Hulstria and Gao-Soto

National news threads that host the key national news outlets for each of the game’s countries.

Re: The Hulstrian Chronicle - Die Hulstrian Chronik

Postby Cirith » Mon May 28, 2018 8:59 pm

viewtopic.php?p=134177#p134177

Imperial Diet Set to Restore Recognition of Hulstria-Mikuni
White Rose of the Holy Luthori Empire

Player since 2700!

Parti Conservateur Royaliste in the Kingdom of Lourenne until 3000
Parti Conservateur Royaliste of the Royaume de Kanjor until 4400
Cirith

Postby RedReaper » Thu May 31, 2018 9:23 am

Election Shock!
Republican Majority Collapses as Strenz Wins Presidency Amidst Bundestag Victory for the Right

New Bundespräsident Strenz Celebrates at Centre Party Headquarters

A decade of Republican political dominance was thoroughly destroyed today as Tobias Strenz became Federal President, whilst the centre-right Conservative Union skyrockets to become largest party with 131 seats, closely followed by the nationalist National Renewal party at 117. The Republican Party lost 452 seats in a matter of hours, dropping to 5th largest party behind Strenz's Centrists and new left rivals the Friendship Party. The VRU came in last, with 35 seats.

There was jubilation in the Centre Party's headquarters today as news of Strenz's win broke. However now starts the important matter of coalition forming, with no clear single party winning a majority of the votes in the Bundestag. With the Conservative Union and VRU supporting Strenz's election win, it is likely these two parties along with the Centrists will be involved in any coalition discussions, although the National Renewal party may also have a part to play.

As for the opposition, the Republican Party has been thoroughly defeated, with a vote of no confidence for former President Freya Reimann already in the works. The Friendship Party seems to be set as the future official opposition, unless National Renewal cannot secure a place in the coalition. Whether the Republican Party will support the new Opposition, or seek a new political path, only time will tell.

Jochen Ernst, Political Correspondent
RedReaper

Postby Martinulus » Thu May 31, 2018 4:54 pm

HDV returns to active politics; calls for revival of values and traditions in new republic

Clemens Heumayr, the new HDV leader, resurrected the old "freedom with values" approach of his party

Kien, Hulstria - The Hosian Democratic Alliance reformed today at a meeting at Kien, citing the need for a centrist Hosian Democratic and Septembrist politics in the new republican era. New leader, Clemens Heumayr, said the Hosian Democrats were agnostic on the issue of the republic, but argued fiercely that politics in the Federal Republic needed "a good dose of Septembrist inspiration, a good dose of good old good government; a good dose of HDV." Among others, the party argues a restoration of the parliamentary system, claiming that the current governing situation shows the incompatibility of the majoritarian logic of presidentialism with the multi-party system and coalition traditions of the nation. "The high horse on which some to the right of the Diet President are getting is symptomatic of why we need to return to the more consensual, less winner-takes-all ways of parliamentarism," said Heumayr.

Having been founded during the Greater Hulstria era, the HDV is by far the oldest extant party in Hulstria and Gao-Soto. Influential under the First and Second United Imperial Crownlands, the Hosian Democrats have always been seen as a centrist and moderate force for good government and the principal heirs of the Septembrist tradition. Heumayr, a lawyer from Mitrania, dusted off another of the party's historic narratives by claiming that the party will stand for "freedom with values". "The problem with this over-polarised left versus right dynamic is that both ends of it end up divorcing our freedom from our values. We have always known that it takes both to do right by all the peoples of this land, combining care for the disadvantaged with freedoms for our citizens and local communities. And by entering the debate at this crucial, polarised time, that is what we shall do. We shall bring sensible politics back to the overheated halls of the Bundestag - this is our promise to Hulstria and Gao-Soto."
Hosianisch-Demokratisches Verbund - Hulstria and Gao-Soto

Notable previous parties:
Folkepartiet (People's Party) - Kazulia
Martinulus

Postby Martinulus » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:16 am

Geraniengau changes legal name in bid to outwit noble titles ban

Lothar von Geraniengau zu Hortensiengau denied he wanted to stick it to the man with his name change to "Lothar Vizegraf-von Geraniengau", which means it must be true

Haus zu Geraniengau, Budenlar - Prominent aristocrat, Lothar von Geraniengau zu Hortensiengau, has filed a legal name change to "Lothar Vizegraf-von Geraniengau" in what many see as an expression of discontent at the impending ban on using noble titles. Earlier, the heir of Theophilus von Geraniengau, a hero of the Second September Revolution with a lineage going back to the Hulstrian War of Independence, had petitioned the Diet not to ban the use of royal titles, likening the measure to "banning the use of his name", since the no more than honorary titles had been interwoven with the families of nobles for so long. The man himself denies that this was the case: "This name change is really just a technicality. I leave its connection to recent events up to your judgment."

The flamboyant and eccentric aristocrat is said to have great trouble with the anti-noble sentiments in the Diet, which would ban the use of noble titles which have been extant since the Hulstrian War of Independence, including those of the heroes of both September Revolutions. In reality, nobility has rarely carried political power or any extraordinary title to property. The HDV, which Geraniengau is a member of, supports his bid but does not consider it a priority. HDV Leader, Clemens Heumayr: "Obviously it is tragic that families like the Counts Michels, the Burgraves Goddestreu and the Viscounts Geraniengau and Fukuyama, whose members have fought in both September Revolutions and served in many political capacities dedicating themselves to public service, will be robbed of their styles. The more tragic for Viscount Geraniengau, who I know is very proud of his family connection to our nation's earliest history. We've got better things to argue about than this, but if it were up to me, we'd at least be allowing these men and women the use of their titles again. Banning them is entirely disproportionate."

Not all nobles will follow Geraniengau's protest. Severin Goddestreu, the Bürggraf Goddestreu and Hupold Michels, the Graf Michels, released a joint statement given by the former, saying they were sad to lose use of their titles but that they hadn't been in the family for that long. After all, their families were part of what could be called the Septembrist nobility, an altogether more civilian and patrician rather than aristocratic nobility who were generally recognised for their services during the First and Second September Revolutions. "I, for one, am proud of the Goddestreu name and to count Sebastian, Johannes, Emmanuel and Florian Goddestreu among my ancestors. But in the end, that strange sensation that people laugh when you make a serious point -" here the audience laughed at this display of the Goddestreu wit - "is more than enough of a mark of ancestry for me and my family. Which doesn't mean I would not, ideally, like the use of the title back, if only because it's great to break the ice at parties."

Martinulus

Postby Maxington » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:22 am

"The future of the Nation is in the children's school bags" ~ Dr. Eric Williams
President of the Trond Henrichsen Institute for International Affairs.
Maxington

Postby Martinulus » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:49 am

Could government collapse herald HDV spearheading return to dual monarchy?
Heumayr: "It's parliamentarism that's the solution. Whether the dual monarchy should also return is a matter for discussion."

HDV Leader Clemens Heumayr MdB has a lot to consider as calls within the HDV to spearhead return to dual monarchy increase

Labsburg, Budenlar - Since the deadlock over President Strenz facing a hostile Bundestag, political tensions have stretched the Republican Constitution to breaking point. As recriminations between left and right have led to the paralysis of a great majority of the parties elected to the Bundestag as well as the presidential administration, supporters of the old parliamentary and monarchical constitutions are increasingly calling for political change. This affects the HDV, the ancient former natural party of government, more than others - it is no secret that the Hosian Democrats are avid Septembrists and supporters of the arrangements of the Basic Law. For most, that entails support of a dual monarchy representing the stake of both Hulstria and Gao-Soto in the nation.

Dixit Lothar von Geraniengau, an avid supporter of the old ways: "Quite frankly, this entire presidential thing has proven a bit of a letdown. The entire last term was full of sound and fury, but when it came to it, the differences proved irreconcileable amidst all the shouting. It's a shame we ditched our democratic monarchical tradition for that sort of thing." It is thought that Geraniengau, who comes from a family of avid Rothingrenists, is pushing behind the scenes for a return to the Basic Law dual monarchy under the Houses of Rothingren-Traugott-Okatori and Kurosawa, which were retained as noble families during the brief interlude of Yukio-Labsburg rule. The claimants of both houses were unavailable for comment, citing that it was simply not up to them.

All this serves as a bit of dilemma for HDV Leader Clemens Heumayr. The leader of the Hosian Democrats has been an avid supporter of parliamentarism, but has largely kept agnostic over the republican system to avoid branding the HDV as a solely monarchist party, which might have isolated the party. Instead, he emphasised the diversity of views within the party on the issue, stating he felt it improper to take a stand. Speaking to the Chronicle, he stuck to his guns on this. "It's true many people in our party want the return of the dual monarchy," he admitted. "But the first thing this crisis shows is that parliamentarism is the solution. The question of the head of state and whether the dual monarchy should also return is matter for discussion. Speaking for myself, I think there is a case to combine an elected head of state with our proud traditions in the form of the dual head of state represented by a governor-general. But that's my opinion and subject to discussion within and outside the party."

Martinulus

Postby Martinulus » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:03 pm

HDV: Reinstatement of Basic Law and Dual Monarchy to be offered in referendum

In preparation for the diminished role of the head of state envisioned by the party, the HDV nominated Lothar von Geraniengau for the presidency

Labsburg, Budenlar - In its election manifesto for the anticipated snap elections to the Federal Diet and the Presidency following the total collapse of the republican party system, the Hosian Democratic Alliance has pledged the restoration of the Basic Law of 4310, reverting the country to its Septembrist institutional arrangements. However, honouring its agnostic stance on the Federal Republic's existence so far, party leader Clemens Heumayr said the party would offer a referendum for the ratification of the Basic Law's reinstatement in the new Federal Diet period, to be held during the first year of the new term. "Ultimately, it is up to the people to decide," said Heumayr. "While we recognise the public outcry for the return of the dual monarchy and other cherished Septembrist institutions of government, we believe that outcry is not enough - there must be a vote."

The party, which is widely tipped to win the upcoming elections as it is ("unfortunately", according to Heumayr, who'd rather have had competition) the only major organised political force left in the country, has been adamant in its manifesto that whatever the outcome of the referendum on the Dual Monarchy, the executive presidency would be abolished. "It's proven not to fit into our political culture and therefore it didn't work," Heumayr said. "It was a nice experiment, but we should move on." In preparation for this change, which would see the re-establishment of the Staatsministerium, the HDV have adopted prominent aristocrat Lothar von Geraniengau as their presidential candidate. Geraniengau, an avid Rothingrenist, said after much pushing from this newspaper that he would take the republican oath of office without reservation, especially should the referendum go against the monarchy. Should the opposite happen, the former Viscount said "it would be my honour to become the first to hold the re-established office of Governor-General."

Above all, said Heumayr, the overriding aim of the HDV would be to bring stability to the nation and its constitution. "We're still not getting out of the shadow of the Second September Revolution and the war that raged on our soil," he said. "And the reason is that it's far too common for our government to collapse or be changed radically only for people to try something new that does not work. What we propose is based on what has worked for centuries in this nation, and I shall happily defend it to the people to usher in a new age of stability, recovery and ultimately growth."

Martinulus

Postby Martinulus » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:52 am

Overwhelming victory for Hosian Democrats

Clemens Heumayr, party leader, receives the congratulations of his fellow HDV bigwhigs

Kien, Hulstria - the 4405 elections held as a result of the collapse of the republican party system have resulted in an overwhelming triumph for the HDV as Lothar von Geraniengau takes the Presidency and the overwhelming two-thirds majority of seats in the Bundestag was allocated to the HDV (OOC: because a one-party election is pretty unrealistic, I am RPing this as a dominant-party victory instead), allowing the party the necessary margin to implement its ambitions to restore the parliamentary system and pursue a referendum on the reinstatement of the 4310 Basic Law and the Dual Monarchy. Speaking at his party's election night celebrations, leader Clemens Heumayr promised that stability and reconstruction would be at the top of the party's agenda: "I would like to thank the people of Hulstria and Gao-Soto for their confidence tonight, and I say this: I have every intention of making sure that the constitutional settlement is stable so we can stop experimenting and get back down to the real work of rebuilding our country."

President-elect Geraniengau said he fully expected to be the last to hold the office before the referendum. "At the very least if it were up to me," said the frank aristocrat. "The concept of an executive presidency simply doesn't work in this country, as we have seen. I'm glad we'll be putting an end to that - Clemens is far better at such things as holding executive power than myself. And if the people consent, I hope we will see the return of the dual monarchy, ushering a new factor for stability that frankly, this country really needs."

Martinulus

Postby Martinulus » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:17 am

74% of voters approve reinstatement of 4310 Basic Law

(OOC Note: percentage based on turnout in elections)

Following today's referendum vote, the way is open to the return of the dual monarchy

Labsburg, Budenlar - Voters across the Crownlands have voted for the proposed return of the 4310 Basic Law, including the dual monarchy, clearing the way for President Geraniengau to sign the Basic Law Reinstatement Act and abdicate his office as head of state to the two Emperors drawn from the House of Rothingren-Traugott-Okatori and the Kurosawa Clan, while himself becoming Governor-General. The long-anticipated result of today heralds a return to the avowedly Septembrist institutions of government established after the Second September Revolution that ended the segregationist Nimitz regime in 4318, with many hoping for a return to the stability and prosperity that marked the era of the First United Imperial Crownlands between the 3416 and 3789.

Although President Geraniengau reportedly agreed to stay neutral at the urging of HDV Leader Clemens Heumayr, the long-standing Rothingrenist could not contain his elation on the night of the result. "I've kept quiet because the question was put to the people, not to me, and I would have to execute their wishes either way," said the former viscount. "But I am glad they have chosen for the promise of stability that was offered by the Basic Law and returned Hulstria and Gao-Soto to its natural system of government and, dare I say, validated its rightful monarchs with popular support once more. I shall be honoured to serve as the first Governor-General."

According to the official figures, which independent observers have certified as resulting from a fair electoral process, 74% of the electorate voted in favour of reinstating the Basic Law. According to an exit poll conducted by the Kronländer Rundfunk Stiftung / Hozo Zaidan Mikuni, the public broadcaster, those who voted against were divided between remaining Republicans and Labsburgists. Frauke Scholl, the leader of the No campaign, graciously admitted defeat: "This is not what we would have chosen, but I congratulate the Yes camp for its resounding victory tonight." The yes campaign, led by a number of cross-party figures including HDV leader Heumayr, campaigned heavily on the basis of the perception of 3416-3789 as a golden age in the history of the Crownlands and on sentiment against the republican constitution, which had led to the collapse of government.

Analysts believe that this is the primary reason for the victory of the Yes camp. "The Communist takeover, then the Labsburg reinstatement, then the Republic, each heralded by a collapse, have tired people," said political commentator Robert Yoshiyama, political editor of the Chronicle. "The republican system has been discredited by what is now perceived as flaws in its constitution, and the heavily Septembrist Yes campaign has appealed well to a yearning for democracy, prosperity and above all stability that they argued existed during the period of the Basic Law. They made the case that the dual monarchy could unite this tired nation better than any other institution, and that case was accepted."

Speaking on election night, the HDV's Clemens Heumayr reacted magnanimously, stating he wanted the new constitution to work for all. "That was the point of the whole exercise. I take this as an incentive to get to work quickly on passing the Basic Law Reinstatement, while we get down to the real business of government: making sure this nation gets on the up again."

Meanwhile, the President's Office confirmed that it had certified the rightful holders of the Crowns of Hulstria and Gao-Soto, whose families were allowed to remain in the Crownlands after their forced abdication to the Yukio-Labsburg restoration. For Hulstria, the ageing son of the deposed Kaiser Heinrich IV will reign as Otto IV, while the grandson of Emperor Morihito, Kurosawa Yoshinaga, was certified to be the heir to Gao-Soto. The expectation is that the bill will arrive at the President's desk by February next year, and will enter into force then.

Martinulus

Postby Martinulus » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:27 am

Government launches ambitious Economic Agenda
August 4405

Finance Minister Severin Goddestreu on his way to the Diet, where he presented the first part of his long-term plan for economic reforms

Labsburg, Budenlar - the government has announced ambitious plans to revitalise Hulstria and Gao-Soto's economy. Today, Finance Minister Severin Goddestreu introduced to the Diet the first two measures to be taken by the government to resuscitate economic growth in the Crownlands. In a statement given to the press, Herr Goddestreu said the rationale behind the reforms was to "take advantage of the strengths of the Crownlander economy to set us in the direction of the prosperity enjoyed during the golden years of our history, when they made us a major economic player in North Dovani. Today's bills are just the first of many necessary restructuring measures, some of them painful, but I am counting on the energy and spirit of our fellow citizens to see us through this first period and get our economy growing again."

The Minister's words were interpreted by many as a warning that the government would have to make cuts to public services and particularly to nationalised enterprises to fund its ambitions. At present, the Crownlander public sector is among the largest in the world, with the overwhelming amount of the economy being owned by the state, which in addition imposes very restrictive policies on foreign employment and investment. In documents released by the Finance Ministry today, the government confirmed that "major restructuring of the public finances would be necessary to make our economy competitive" and that the surpluses run during the last budget's time in force would only partially be able to fund the transition.

The current package before the Diet contains measures to re-establish the longstanding partnership model in the economy as the basis for economic growth and start the privatisation of non-essential state-owned companies. It also implements the tax reforms, which are expected to be followed by a budget readjustment in the same fiscal year.

A summary of the plans follows below:
Major strategic aims
- the government aims to mobilise a tripartite partnership between trade unions, businesses and the government to ensure an equitable execution of the economic strategy for all stakeholders. In particular, the government will leave large parts of negotiating labour conditions to the social partners.
- the government aims to attract investment by promoting the high quality and relatively low cost (at the moment) of Crownlander labour. By investing in education and technology, the government aims to revitalise technology and science in the Crownlands in particular to create a knowledge economy.
- the government aims to promote sectors of historic importance in the Crownlands, such as tourism, through targetted campaigns.
- the government aims to restructure taxation and the public finances to ensure an equitable tax on businesses and workers, funded by an increase in indirect taxation. Cuts to income tax are necessary both to improve the spending power of all citizens and in particular to stop brain drain of educated and talented citizens to other countries.
- the government aims to jumpstart private initiative by relaxing regulations on private businesses and privatising non-vital public enterprises to return the majority of the economy to private hands.

Economic partnership
- reintroduction of Schneeberg (OOC: Rhineland model) model bargaining between government, employers and the unions in the areas of salary caps and working conditions, urging the social partners to observe a measure of wage restraint to keep inflation under control.

An attractive investment climate
- Opening up the markets to foreign employment and investment. Foreign investment will be introduced only after the major privatisation of non-essential companies will be completed.
- Active pursuit of free trade deals with longstanding allies such as the Luthori Commonwealth, Kazulmark and Indrala will be pursued.
- Wage restraint will be urged of employers and unions in the economic partnership to keep growth high and inflation low, in exchange for greater influence over working conditions. The government believes that spending power will remain on par through the restructuring of the tax system and the introduction of benefits.
- Corporation tax to be cut in half in order to facilitate the growth of business.
- Investment will be made into the national transport infrastructure in cooperation with local governments.
- The currency exchange rate will be allowed to fluctuate; the Crownlander Central Bank will be granted further independence to ensure the professional conduct of monetary policy.

Jumpstarting the private sector
- the privatisation of all non-essential public industries, so that the majority of the economy is in private hands again. The lion's share of this operation is to occur before the planned relaxation of foreign investment regulations.
- the Kronlander Bundesbahn (Crownlander Federal Railways), the public media and the power grid will not be privatised. Adjustments will be made to put these companies at arms-length from the state while still maintaining ownership of all shares.
- the energy companies, energy generation and the post office will all be privatised; regulations will be reviewed in the telephone sector.
- the healthcare sector will be privatised, with a mandatory basic insurance policy for all citizens including the most essential healthcare. The government shall regulate that hospitals and health insurance companies, though private, shall be run on a non-profit basis.
- the abolition of mandatory Democratic Workers' Councils running all businesses, to be replaced by a mandatory representation of stakeholders on the boards of all corporations above a certain size.
- Eminent domain will be abolished following a transition period during which an independent tribunal will determine compensation for seizure of private property in the pursuit of vital infrastructural projects.

Improving the quality and attractiveness of labour; investing in skills
- the government will inject significant investment into the education budget and the science and technology budget to attract technological startups.
- the government will reintroduce universal student grants to promote the pursuit of higher education, increasing the education level of the workforce in line with this ambition.

Strengthening our historical sectors
- The government will end farm size regulations and look into easing regulations to support our farmers.
- The government will invest to promote tourism, promoting city trips, historical sights and our mountain resorts in particular, in conjunction with local governments.
- To this end, the government will keep investing in preserving our national heritage, and will end the forest clearance policy to protect the natural heritage of our nation.
- The government will seek the return of originally Crownlander companies such as the Tenkoun Corporation to Hulstria and Gao-Soto by creating the requisite conditions.
- To promote tourism and stimulate the development of vital infrastructure, the government will look into the possibility of hosting a major international event such as the Winter Olympics.

Restructuring the public finances
- To increase spending power, the government will abolish the lower rate of income tax.
- To combat brain drain, the government will restructure the top rates of income tax.
- The government will simplify the income tax system to cut administrative costs and make work more attractive and profitable.
- The government will end punitive taxation on corporations.
- There will be a shift from direct taxation to indirect taxation.
- The government is committed to a balanced budget. Recognising the size of the needed investment, however, the government commits to use the reserves accumulated during the years the government ran a surplus to compensate any necessary deficit for the first 4 years.
- Costly public projects such as the nuclear arms programme and the space programme will be discontinued and their funds reallocated. The government is of the opinion that the nation can ill-afford such standing prestige projects.
- The retirement age shall be raised to 65 to keep the pension system sustainable; the ban on private pensions shall be lifted, with private plans being encouraged.

Investor's confidence is expected to rise following the announced measures. Unions and employers say they are still studying the proposals, but that "impressions in general are positive".

Martinulus

PreviousNext

Return to National News