Corsica

Anything that is not directly related to the game or its community.

Corsica

Postby Hrafn » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:09 pm

Macron says he won't recognize Corsican as an offical language. So much for multiculturalism and tolerance.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-42982154

I think Corsica should become independent. What do you think?
Hrafn

Re: Corsica

Postby Elf » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:07 pm

Ah.. France... in all of its arrogance and absurdity. Their French revolution values are nothing short of good ol "civic" nationalist chauvinism. Everyone has to speak the same language and be educated into the same way of thinking. That's the "tolerant" model of governing that came out of the orgy of class hatred and slaughter of poor "unenlightened" farmers that was the French revolution. :roll:

Oh, and ofc Corsica should be independent, along with Brittany, Basque country and possibly Occitania and Burgundy as well. Cheers to tolerance and diversity! :mrgreen:
Shiny happy people holding hands
Shiny happy people laughing
Elf

Postby Hrafn » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:12 pm

It would be really cool if we could create a sort of confederacy of small and seceded states founded on the ideals of decentralization and regional identity. Don't know how realistic it is, but it would be the only way to seriously challenge the big centralized states. Isolated independence movements can easily be suppressed, but not so easily when they coordinate themselves. It could include all those small eastern european states that don't want to be gobbled up by Russia, and also Greenland, Iceland and the Faroe Islands. Basically an EU without the EU, that can tell Russia, the EU and NATO to f*** off. (Okay, inuits aren't europeans, but I like them anyway).
Hrafn

Postby Reddy » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:36 pm

I think they are better off staying in. Unlike Catalonia, they are net beneficiaries (economically) from belonging to the French Republic. They appear to have devolution on education so that gives them an opportunity to protect their language and culture.

Hrafn wrote:It would be really cool if we could create a sort of confederacy of small and seceded states. Don't know how realistic it is, but it would be the only way to seriously challenge the big centralized states. Isolated independence movements can easily be suppressed, but not so easily when they coordinate themselves. It could include all those small eastern european states that don't want to be gobbled up by Russia, and also Greenland, Iceland and the Faroe Islands. Basically an EU without the EU, that can tell Russia, the EU and NATO to f*** off. (Okay, inuits aren't europeans, but I like them anyway).

You mean like nternational orgs for separatist movements? I remember there's a global one but right now I can only recall the OEAS.
To live outside the law, you must be honest.
Reddy

Postby Kubrick » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:13 am

An independent Corsica would not be able to sustain itself. So unless you wish a life of poverty and hunger onto the lives of all Corsicans they'll have to make do and find other means to get their language recognized.
"see yah i think kubs is right" ~Zanz

"I’m pretty sure your buddy Kubrick was upset he couldn’t just resort to his old ways" ~Auditorii

"You can blame Polites and Kubrick for that nightmare" ~Doc
Kubrick

Postby Hrafn » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:50 am

Kubrick wrote:An independent Corsica would not be able to sustain itself. So unless you wish a life of poverty and hunger onto the lives of all Corsicans they'll have to make do and find other means to get their language recognized.

That's ridiculous. There are lots of tiny Island nations with tiny populations that have no problem sustaining themselves. There is nothing innate about Corsica that makes it unable to have a sustainable economy.
Hrafn

Postby SlavaD » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:04 am

I don't think the solution is for Europe to rip itself apart into tiny statelets. :)

As for Macron... his reckoning will come. Le Pen will be back yet again.
SlavaD

Postby Elf » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:11 am

SlavaD wrote:I don't think the solution is for Europe to rip itself apart into tiny statelets. :)

As for Macron... his reckoning will come. Le Pen will be back yet again.
Why not? Is more democracy a problem?

Yeh - sadly no moderate/libertarian nationalists have any chance thanks to the French electoral system, with FPTP and two rounds, that they invented to make sure the FN would never get any power. Or so they thought. :roll:
Shiny happy people laughing
Elf

Postby SlavaD » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:11 am

I'm all for more democracy - but the tricky issue with these sorts of questions is that everyone is all for "more democracy" in the form of granting independence to various peoples when its not happening in their own country.

I think federal systems that are negotiated transparently are the best way to go. And even better, giving people dignity and opportunity in their own countries through sound economic policies (not nonsense right-wing redistribution of wealth from the bottom to the top) will iron out these issues in the long term. :)
SlavaD

Return to Off-topic