Yingdala

National news threads that host the key national news outlets for each of the game’s countries.

Re: Great Indralan Gazette

Postby TreeHugger » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:18 am

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Paid for by the Republicans of Indrala

保守聯盟 (Conservative Coalition) - Republic of Indrala
TreeHugger

Postby Wu Han » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:20 pm

Typhoon Yutu Death Toll Rises to 32, Estimated $600M in Damages
Typhoon clear of Indralan shores, but has left a visible and lasting scar on the South
April 30 4289
Downtown Nandu flooded after Typhoon Yutu after nearly 1,182 mm of rainfall

Typhoon Yutu has claimed 32 lives according to local authorities in Shu, and it is possible that this number may rise. While the typhoon was not nearly as severe as anticipated, infrastructure and property damage have been estimated at $1.2 billion. Total loss to the economy is estimated to be around $3.7B as Shu farmers struggle with crop loss and other economic sectors contract. The Republicans put forward a bill before the typhoon made landfall demanding $100 billion in a federal transfer to the province. Today the Chancellor spoke with the media to announce why the Lotus Party is voting against:
Huang Zitao, Chancellor: Thank you all for gathering here today. Three days ago the Republican Party introduced a bill to transfer $100 billion INS to Shu Province.
This would amount to 12.5% of all government spending, and an increase of nearly 15% to our government spending, in one simple transfer. This would be irresponsible. Further, in keeping with our tradition of evidence-based policy decisionmaking, we decided to listen to local authorities in Shu who have announced damages of around $600 million. Economists have put the figure at around $2 billion, or around 2% of the suggested transfer. Our government will be introducing a relief package of $6 billion to Shu and the surrounding areas to ensure that economic strains are mitigated and reconstruction efforts can get started as soon as possible.

Our thoughts today are also, of course, with the 12 who have perished in this awful storm, and all their families and friends.
Long Jingyi, Press Secretary to the Chancellor: We have time for four questions.

Dai Shun, Southern Voice: Thank you Chancellor. The Republican leader and caucus have been leading a ground effort to personally "evacuate and feed" those affected by the typhoon, any response?

Huang Zitao, Chancellor: Thank you for the question Reporter Dai. While we commend the Republican caucus on their attitude toward the tragedy, we hope that the Republicans won't be interfering with our brave first-responders who are there to do their jobs and not be interrupted by politicians. We are happy to see that Mr. Zhang has offered to support financial measures to support Shu.
Kong Hua, TNN: Zhang Zemin attacked your government's actions toward Dalibor, and personally attacked you, calling you "little man." What do you say to this? How is the government handling the crisis in Dalibor?

*chuckles from media and the Chancellor*
Huang Zitao, Chancellor: ... While the... passion... of Zhang Zemin is certainly something to behold, he has not been in contact with the government in any way on this file. Our government is monitoring the situation very closely, and we will be prepared to respond very shortly. The barbaric slaughter of innocent Indralans in Dalibor is truly reprehensible, and it will end.
Kong Hua, TNN: Are you planning a military strike against Dalibor?

Huang Zitao, Chancellor: I cannot give much information at this time. We are exploring military options but hope for a diplomatic solution, as always.
Long Jingyi, Press Secretary to the Chancellor: One more question.

Qiu Ruogang, Tian'an Times: Some have suggested that the opposition leader's actions in Shu are politically motivated, as the Republicans are plotting a return to their home province in the next election, do you share this belief?

Huang Zitao, Chancellor: I don't doubt Mr. Zhang's convictions in trying to save lives in Shu. Let's not make politics out of this tragedy.
Long Jingyi, Press Secretary to the Chancellor: Thank you everyone, thanks! The Minister of Environment will be able to respond to further questions regarding the typhoon. Thank you.
Last edited by Wu Han on Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
(he/him)
Current: Cildania
Former: Listed Here
Wu Han

Postby TreeHugger » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:52 pm

ZHANG ZEMIN HOSPITLIZED, BECOMES NATIONAL HERO
Republican Leader Zhang Zemin was hospitalized after suffering life threatening injuries in his successful attempt at saving a 3 month old baby in rural Shu Province

Republican Leader Zhang Zemin took this “selfie” from his hospital bed but it was soon deleted by his staff.
April 30, 4289
[HANZHOU, SHU]: Republican leader Zhang Zemin fulfilled his promise to save lives in a massive ground effort lead by his Republican caucus, however he nearly killed himself in the process. In the middle of the deadly storm, Zhang Zemin found himself in a child's home, where a 3 month old baby was trapped under the door. According to his fellow caucus members, Zhang Zemin dove for over 3 minutes (he would not have been able to do this without the military trainmen he received as a teenager, according to several of his closest aids) in an attempt to save the child, and eventually the baby floated to the surface, however Mr. Zhang did not. Rescuers had to intervene in order to save him, as he was caught on a loose piece of barbed wire inside the home. His doctor, Dong ZhenKang, held a press conference to enlighten the public on Mr. Zhang’s health:
Dr. Dong Zhenkang: I will not be taking any questions, however I will provide you with a brief update on Mr. Zhang. At 2:00am this morning, Mr. Zhang arrived in our emergency ward unconscious and blue in the face. At 2:30am we successfully revived Mr. Zhang and he opened his eyes. At 4:45am he was awake and able to formulate basic sentences, however his speech was impeded by the vast amount of pain killers he was on. We currently have Mr. Zhang under close supervision and will provide further updates as his condition improves.

Dr. Dong ZhenKang taking questions

Unfortunatley for Dr. Dong, the press was hungry:
Reporter Ming Liu: But wait doctor! How did this happen?!

Dr. Dong ZhenKang: Mr. Zhang is a very brave man. He managed to save a 3 month old baby from drowning during the peak of the storm. The baby is currently in the intensive care unit and is expected to make it, barring any complications

The brave and bold actions taken by the Republican leader and his caucus are unlikely to go unnoticed after these revelations, but only time will tell if the brave Zhang Zemin will live to tell the tale.

More to come...
TreeHugger

Postby TreeHugger » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:27 am

REPUBLICANS RELEASE NEW MANIFESTO
First new platform for over 20 years sets out new direction for party

Image Image Image Image Image

January 20, 4290
[HAZHOU, SHU] The Republicans have released their new party platform ahead of this year's election, hoping that increased exposure and new ideas will better the party's chances of gaining their home province of Shu back. The most surprising of these proposals is their nod to Shu independence, which is a topic rarely talked about among Indralans, however the party seems to be aiming at a particular sector of the electorate with this policy proposal. The party has preserved its Xuan Shuren era approach to eduction, hoping that exposing the young to advanced trades and engineering training will bring more employers into the sector which has been struggling to find workers. Their proposed cuts to healthcare are consistent with legislation that was passed during the Xiandai scandal era, when several Republican cabinet ministers resigned immediately after passing radical bills that otherwise would have never had the approval of their leader. This stark turn to the right has many people concerned about the impact of a Republican government, however the party has a lot of confidence in their leader and his ability to lead them to victory, assuming Mr. Zhang can leave the hospital soon and start early campaigning for the party. In the meantime, Food and Agriculture critic Kang Yuhan is serving as temporary leader until Zhang Zemin is released from hospital.

More to come...
TreeHugger

Postby Wu Han » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:15 pm

Indralan Armed Forces Hold Military Exercise Near Shaowan, Jiaozhi
The Armed Forces held the largest military drill in recent memory as the conflict escalates in Dalibor
20-26 April 4290
Various activities during the drills

KIAZHOU, Jiaozhi - The Indralan Armed Forced launched an exercise to prepare its military for potential action in Dalibor, according to Indralan Defense Ministry officials. The drills took place over six days.

All branches of Indrala's military were involved in the drills, which included warplanes, anti-submarine craft, fighter jets (including the brand new I20 stealth-fighter, developed by Xiandai Defence Industries) and other naval craft.
Newly-aquired I20 stealth-fighters

The island’s Chancellor, Huang Zitao, observed the drills in Shaowan on Thursday. Speaking to media, Huang said:
I have instructed my Ambassador to the World Congress, Zhou Jiahao, to deliver an ultimatum to belligerents in this conflict; declare an unconditional ceasefire until everyone can be brought to the negotiating table, or the international community, including Indrala, will be forced to step in to ensure peace and stability. These drills are to prepare our forces should the fighters in Dalibor choose the second option.

Asked about the potential military deployment, Chancellor Huang was vague:
If we get involved, it will be in a peacekeeping capacity, absolutely. We must ensure that innocent lives are saved.
Last edited by Wu Han on Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(he/him)
Wu Han

Postby TreeHugger » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:16 am

ZHANG ZEMIN RETURNS FROM SICKNESS
Republican leader promises to hold Huang Zitao accountable during "critical times like these"

A frail-looking Zhang Zemin prepares to address reporters after his long awaited return to the National Conference

June 5, 4290
[TIAN'AN, HAN] Zhang Zemin emerged from the National Conference Friday evening looking frail and timid. Today was his first day back after recovering in the hospital for several months after suffering brain trauma as a result of oxygen deprivation caused by drowning in a home while saving a 3 month old baby during Typhoon Yutu. The opposition leader was quiet and reserved for much of the day, however it didn't take him long to get riled up about the current situation in Dalibor:
Zhang Zemin: I believe in the military option. 100%. I think we should be considering a nuclear option, to be quite frank. Let's not diddle saddle like little boy Mr. Huang, ok... It is in the best interest of Indralans that we resolve this conflict swiftly and with brute, yet precise force. Life is too short for us to think diplomacy will solve any issues or save any lives. If Huang Zitao's diplomatic tactics were of any use, people would not still be dying. I am a compassionate man with a big heart and a big capacity for love, just ask my wife, but this is getting ridiculous. The Chancellor shouldn't be holding military drills lasting for a mere six days, he should be launching a full scale military campaign!
Reporter: What do you make of the Chancellor's response to Typhoon Yutu, I mean, you nearly died to save a child, while Huang Zitao observed the conflict from the safety of his home

Zhang Zemin: Well first of all I adore your question, you pretty well answered it for me... get me in touch with your boss okay? But in all seriousness, the Chancellor has a very serious job. I won't claim to have done more than him or to be smarter than him, because I'm the one who nearly got himself killed. What I will say is that a child had a second chance at life because of me, because of our party. That's what I want Indralans to realize. We aren't perfect, but we can start this over with a second chance for our country. The reason you are asking questions like this one is because it is my duty to hold Mr. Huang accountable, and that is what I promise to do for as long as I live. Especially in times of such turbulence, when we are tested the most. In critical times like these, I will hold Mr. Huang accountable.

More to come...
TreeHugger

Postby Wu Han » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:34 am

LOTUS PARTY MANIFESTO - OVERVIEW (LUTHORIAN EDITION)
(he/him)
Wu Han

Postby Wu Han » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:08 am

These are the three most viewed stories from the Tian'an Times online homepage

Lotus Party Falls to Third Place for First Time in History; Chancellor Huang Re-elected
Young Lotus Party supporters cry and pray for a better result

Election Night Collape
A visibly distraught Chancellor Huang Zitao walked onto the stage set up in Mudanwan, Min around 11:50 pm and was met with deafening, emotional chants of "Bùyào cízhí!" (Do not resign!). Fighting back tears, the Chancellor spoke for only thirty minutes before leaving the stage. During his speech, Huang said:
The pain in my heart is beyond measure. I cannot help but feel responsible for the damage to this party. I do not deserve your support. *Huang bows*

The Lotus Party received only 26.07% of the vote, the lowest result in the Party's history. Jia Ling, Professor of Political Science at Enshi University attributes the election result to the Lotus Party's failure to get their supporters to the polls, as well as criticism coming from the Opposition in regard to the government's handling of Typhoon Yutu.

Surprise Endorsement
Just before the election, Zhang Zemin shockingly withdrew his candidacy and endorsed Huang Zitao. According to a spokesperson for the Republicans, the party decided to endorse Huang when it became clear that the National Awakening Party (NAP) posed a serious threat.
Despite Mr. Zhang being the better option for the future of our nation, a change in power at this time would be irresponsible. It also became clear during the campaign that Mr. Zhang is still too ill following his brush with death in Shu to serve in the Chancellory. Additionally, while the leftist policies of the Lotus Party are despicable, the full-on Metzist activism of the NAP is disgusting and dangerous.

Huang cited Zhang's endorsement in his election night speech:
Tonight I extend my gratitude to Zhang Zemin, for the motherland country before party allegiance. Though this is a role I am not certain that I deserve, *voice crack* it is a role I will continue to serve with an apologetic and humble soul, with the goal of maintaining stability in these rocky times.

Rise of the NAP
Despite having never passed one of the four bills it has proposed in its history and maintaining a 91% voting record with the Lotus Party, the National Awakening Party managed to grab 33.97% of the popular vote, becoming the second largest party in the National Conference. Professor Jia Ling had trouble describing how this happened:
Frankly it surprised my colleagues and I. None of us saw it coming. We suspect that the NAP success had to do with discontentment from the Lotus Party base choosing instead to vote for NAP out of protest.

Future of the National Conference
Despite losing the majority of their seats, the Lotus Party intends to test the Conference for confidence. The Lotus Party is well acquainted with the political maneuvering required to make a minority work, though Professor Jia Ling is suspicious:
It's hard to see how a government with just more than a quarter of seats in the National Conference can maintain the confidence of the parliament in the next session without a coalition arrangement. While the Lotus Party was able to manage a minority in the last Conference, they were the largest party. Now, in third place... we'll see.

Embattled Chancellor Spends First Day After Election Volunteering in Shu
Chancellor Huang tries his hand at bricklaying during a training day at the Enshi University Relief Corps HQ in Nandu

The Chancellor spent his first day after the election volunteering with many different relief organizations. Still visibly subdued from the election, Huang began his day by touring the Enshi University Relief Corps Headquarters in Nandu, meeting with volunteers and participating in a bricklaying training exercise.

Following that, the Chancellor Travelled to the Indrala Food Angels HQ where he volunteered by handing out meals to displaced families.
Chancellor Huang distributing meals

Afterward, the Chancellor spoke to volunteers and media:
I am forever grateful for the thousands of volunteers who have come from around our country and around the world when our fellow countrymen are facing such adversity. Let me assure you today that our government will continue to support this great province as it continues to rebuild bigger and better than ever before. Whenever our citizens, or any people around the world face natural disasters of such a magnitude, we must show and prove our solidarity. To that end, I would like to extend my sincere thanks to my friend, former-President de la Cruz, and the people of Dankuk for being the first to offer their assistance before the Typhoon had even made landfall. I would also like to thank Mr. Bernhart Hofmeister and the United Developmental Assistance Programme for their support during this difficult time. I will be introducing legislation to induct these individuals into the Order of Friendship for their assistance and friendship to our nation.

TSEC Drops 7% Following Election

The Tian'an Stock Exchange Composite closed 7% lower than it opened this morning as the market responds to the election last night. On Friday the Tian'an Stock Exchange Composite closed at 3288.59. Today it closed at 3052.12.

The market closed higher than usual heading into the election as investors and traders anticipated a returned Lotus Party government, which promised privatization of the banking sector among other pro-private sector pledges in its manifesto. Now, as traders fear political volatility ahead and with the promise of banking sector deregulation looking precarious, investor confidence has fallen.
(he/him)
Wu Han

Postby TreeHugger » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:45 am

REPUBLICANS ENDORSE HUANG ZITAO
Republicans become largest party in National Conference but give up their chance at forming government

Zhang Zemin on stage at the Pàocài Hien Ho-King Conference Centre for business and development in Kaizhou moments before the decision to endorse Huang Zitao was made

[TIAN'AN, HAN] In a shocking move that not a single Indralan could see for all their years, the Republicans endorsed Lotus Party leader Huang Zitao for Chancellor. The decision was abrupt, not swift nor planned. It was a judgement made in the last hour before the polls opened and the ballots were printed, it was a decision made upon the setting sun.

