Yingdala

National news threads that host the key national news outlets for each of the game’s countries.

Re: Indralan Consortium of Journalists

Postby Wu Han » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:09 pm

Published by the Lotus Party of Indrala: Luthorian Edition

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Grand Chancellor Congratulates Septemberist Forces

The Grand Chancellor Kwan Zhiyong has reached out to the leadership of the Septemberist Movement to congratulate them on their victory over the Hulstrian regime which thrust many in the world into war. In part, her letter read:

Today, the world marks the transition between evil forces who oppressed their own people for nearly five decades, and the Septemberist Movement.

The multiracial, multifaith men and women in the Septemberist Movement looked out at their nation, ripped apart by racism, bigotry and indeed disease; and so, together they lead a revolution that uplifted the lives of millions. The horrors endured for too long are over, and together the people of Hulstria Gao-Soto march toward a future in which all persons can finally live in the freedom they so richly deserve.

The Grand Chancellor also expressed her desire for a new relationship with Hulstria Gao-Soto, as well as offering assistance in the hard task of redevelopment which lies ahead.

(he/him)
Current: Cildania
Former: Listed Here
Wu Han

Postby Wu Han » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:27 pm

OOC: This is postdated

January 4317
Southern Voice is a left-leaning daily print publication distributed nation-wide, focusing predominantly on political, cultural and economic events in Shu, Han and Southern Anle

The Princess strums her Guzheng
Rare Interview: Princess Kyunghee of Dankuk on Loss, Longing and Living in the Moment
Story by Pan Heng, interview conducted 22 December 4315, story written 12 January 4316

KAIZHOU, Jiaozhi (16 November 4316) -- For years, Princess Kyunghee found herself in a state of shock, unable to deal with the tragic death of her family members at the hand of the tyrannical dictatorship of the National Conservative Party in Dankuk. As the nation wept at the news of her fathers death, in private Kyunghee couldn't allow herself to grieve. Quite simply, Ryeo Kyunghee was forced to lock her emotions away, burying them beneath routine of being a mother to three children who, by virtue of their birth, have been thrown into the international spotlight. Until now. In what is undoubtedly the most candid interview ever given by a member of the Sun Clan or House of Ryeo, the 28-year-old princess spoke exclusively with me about her father's death, her family's exile, and the future.

It's been an adjustment for the Princess, residing in the Sun Clan's traditional pavilion in Kaizhou. In Dankuk, the Princess was encouraged to live a subtle life due to the political climate, choosing to rent an apartment in Gongmangdo and bide her time reading, attending local theatre productions and visiting modern art museums. Few recognized the Princess. In Indrala, she is expected to be visual; that is, dressing in traditional clothing and behaving in a noble way. This lifestyle has gained the Princess legions of admirers. The $8,400 outfit the Princess first wore when she arrived at Wu Hán International Airport in 4307 was sold out within fourteen hours of her arrival in the country. Indeed, ever since the engagement of Sun Luhan and the Princess, admirers of the couple have been camped out of their estate, desperate to catch a glimpse of the two. "Yijun-uppa [Sun Luhan] has always told me that his first priority is to his family," the Princess told me over tea in the garden, "while at times the attention given to us by the public is overwhelming, my husband's dedication to our children, and to myself, is something I am eternally grateful for."

This dress by Kyo-Indralan designer and former-First Lady Kim Bo-young, valued at $12,000 INS was sold out within 31 hours of photos surfacing of Princess Kyunghee wearing it at a Animal Welfare Gala in Kaizhou last fall (above) in one of the rare moments she has been seen wearing something other than cheongsam since her arrival in Indrala

In spring of last year, Sun Luhan demonstrated his commitment to his new family life by divesting a massive share in the family's caizu conglomerate, the Sun Group. In 4314, the family owned a 91.92% share in the company, or nearly 179,703,600 shares. Today, the family owns approximately 60% of the company, having sold and donated nearly $108b INS in common stocks. While Sun remains the chairman of the Group, he has appointed executives from within the company to fill the board and expects them to operate autonomously.

Sun Group logo

Sitting outside with the Princess, I observed that she would occasionally glance at her watch. She must have noticed my attention and apologized: "I'm sorry, I'm expecting a call soon from my relatives in Yincheng. I don't want to miss it." I suggested then that we move inside so that she would be able to hear the telephone and she agreed. Inside the Pavillion, one feels as though they have been transported to the Imperial Palace Museum. Qin Period porcelain vases and carved lacquer furniture clutter the small, but numerous sitting rooms. Servants quickly open the rice-papered doors as the Princess and I move through the rooms, shutting them swiftly behind us. For a moment I felt as though I was the supporting character in a historical drama. Indeed, the Sun Yi Pavillion feels like a place in which time has stood still until we arrived in our destination -- a surprisingly modern room, with a plasma screen TQ television mounted against one wall and a tablet computer on the coffee table. Here, the Princess grabbed her smartphone from its charger, sat down on the couch, and motioned for me to follow.

For the second time in two decades, the House of Ryeo has been granted refuge at the Yincheng Mountain Retreat in Indrala following political persecution in Dankuk. I asked the Princess how her family members were doing. "They're well. It's hard for them to be such a great distance from their beloved country, but selfishly I am happy they are here," she chuckled, "I am most happy about the fact that Yijun (born 4315), Kai and Subin (twins born 4316) are able to meet their maternal relatives. For a while, I was uncertain that would be a possibility." The expression on her face quickly changed, as happiness in her eyes turned to pain. "Of course, my biggest regret is that my children will not be able to meet their Grandfather."

Left to right: Sun Yijun, Sun Luhan and Princess Kyunghee (Courtesy: Sun Clan)

In an announcement made two years ago, the Ministry of State Security confirmed that the Princess's father, Emperor Choesun V, had died from a heart attack during his time in hiding. The news came months after the Princess had last spoken to her family, which had been forced into hiding after Taeyang Sang-ah usurped the throne and ordered her family killed or arrested. In my last interview with the Princess four years ago, she told me that she felt guilty each day since she left her father. I asked her if she still felt guilty: "I do. I am my father's youngest daughter, and I had a duty to him -- a duty I neglected. I hope I that we can both be born again so that I can be a better daughter to him." I asked the Princess if she feels responsible for his death. She paused for a moment, looking at the wall in a pensive mood: "No. The guilt for my family's suffering, and the murder of an Emperor, lies exclusively with Taeyang-saekki and her National Conservative Party."

"Where is your husband?" I asked, feeling the need to change the atmosphere. The Princess told me that he had taken the two-year-old Sun Yijun to the family's property near Huzheng Lake. Sun Luhan had asked the Princess to come as well, but she was expecting a visit from one of her siblings. The Princess shows me a photograph of her three young children. Staring at the photo, the Princess turns to me: "I never really knew what it meant to live with a purpose. Luhan taught me how to be loved, and now I can teach my children. This is the purpose of my life."
Last edited by Wu Han on Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
(he/him)
Wu Han

Postby Liu Che/Zhuli » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:10 pm

The Jienists Return

For nearly one thousand years, the Jienist (the political entity, not the philosophy) have ruled or profoundly influenced Yingdala, everything from its governance to its culture was influenced by the Jienists. Now, after decades upon decades of political disillusionment, they have finally returned. It just so seems that the Jienists, known officially as the Jien-Democratic Party, have reappeared at an opportune moment when monarchism is making a resurgence.

Three out of the four nationally registered political parties claim monarchism of the constitutional variety as part of their respective manifestos. Of the three parties, the Jien-Democrats have the longest history of supporting monarchy, having gone through multiple dynasties, which included the Deng, Liu, Ji, Tengyuan, and Wu Clans. Bankrolled, at least initially, by the Wu Clan, former monarchs of Yingdala, monarchism remains a core part of the Jienists.

Led by Jiang Jun, a relatively young politician with a doctorate in philosophy focusing on kingship in the Jienist Classics from Tian'an and a male line member of a cadet clan of the Wu Clan, the Jienists are going back to their roots and focusing on principles that they believe will appeal to the population: education, welfare, and defense. Underlying their core principles is a desire to restore Yingdala's economic and military strength in Terra. Jienism ultimately maintains that Jienism itself is necessary for civilization and that, ultimately, the Son of Heaven rules over all. Expect this to be a primary object of the Jien-Democrats should they ever make it into government.

From now until the next elections, the Jienists will have an uphill battle against the established parties that are more in tune with contemporary Yingdala. The most they can hope for, at this point, is for a nostalgia of when the Jienists ruled, synonymous for when Yingdala "ruled Terra."
Liu Che/Zhuli

Postby Wu Han » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:53 pm

KWAN ZHIYONG'S COALITION REELECTED WITH REDUCED MAJORITY
May 11, 4320

TIAN'AN, Han: The Lotus Party-Phoenix Party Coalition narrowly beat the oppositional Jien-Democrats and Republicans by four seats (336-332). The election also handed a constitutional majority to the pro-monarchist parties (LP, PP, JDP).

(he/him)
Wu Han

Postby Liu Che/Zhuli » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:51 am

Jien-Democrats Reenter Legislature, Push for Jienist Reforms

After a relatively calm and cordial election season, the Jien-Democrats reentered the Yingdalan legislature as the smallest party. Jiang Jun, chairman of the JDP, lost the election for the Grand Chancellorship and failed to officially endorse another party, although he privately supported the Lotus Party over the Republicans in the run-off. Despite officially "losing" the election, the JDP achieved its primary goal: a monarchist supermajority.

With a constitutional majority, the JDP is expected to push the monarchists to restore the monarchy as soon as possible. Wu Guowei, patriarch of the Wu Clan and son of the previous Son of Heaven, is expected to make a claim for the throne. However, given that the Mandate of Heaven had been removed from the Wu Clan twice, a Wu Clan restoration would be an uphill battle. Despite this, a restoration would likely result in Wu Guowei being recognized with a ducal title given his family history.

Beyond a monarchical restoration, the Jienists plan to push for greater Jienist reforms, especially in education, welfare, and defense policy. A major reform Jiang has hinted at in the campaign is a reinstatement of the traditional method of bureaucratic selection through examination. Although the underdogs, the Jienists plan to work with any party who can help them truly restore Yingdala to greatness.
Liu Che/Zhuli

Postby Wu Han » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:00 am

TRANSCRIPT: The Wang Shuhui Radio Hour (JBC Radio One)
Hosted by award-winning journalist Wang Shuhui, the Wang Shuhui Radio Hour is broadcast for an hour everyday across the country on JBC's Radio One. The show's lively conversation covers everything from breaking news to ancient poetry, and features writers, politicians, journalists, artists, scientists and ordinary citizens from across Indrala and around the world. The show is generally regarded as non-partisan, although it leans slightly to the establishment.

January 13, 4320: Interview with Her Excellency, Grand Chancellor Kwan Zhiyong
WANG SHUHUI: Good morning to those of you tuning in across Indrala and around the world. My name is Wang Shuhui and the time is 09:00. For the next hour I will be guiding you through today's biggest stories. But first, I am joined by Her Excellency, Grand Chancellor Kwan Zhiyong to discuss today's political climate, and priorities for her second term in office. Grand Chancellor Kwan, it's an honour to be with you today.

KWAN ZHIYONG: Thank you for having me.

WANG SHUHUI: Congratulations on your electoral success earlier this year. Your party, the Lotus Party, was the only party with representation from before the election which actually gained seats. But we would be remiss not to notice the impressive return of the Jien-Democrats, who surged into the National Conference with 127 seats. What does the resurgence of the JDP mean for Indrala?

KWAN ZHIYONG: Well, thank you first for your congratulations. Indeed, I am very proud of the 6 new representatives joining our caucus in the National Conference. I am personally humbled by the support from the Indralan people for myself and for the party. But you're right, we cannot ignore the fact that the Jien-Democrats are back on the political map. I am proud of our Party's tradition of working across partisan lines, with those of all ideological backgrounds, in order to deliver results for hard-working Indralans. Under my leadership, the government will continue to listen to and act on the vast range of ideas and perspectives of all Indralans. This of course includes the Jien-Democrats.

WANG SHUHUI: There has already been conflict between you and Chairman Jiang's party, however, no? It seems the biggest conflict thus far has been on the topic of education, which your party tends to focus on extensively, with Minister Zi personally responding to a JDP proposal before they had representation in the National Conference.

KWAN ZHIYONG: I mean, there will be times of contention between all parties in a democracy. While we may have different ideas and policies, I believe that our parties have very similar goals. For instance, we both seek to establish the Grand Union first taught about by Jienfu-shi. As Jienfu-shi said, "In education there should be no class distinctions," and of course we agree. Now certainly Chairman Jiang's position is that policies must be consistent across all fields to increase trust. I disagree. I believe that it is the consistency of outcome which cultivates trust. We must provide a system which can meet individual needs to achieve self-cultivation en masse, rather than pursue legislative semantics. The JDP's proposals would have introduced a new classification of unregulated pre-schools into the nation which would have spawned inconsistent results and divided our students on the lines of lineage and class. This would not aid the creation of meritocratic society.

WANG SHUHUI: Let's talk a bit more about what lies ahead for Indralan society. At present, there is a constitutional majority of parties, including your own, in the National Conference which have voiced support for a restored monarchy. The Wu Clan has been supporting the JDP; have you been speaking with any noble families yourself?

KWAN ZHIYONG: I have not. I expect to hold meetings with all the stakeholders during the course of the Phoenix Party's Exploratory Committee, but until then, and in the interest of governmental transparency, I will not be meeting with any nobles.

WANG SHUHUI: Some expect that Wu Guowei is going to make a claim on the throne. Do you believe that he will possess the Mandate of Heaven?

KWAN ZHIYONG: Listen, it's really early. Let's wait and see what happens... Certainly, the Wu Clan has had its own difficulties over the years. With the death of Emperor Wu Ren, the Wu claim has been murky at times, with various individuals claiming to be the descendant of the late Emperor.

WANG SHUHUI: The last time your party explored a return to the monarchy, there were a series of terrorist attacks and protests, and in the end we remained a Republic.
What's different this time?

KWAN ZHIYONG: Excellent question, thank you. Last time, the Nationalists proposed a western-style elective monarchy, and of course this is inconsistent with Indralan tradition so naturally it was opposed. Additionally, our country is far more prosperous and stable than it was 50 years ago. This stability was signified by the foundation of the Fifth Republic at the dawn of this century. Now our country is ready to open a new chapter and finally restore the Son of Heaven to the Dragon Throne to further unify Indrala.

WANG SHUHUI: We're going to take a moment to hear a word from our sponsors and then we will be back with the Grand Chancellor. Please stay with us.

---END OF FIRST HALF---
(he/him)
Wu Han

Postby Liu Che/Zhuli » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:31 pm

Victory for Education

With education being the most important policy area, it is no surprise that Jienist supporters have been celebrating the recent passage of the JDP's education bill allowing for private, but regulated, nurseries and extending the government's obligations to educate all people to the age of 21. The goal, in line with Jienist principles, is to increase the degree of trust between the citizenry and those in government. With more time in the classroom, citizens will be able to engage even more with the Classical Works of Jienism and develop an appreciation for the thought that is the lifeblood of the Yingdalan people.

Jiang Jun, chairman of the JDP, has called the recent bill's passage "proof" that the Jienists are back, have the best interests of the Yingdalan people in mind, and can work to get things done regardless of whether they are the largest party or even in government.

With the JDP's welfare reform bill expected to pass, the party will have accomplished two of its three primary policy objectives, freeing the party to pursue its awaited goal of restoring the Yingdalan monarchy. In the meantime, the JDP will continue to pursue Jienist reforms to bring the nation in line with its roots.
Liu Che/Zhuli

Postby Liu Che/Zhuli » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:15 pm

JDP Joins Cabinet, Urges Royal Exploratory Commission Get to Work

After months of negotiations, the Jien-Democrats have joined the Lotus and Phoenix Parties to form a monarchist coalition government. Dr. Jin Ru, director of the JDP, was named Minister of Foreign Affairs and is the only representative of the JDP in Cabinet. It is expected that Minister Jin will enhance the profile of Yingdala on the international stage, especially through the World Congress.

Now that the JDP forms part of the government and holds a place on the Royal Exploratory Commission, Minister Jin has urged his coalition partners to start "exploring" the option of a monarchical restoration. He stated, "[o]bviously the JDP supports a candidate that can serve as a unifying figure. They must be tied to Yingdala's history and culture and be a representative of Jienism. Few such individuals exist. However, Wu Guowei, grandson of the most recent Son of Heaven Wu Ren, is an option. Bless him now, especially as his father, Wu Bingwen, recently ascended to Heaven. Regardless, we want a monarchy and will support whomever holds the Mandate of Heaven."

Wu Bingwen Passes at Age 115, Wu Guowen Leads Funeral and Makes Sacrifice to Heaven

Wu Guowen assisted by Jiang Jun, Chairman of the JDP and a member of the National Conference for Han Province, in performing a sacrifice at the Altar of Heaven

Wu Bingwen, former Crown Prince of Yingdala and son of the most recent Son of Heaven, died peacefully in his sleep at the age of 115. A simple man, Wu never pursued the Dragon Throne after the monarchy collapsed. Believing that his clan had lost Heaven's Mandate, the former prince was content with a life of farming. Although he may have shunned the throne, his son, Wu Guowen, is not as content.

