Languages and polyglotism

Anything that is not directly related to the game or its community.

Languages and polyglotism

Postby Hrafn » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:09 pm

(Yes, we've had a thread on this before, but that was many years ago.)

I'm taking a course in Northern Sami right now. Don't know how useful it will really be, but since I'm studying to become a nature guide in the mountain region, I though that it would be fitting.
Hrafn

Re: Languages and polyglotism

Postby Aethan » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:39 pm

I really like languages, and for me, it's funny to learn them.

Since I was little here in my country children area thought English (from 3 years old until they leave school), and some schools like mine also thought French, or German.
In my case, I speak French and English fluently, and I'm currently also learning Italian (obviously apart from my native Spanish :P )
In Marea - Civis Sinistram - Selucia Former
Left Bloc - Istalia
Bright Spring - Kirlawa

PT Wiki Admin
Aethan

Postby TPPDJT » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:30 pm

As an American I obviously speak english, but I can also speak a bit of Latvian, Russian, German, and Spanish. The Spanish is coming along well, but I haven't bothered to continue learning any of the previous 3.
"Whoever excommunicates me, excommunicates God." - Girolamo Savonarola

"In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king." - Desiderius Erasmus
TPPDJT

Postby Hrafn » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:21 pm

TPPDJT wrote:As an American I obviously speak english, but I can also speak a bit of Latvian, Russian, German, and Spanish. The Spanish is coming along well, but I haven't bothered to continue learning any of the previous 3.

The Baltic languages have intrigued me for a long time. Supposedly, they are the most archaic branch of the Indo-European family. I don't think that I would be able (or willing) to actually learn any of them though.
In fact, my main objective in studying languages isn't usually to actually be able to speak. I'm more interested in grammar and linguistics as a science. For this reason, the more obscure and alien a language is, the more it will interest me. :mrgreen: The closest I've come to attaining actual speaking proficiency in a foreign language (aside from English, French and German, which I studied in school) would be Old Norse/Icelandic, and that's only because I have an interest in norse mythology.
Hrafn

Postby Elf » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:52 pm

Amazes me that Interlingua doesn't have a bigger following. It's perfect in every way possible.

My dad speaks Esperanto. I'm only fluent in Swedish and English - I know a bit of German but got the equivalent of an E at high school - mein vokabular ist sehr klein. Plus - if you actually go to Germany nearly everyone under 40 only wants to speak English with you. Nowadays I almost felt it'd be better if I had studied French instead. At least it'd be good for dating. :D

Been to Norway a couple of times, and while I can't really *speak* the language I understand it perfectly (not that that's hard for Swedes in general) and I periodically follow Norwegian politics. Same with Danish at least in written form - however listening to it is a bit harder since they pronounce the words like murlocs. :lol:

Privately I'm more interested in more 'obscure' languages though: Latin, Sanskrit, Welsh/Gaelic, Sindarin, Icelandic. Learning some Mandarin would be cool as well.
Shiny happy people holding hands
Shiny happy people holding hands
Shiny happy people laughing
Elf

Postby TPPDJT » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:26 pm

Hrafn wrote:
TPPDJT wrote:As an American I obviously speak english, but I can also speak a bit of Latvian, Russian, German, and Spanish. The Spanish is coming along well, but I haven't bothered to continue learning any of the previous 3.

The Baltic languages have intrigued me for a long time. Supposedly, they are the most archaic branch of the Indo-European family. I don't think that I would be able (or willing) to actually learn any of them though.
In fact, my main objective in studying languages isn't usually to actually be able to speak. I'm more interested in grammar and linguistics as a science. For this reason, the more obscure and alien a language is, the more it will interest me. :mrgreen: The closest I've come to attaining actual speaking proficiency in a foreign language (aside from English, French and German, which I studied in school) would be Old Norse/Icelandic, and that's only because I have an interest in norse mythology.

Interesting perspective. I was taught a little Latvian and Russian by my Latvian grandmother when I was younger, but I lacked the discipline at the time to continue learning in greater detail. My grandfather was a Russified German so he also taught me a little of his native German. Unfortunately, German is my weakest language.

TPPDJT

Postby TPPDJT » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:31 pm

Elf wrote: Nowadays I almost felt it'd be better if I had studied French instead. At least it'd be good for dating. :D

My school offers French as a language to learn, but I chose Spanish instead. I kind of regret that now, since I find French to be a little easier on the ears then Spanish.

TPPDJT

Postby matthewleitch » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:17 pm

As a brit, I am obviously fluent in English and I am currently learning French - I don't know any others though :lol:
4042-4190: Baltusian Republican Party (Baltusia)
4190- : Republican Party (Cildania)

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there’d be a shortage of sand.” -Milton Friedman
matthewleitch

Postby Zanz » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:44 pm

All these linguists yet nobody's helping with Jelbic. :oops:
Just a bunch of shit.
Zanz

Postby Hrafn » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:00 am

Zanz wrote:All these linguists yet nobody's helping with Jelbic. :oops:

I can help. What needs doing?
Hrafn

Next