Arranged Marriages

Propose and review new legislative variables for the game.

Arranged Marriages

Postby Wu Han » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:20 am

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding the logic of the current options for arranged marriages:

Arranged marriages

↳Arranged marriages are illegal.
↳Arranged marriages are legal and binding.
↳The legality of arranged marriages lies with local governments.
Arranged marriages are legal for one gender only.

... for one gender only? So only gay couples can be arrange-married? Women are allowed to be arrange-married, but the men in the arrangement are breaking the law? I think I understand the sentiment, but perhaps then we could introduce a new government policy with regard to bride-prices, marriage age, or something to that respect?

Unless someone can understand how this makes sense, I would propose that that option is scrapped. I would suggest that the policy is changed to:

Arranged marriages

↳Arranged marriages are illegal.
↳Arranged marriages are legal and binding.
Arranged marriages are legal but non-binding
↳The legality of arranged marriages lies with local governments.
(he/him)
Current: Cildania
Former: Listed Here
Wu Han

Re: Arranged Marriages

Postby Hrafn » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:47 am

I've always assumed that it means that only women can be forced into a marriage against their will while men have the right to choose (or vice versa).

I think "Forced marriage" would be a better choice of wording that "Arranged marriage" however. They are not the same thing.
Hrafn

Postby jamescfm » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:09 am

hrafn’s interpretation is what I’ve always assumed the variable meant. If it’s in effect then parents can arrange a marriage for their daughter/son (whichever is specified as the one gender) but can’t arrange a marriage for their child of the other gender.
jamescfm

Postby Wu Han » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:40 pm

Hrafn wrote:I think "Forced marriage" would be a better choice of wording that "Arranged marriage" however. They are not the same thing.

I agree, and I think that is essentially my point. A forced marriage differs from an arranged marriage in that an arranged marriage means that both parties consent, which is why I feel that the position "arranged marriages are legal and binding" would be the closest to capturing the sentiment of forced marriages, which can encompass a misogynistic element, should you so desire.

Even if only one gender can be forced into marriage, it would still be an arrangement with the other party. Actually...

If we really want to keep a specifically addressed gender policy in the arranged marriage policies, perhaps it could be amended to:

Only individuals from a certain gender can be forced into marriage.

I just don't care for the language of the current policy since it seems to misunderstand this difference between arranged and forced marriages, as we discussed above, and it is rather ambiguous.
(he/him)
Current: Cildania
Former: Listed Here
Wu Han

Postby FPC » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:04 pm

I like Wu Han's proposal, I'll implement that language change.
Used to be relevant
FPC

Return to Laws