (pun intended) representatives. Kent Ekeroth is finished (you know someone doesn't care anymore when he starts writing stuff about the death penalty on his FB page... :roll: ) and wouldn't surprise me if Björn Söder will go as well, he's served 8 years in parliament so now he'll have the right to a large pension until... pension.

I have a hard time seeing that happening if SD actually becomes larger than M. In a way it could be a good strategy though - if they play their cards right they could demand that M(+KD) adopt their policies on immigration while at the same time, by not actually being in the government, they could avoid taking the blame for any bad things that might happen during that term (including things that have nothing to do with the government, such as a global recession - you know, voters are stupid).

The question is how would current and prospective SD voters feel about SD settling for being a support beam for a government that is smaller than themselves? I can easily see people feeling betrayed in that case. Especially considering that half of SD are left-wingers - SD's right-wing and left-wing flanks have been held together in opposition to the establishment parties, but as soon as SD is forced to pick a side a lot of people will be disappointed. I think SD needs to split into at least two parties.

SelucianCrusader wrote:Some power struggle going on in the Liberal Party atm. Actually I hope that Birgitta Ohlsson (the left-liberal candidate) wins. Classic/conservative liberals would probably do a better job somewhere else. And she's a lot more interesting to watch than the current guy anyway. :lol: Not many years ago, there was basically no difference between the four centre-right parties (the Alliance for Sweden) - they went to elections with a common Alliance manifesto and a common Alliance budget. Gonna be fun to have some more diversity in Swedish politics.

The Liberals are by far the most annoying party in swedish politics. Calling for more mass surveillance, telling families how to organize their housework and sucking up the EU and NATO no matter what is not liberal. They should be honest and change their name to the Globalist Nanny State Party.
User avatar
Hrafn
 
Posts: 905
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:36 pm
Location: Where the sun does not set

Re: Swedish General Election, 2018

Postby Hrafn » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:41 pm

SelucianCrusader wrote:Kent Ekeroth is finished (you know someone doesn't care anymore when he starts writing stuff about the death penalty on his FB page... :roll: )

The funny thing is that when I talk to people at work, at university, etc., I don't at all get the impression that most Swedes find the death penalty repugnant. True, only a minority actively advocate for it, but most people I talk to eventually concede that certain categories of criminals have no right to exist. The public debate and the discussions in workplace cafeterias are completely different.
User avatar
Hrafn
 
Posts: 905
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:36 pm
Location: Where the sun does not set

Re: Swedish General Election, 2018

Postby Elf » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:51 am

We had Church elections yesterday. Not much to note really. Social dems and Centre party rose a bit. SD did too, but only to 10% which was less than expected. Disaster for the Greens which is sure an interesting sign for the next General election... Independents also rose which I think is a good thing... the system is stupid. These elections are very susceptible to the actions of relatively few since only about 15% of the electorate actually vote..

Myself I couldn't vote since I'm not a member of the CoS, but if I could I think I would have voted for a more High Church group of independents called Fearless Church who got 3.9% of the vote this time.

Hrafn wrote:The funny thing is that when I talk to people at work, at university, etc., I don't at all get the impression that most Swedes find the death penalty repugnant. True, only a minority actively advocate for it, but most people I talk to eventually concede that certain categories of criminals have no right to exist. The public debate and the discussions in workplace cafeterias are completely different.
True, especially if paedophiles are mentioned. Of course there's a big difference between wishing people where dead and actually trying to have government make that happen... :|

Hrafn wrote:The question is how would current and prospective SD voters feel about SD settling for being a support beam for a government that is smaller than themselves? I can easily see people feeling betrayed in that case. Especially considering that half of SD are left-wingers - SD's right-wing and left-wing flanks have been held together in opposition to the establishment parties, but as soon as SD is forced to pick a side a lot of people will be disappointed. I think SD needs to split into at least two parties.
If the breakaway faction of the former youth group weren't a bunch of wannabe-brats with hubris, they'd take that social nationalist route instead of trying to be the 'real right'. Al lot of those grass-roots people you mention are former social dems who love the welfare state but want it to only be for their own group and despise nature, religion, the US etc. - a lot of those are gonna be pissed once the SD ends up as a supporting wheel for the centre-right, which seems to have been the plan for quite some time (that's also why SD not wanting to have anything with Front National to do was kinda predictable).
Shiny happy people holding hands
Shiny happy people holding hands
Shiny happy people laughing
User avatar
Elf
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:01 am
Location: Kali Yuga

Re: Swedish General Election, 2018

Postby Hrafn » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:33 pm

The Church election is a really weird institution. Is there any other religious organization in the world where secular political parties take part in the election of its council?
User avatar
Hrafn
 
Posts: 905
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:36 pm
Location: Where the sun does not set

Next

Return to Off-topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests