Vanuku

National news threads that host the key national news outlets for each of the game’s countries.

Re: Wrntu Wrnuke! (Forwards Vanuku!)

Postby Kubrick » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:04 pm

BREAKING: King announces abdication
Monarch to abdicate after filing Motion of No Confidence.

King Juhn X (right) visibly upset in the hall of the Grand Council.

February 4419 - King Juhn has submitted a Motion of No Confidence in parliament today, citing his wish for the war to be ended. The monarch has called upon the Prefect Duke Zhtál to resign and let a new cabinet end the war. After the nuclear strike global relations of the Kingdom of Vanuku have detoriated significantly, with the Majatran giant now standing all but alone. Opposition Leader Jlekai Nasir has attempted to stabilize some of these relations but is until now unsuccessful in his efforts. The King was heavily criticized for not utilizing his Royal Veto, with many foreign offices stating he endorsed the nuclear attack. King Juhn defended himself fiercely while admitting it was a mistake to not veto the attack. Now however the King seems to have lost faith in his own rule. With the Abdication Act he has stated that if the MoNC passes he will abdicate as monarch and hand over the reigns of the Kingdom to his eldest daughter Archduchess Mrjmai. The twenty-one year old will be the first female monarch of Vanuku. The King has expressed that he firmly believes his daughter can turn the "dark tide" of Vanuku.

At Wrntu Wrnuke we thank the King for his service. A vigilant monarch with principles, an honest man who takes after his father in the best ways. To us he is one of the finest monarchs our nation has seen. Long live the King, long live our Queen.
"see yah i think kubs is right" ~Zanz

"I’m pretty sure your buddy Kubrick was upset he couldn’t just resort to his old ways" ~Auditorii

"You can blame Polites and Kubrick for that nightmare" ~Doc
Kubrick

Postby Sisyphus » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:00 am

Nuclear Carrier Fleets On Collision Course
Jelbania Conflict Looks Set to Spark Catastrophic International Crisis As Political Fall Out Of Nuclear Strike Draws In More Nations

Trouble on the Horizon - three Vanukean fleets have taken up position to block approaching naval vessels.

August 4419 - After military operations in Jelbania were paralysed by the lava flows and smoke plumes following the eruption of the volcano Khan Tanhri, attentions have turns to the potential catastrophic storm brewing at sea.

Vanuku has now deployed three carrier strike groups in a blocking formation to prevent 'hostile' navies from approaching the territorial waters of Jelbania or Deltaria and to blockade Deltarian naval and commercial shipping. All three fleets are believed to be accompanied by strategic nuclear ballistic submarines.

In the meantime, Istalia has moved its Third Strategic Naval Group in sight of Jelbanian territorial water, while the Istalian First Aeronaval Group has taken up a position in the Majatran basin. Again the fleet is accompanied by nuclear ballistic submarines.

On top of this, the Northern Council is currently merging naval task forces and battle groups before steaming towards the war zone with the intention of deploying a peace force to secure ground-zero, the location in south west Jelbania where the Vanukean tactical nuclear strike took place. It is believed that The Northern Council battle group will be accompanied by its own nuclear submarines.

The Vanukean Fourth Fleet has left its former base at the Bozo River facility in Kalistan and has now taken up a holding position in the Anantonese Ocean within striking distance of Dovani. A nuclear submarine is also believed to be patrolling the area in a 'deep dive' deployment.

The decision to ramp up the tensions follows Prefect Duke Brnó Zhtál's refusal to resign after King Juhn X submitted a motion of no confidence in him and despite six senior cabinet members quitting their posts.

In a bellicose speech to the Grand Council, the Duke said he would continue to prosecute the war in any way he and his new cabinet saw fit. He said: "Should we just give up or waste our military advantage? Of course not. We must be bold, stick to our guns and take all action necessary to achieve victory - total victory against Deltaria.

"As for the international ramifications, if I were a gambling man I would say the Northern Council does not have the guts to wage war against us and they are simply posturing and looking for weaknesses. So, if we press forcefully with the war against Deltaria we will see them crumble in the face of our resolve - and when faced with our mighty carrier fleets, they will quickly hurry back to their frozen northern ports.

Mr Speaker, that is exactly what I intend to do - press on using whatever means necessary at my disposal to achieve victory. So, now is not the time for recriminations - it is time to work together to achieve what we set out to achieve."
Sisyphus

Postby Sisyphus » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:27 pm

Prefect Zhtál may soon be forced out of office.

Breaking News... The Vanukean Grand Council look likely to oust the Prefect, Duke Brnó Zhtál, in a Vote of No Confidence after he refused to stand down over nuclear missile strike crisis and attempts to escalate the war.

The Prefect's Cousin, Viscount Noh Zhtál, and Opposition Leader Jlekai Nasir have apparently joined forces to remove the Duke and his supporters and to look for a peaceful way forward to resolve the conflict.

After refusing to resign, Duke Zhtál had said he would use all means possible to wage war with Deltaria and any other hostile forces heading towards Vanuku.

More to Follow...
Sisyphus

Postby colonelvesica » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:58 pm

The Last of his Name
colonelvesica

Postby Axxell » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:15 am

Alleanza Radicale (Radical Alliance) - Istalia (Active)
Axxell

Postby Maxington » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:43 pm

"The future of the Nation is in the children's school bags" ~ Dr. Eric Williams
President of the Trond Henrichsen Institute for International Affairs.
Maxington

Postby Kubrick » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:21 am

OOC: first article is from a few months into the future.

Queen Mrjmai ascends the throne
Twenty-two year old youngest ever monarch, first female monarch.