SETTING THE SCENE
The evening before the ballots were printed for the election, Zhang Zemin was giving a speech on the importance of international credibility when it comes to doing business. This took place at the Pàocài Hien Ho-King Conference Centre for business and development in Kaizhou. His speech outlined his new thinkings for the economic grand plan of Indrala moving forward, citing an increase in privatization but with a matched set of regulatory measures that would see only certain sectors (such as agriculture and resource development) remain tax and regulation free, while so called "luxury goods" would face tighter restrictions on the basis of their actual necessity - not perceived demand. Foreign investors and business men and women of Indrala alike were focused in on the leader and his speech with high intensity. Mr. Zhang then turned political as he asked the crowd who would like to see a Republican government in the National Conference instead of the Lotus Party and the result was clear...

Zhang Zemin gauging the support for his party among Indralan business leaders.

TENSIONS RISE
As his speech slowly chugged on, the crowd became tired and sleepy. Zhang Zemin had apparently not understood the doctors orders to "take it easy" as he trudged through his speech. Seconds became minutes and minutes became hours, and eventually Zhang Zemin started to slur his words. At first the crowd interpreted it as simple stuttering, however Mr. Zhang started to topple over under his own weight. He flipped over, as one observer put it: "a** over tea kettle." His aides rushed on stage to escort his body off swiftly, and the crowd stood up in anticipation and fear. Hall 1A of the Pàocài Hien Ho-King Conference Centre for business and development in Kaizhou had never been so tense...

Zhang Zemin beginning to stroke

The Republican leader's aids were quick to assist him

AFTERMATH
After 20 minutes, Zhang Zemin returned on stage with a glass of what appeared to be water and a new pair of pants. He apologized for the inconvenience and assured the audience that he was going to be alright. His closing remarks highlighted the necessity of political stability to breed a positive business environment, and he spent a great deal of time attacking the NAP (National Awakening Party) for their lack of political engagement and passive approach to sensitive issues, such as the Dalibor crisis and Typhoon Yutu. He urged the business men and women and foreign investors to place their faith in traditional Indralan lawmakers such as himself and Huang Zitao, for despite their differences he says, they share a country of people that unite them. His closing remarks were met with roaring applause and cheers, to which he ended with a salute and great sip of water.

Zhang Zemin waving goodbye to his crowd

ELECTION RESULTS
Following Zhang Zemin's incident, the Republicans held a news conference announcing their intention to endorse Huang Zitao as Chancellor in order to prevent a NAP government. The focus for the party is getting their leader back to good health before they launch a full scale campaign and contest for the next election with a strong and fortified Zhang Zemin at the helm. Despite this, the election gave the Republicans an overall positive result, however they are largely powerless without Zhang Zemin as Chancellor. The Republicans have hinted towards working with the Lotus Party on some issues until the next election is called, however they want nothing to do with the National Awakening Party. Only time will tell if Zhang Zemin can get back to health and lead this struggling party into a majority government in the future.

More to come...
TreeHugger

Postby TreeHugger » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:11 pm

HUANG HOMOSEXUAL?
NO BULL® GUARANTEE
BOVINE NEWS
Local, undeniable, crystal news.

Huang Zitao and one of his interns share an embrace while on the campaign trail

[NANDU, SHU] Reports have surfaced from multiple sources that Huang Zitao, Chancellor of Indrala, has had an affair with a male intern at the National Conference. This outrageous act of indecency and malpractice puts his wife in the position of extreme shamefulness. Our insiders have frequented the living quarters of Kim Bo-Young, Kyo National refugee and wife of Huang Zitao. It has become clear that her body has surpassed the "prime" of it's lifetime and has forced Mr. Huang to pursue deviant acts. We reached out to the Office of the Chancellor but received no response, which has only cemented the reality of this scandal.
TreeHugger

PreviousNext

Return to National News