Leading the funeral procession, the self-styled "Prince of Yingdala" was dressed in all white attire, the traditional color of mourning. A fairly elaborate affair, the entire Wu Clan gathered outside of Tian'an to bury the last crown prince in a traditional Yingdalan burial mound in the Wu Clan tombs area. After the funeral, Guowen, now patriarch of the Wu Clan, declared a three year mourning period for the family. He then traveled to Tian'an to perform a sacrifice to Shangdi at the Altar of Heaven. This is believed to be his announcement that he intends to put himself forward as a viable candidate for monarch. Whether Heaven agrees is another matter entirely.
Liu Che/Zhuli

Postby Wu Han » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:42 am

The Kaizhou Inquirer - September 4324
The Kaizhou Inquirer is northern Indrala's leading periodical, reporting on politics, culture and economics

Grand Chancellor Tours Expanded KNU Facilities, Discusses Kimlien Developments
KNU the symbol of northern economic advancement, says Kwan
Left to right: New 'Progress Pavilion' at the Kaizhou National University downtown campus; Grand Chancellor Kwan poses for a photo with students

KAIZHOU, Jiaozhi -- The Grand Chancellor toured the brand new Progress Pavilion at Kaizhou National University today where she spoke with students about the so-called 'Jiaozhi Miracle'.

In many respects the historical heartland of Indrala, much of Jiaozhi's mineral wealth has been lost to the historical Kingdoms of Messing, Gemu-Tang and so on. In addition, Jiaozhi had suffered economic neglect and stagnation for decades, which was only exacerbated by the Dalibor Financial Crisis and the subsequent Wei Wu Wei reforms of the early 4220s. A benefit to come from the Wei Wu Wei Reforms in Jiaozhi, however, was the renewed focus on STEM fields and innovation in education which, combined with Chancellor Wu's redevelopment of the National University system, has led to Jiaozhi becoming one of the largest and most innovative ICT sectors in the world.

The rapid development of Jiaozhi's economy in just less than a generation has been described as the 'Jiaozhi Miracle' and was accompanied by events such as the Indrala's transition back to democracy in the 4260s under the Lotus Party, as well as the ascension of family-owned conglomerates known as caizus in Jiaozhi and across Indrala, such as the Sun Group, TQ and Qingyi, among others.

"The 'Jiaozhi Miracle' continues to drive this province and this country bravely into a high-tech future," the Grand Chancellor remarked to students at KNU today. "Every day, researchers and innovators in Jiaozhi make breakthroughs in tech, medicine and engineering which unleash the tiger-spirit of our national economy."

The Grand Chancellor was impressed by the new Progress Pavilion, which will house part of KNU's College of Engineering (CE), with a particular focus on the development of its specialisations, namely Environmental Design, Industrial and Product Design, as well as Digital Design. Speaking to reporters from within the building's atrium, the Grand Chancellor said that, "Indralan skills, expertise and products are being desired around the world like never before whether its high-speed rail in Valruzia, international financial services in the wake of the Dalibor Crisis, or even the rise of YingPop across Dovani. This building is yet another example of Indralan prowess in all fields."

The Grand Chancellor was asked to comment on the recent decision undertaken by the King of Kimlien, Wáng Ping Ke, to allow Indralans to immigrate to and work in Kimlien once again, following a travel ban imposed during the height of the Wolfshiem Plague:
It is fantastic that His Majesty has repealed this unfortunate but understandable decision. Of course, also recognizing our close cultural ties, we are happy to extend a hand of fellowship to all former Imperial colonies and celebrate our shared history. We hope that this resumption of relations will lead to greater cooperation and commercial opportunities in the future. As I have often said, it is my belief that free trade frees people. As such, I expect that renewed Indralan investment in Kimlien will not only help the people of that country, but of the entire continent.

Having been accused by the Republicans of being biased to the North in the past, the Lotus Party in recent decades has spent most of its time campaigning in the South. However, it can be expected that the Grand Chancellor's florid comments about Jiaozhi will not go unnoticed. Historical sentiments against the monarchy, and by extension the central government in Tian'an caused massive resentment toward the southern-dominated establishment. This culminated in the foundation of the sovereigntist-leaning Jiaozhi Alliance in 4251, which merged with multiple other groups in 4255 to become the nationally-focused Lotus Party. These tensions have been reflaring in recent years, as Southern Anle and Shu now face recession and stagnation and many in Han feel threatened by the growing prominence of Jiaozhi.

KNU Promotional Video
(he/him)
Wu Han

Postby Wu Han » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:08 pm

KWAN ZHIYONG'S COALITION RE-ELECTED, MONARCHIST MAJORITY GROWS
May 14, 4324

TIAN'AN, Han: Grand Chancellor Kwan Zhiyong will become the longest-serving democratically-elected head of state and government in nearly 100 years following the 4325 General Election. The Grand Chancellor's Lotus Party gained 3 seats, while its coalition partner, the Phoenix Party lost 3. The biggest shift was 31 seats from the Republicans to the Jien-Democrats, strengthening the monarchist constitutional majority.
Last edited by Wu Han on Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(he/him)
Wu Han

PreviousNext

Return to National News