Clarification on one-party states

Threads from before the Dec 15, 2023 migration.

Clarification on one-party states

Postby Martinulus » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:31 pm

So I see Hulstria has reverted to being Austrian and is actively cracking down on Kunihito identity. I have half an idea to try another Septembrist uprising. Given the strong tradition of the ideology and the fact that totalitarianism really doesn't sit well, I'd love to launch another Septembrist Movement.

Unfortunately, Hulstria has a one-party state RP law which specifically threatens that all parties outside the party will be inactivated. I'd like to have some clarification on whether this type of RP law bans a player from playing an extra-parliamentary, extra-governmental, illegal opposition movement. If the letter of the RP law is observed, obviously not, but that'd mean the system would be perpetual and would in my opinion be an intolerable constraint on the freedom of RP. It would basically mean mod-enforced absence of all opposition and would lead to the one-party state in perpetuity. Additionally, since the RP law actively stipulates a party ideology, it also places restrictions on the types of playable parties which are rather broad.

I think there's a good case to state that no RP law can ban a player from RPing an opposition outside the legislature. At least that's how I remember them being enforced a while back. Some clarification would be appreciated!
Hosianisch-Demokratisches Verbund - Hulstria and Gao-Soto

Notable previous parties:
Folkepartiet (People's Party) - Kazulia
Martinulus

Re: Clarification on one-party states

Postby Martinulus » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:39 pm

Also, while we're on the topic of Hulstria, I really consider the city names to have been altered in a very strange way. There have been canon Hulstrian names for all places which are recorded on the wiki. Even when these were changed to Kunikata names, the Hulstrian names were still preserved on the wiki. To change them in the way they have really hurts RP continuity (in fact, it rides roughshod over the work of people like Philip and Bean who have put a lot of work into the Greater Hulstria era).

Martinulus

Postby FPC » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:03 pm

Hi, as the RP law states:
RP laws which ban parties but permit players to role-play as factions or caucuses instead are allowed. For example, it is permitted to introduce a one-party state system, where players role-play different factions of the party.

This means that he is perfectly within his rights to maintain this law and it will be enforced until it is abolished by a two/thirds majority. So if your party is active then it must abide by these laws and act as a faction of the main party. If you want to play an inactive party with no seats then you are permitted to do that, provided that you contact all other players in your nation first to receive their consent. It is a tricky situation but I hope that my reply will help you out a bit. I'm happy to continue this conversation if you have any more questions about the rule.

With regards to the city names all changes were perfectly legal so unfortunately we can't do anything about it at this stage. The original names are all preserved on the bill so you will be able to revert them back if you gain enough seats and moderation will be happy to comply.
Used to be relevant
FPC

Postby Polites » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:15 pm

If it's any consolation, the one-party state is meant to be temporary and will be overthrown soon, as you can see here.
Polites

Postby Martinulus » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:30 pm

Ah, I'll comply then.

Polites, I can't seem to find the plan. Any chance of a more specific link?

Martinulus

Postby Polites » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:09 am

Oh sorry, linked the wrong page. The plan is detailed on the first page of the thread:

Once invasion of Hulstria happens, we agree it will be like western coalition v Iraq style scenario. The end game is that a new democracy-friendly government is installed.

EDIT: And here's some more info on the underground opposition movements against the regime.
Polites

Return to Archive