The official state portrait of Queen Mrjmai Banmek-Sntazed. The young monarch is said to be much like her grandfather.

January 4421 - Thirty years ago, on January 1st 4391, King Wrntukai V heralded the start of a new constitutional era of the Kingdom of Vanuku. Almost twenty-seven years ago, in August 4394, King Juhn X inherited the throne after a two year interregnum following the sudden death of Vanuku's most celebrated monarch. Today however the eyes were not on the grave of the Casual King, nor were they on the Silent King. Today the eyes were on Vanuku's first female monarch: Queen Mrjmai. The twenty-two year old is also the youngest monarch Vanuku has ever seen, the previous record being held by Sovereign Prince Arend-Heijtri who inherited the throne at age twenty-seven. Medieval records have implicated child rulers yet Jelbic record keeping was simply non-existant during Vanuku's medieval history. Looking purely factual Queen Mrjmai is the youngest sovereign Vanuku has ever seen.

Queen Mrjmai, who has been Archduchess since her infancy, studied biology in Wiel before serving ten months in the Armed Forces as a science officer in the Naval Forces. It has been a long tradition for Vanukean sovereigns to serve in the Armed Forces and the Queen has been reported she wanted to "follow those footsteps and contribute to the war effort". Aside from her studies and short military service she already has a reputation as a fierce philantropist, having been previously forbidden to travel to wartorn Jelbania by her father on advice of the SSA due to security risks.

The Queen is heralded as a bright, rational and no-nonsense monarch who despite her age seems as wise as her grandfather was. Insiders have hinted she feels most at home in the game of politics and would have been a politician if not for her royal duties. In a speech at her coronation she said that the current times are not for celebrating. "The Atomic Era has long been upon our world. Yet the Apocalyptic Era has now begun. To my greatest shame and regret it was our nation that acted as the cataclyst to this tragedy. My Lord Father made a terrible mistake, and his mistake is the reason why I now bear the burden of the throne. Under normal circumstances a coronation is a reason for great celebration in our nation. Yet not today, our nation still stands on the brink of war with the well-meaning but tactless Northern Council invading the Majatran Sea, with our good Istalian allies placing themselves between the Northerners and their fellow Majatrans. Yet it is not up to them to change the fate of this conflict. It is the duty of Vanuku to take responsibility for the mistakes it has made, together with Deltaria we should rise from this as Majatran brothers and sisters, not as bitter enemies. As Queen of all Vanukeans, at home and abroad, it will be my mission to bring peace to all Majatra. It will be my wish that all foreign military powers not home in Majatra sail home so that the powder keg of Terra can finally find true peace."

While some critics have lambasted the speech as too political others have complimented the fresh Queen for her assertive leadership and bravery towards the global community. Prefect Jlekai Nasir, who now serves his third term after the former King ousted Duke Zhtál, stated he was immensely pleased with the Queen's speech. "She will be a true figurehead of this nation, she has the integrity and honesty of her father and the strong will and wisdom of her grandfather. The words she spoke are the truth: this conflict is ours to solve, not those of the Northern powers. We must bear the burden and find peace and balance."

Jlekai Nasir returns for third term: presents plan to Deltaria
Former Prefect replaces Duke Zhtál, calls for "total peace".

Prefect Jlekai Nasir at his 'first' cabinet meeting, the Prefect wishes for "immediate and total peace".

November 4420 - All Vanukean combat operations have been put on hold per a direct order of Prefect Nasir after his return to office earlier today. It was the first official act by the returning Prefect who seems dead set on ending the war and ousting non-Majatran militaries from the continent. The Prefect revealed the plan for a nuclear strike had been presented to him during his second term by the Joint Chiefs of Staff, yet at the time he had instantly rejected it. Nasir called the decisions of Duke Zhtál over the course of his military campaign "regretful and tragic". Though the Prefect also repeatedly stated to the press to not "linger too much on the mistakes of yesterday, but let us focus on not making more mistakes today and tomorrow".

The cabinet of Nasir is, as his previous two, a Grand Coalition between the Zhtál Party and the Greater Nationalists. While the Zthál Party has brought several new candidates after the Duke's split within the party it also brings several familiar faces. The most well-known of these is the Foreign Affairs Minister Ashur. Outspoken critic, and relative, of the Duke Viscount Noh Míhaljsrmko Zhtál is the Minister of Justice and Deputy Prefect. The GNP members of the cabinet are, to the surprise of many, exactly the same as those in his previous cabinet. Most notable is Prince Wrntukai Banmek-Sntazed as Minister of Internal Affairs, the distant cousin of King Juhn X has turned 87 this year making him the oldest Minister. The old Prince however maintains his vitality is up to the job. Eksandr G. Anzlék, former Minister of Defence, is now the spokesperson of Defence in the Grand Council for the GNP and serves as Deputy Chairman to Nasir in the party leadership.

After the first cabinet meeting the Prefect immediately presented a plan for the next few months. Prefect Nasir has stated he wishes an immediate end to the conflict in Jelbania. Only minutes after the conclusion of the meeting Minister Ashur flew to the World Congress to address its members. Nasir previously called upon Kalistan, amongst others, to not destroy their diplomatic ties to Vanuku over the grave mistakes of Duke Zhtál. With the government effectively purged of all hawkish politicians the Prefect has moved onwards to foreign affairs. A message was sent to the government of Deltaria requesting an immediate start to peace talks at a location of their choosing, be it in Deltaria, Jelbania or Vanuku. The Prefect has further instructed the Economics Minister to find extra budget to revitalize the economy and find a gap to help rebuild Jelbania.

On top of his first executive command to hold all military operations a further command followed after provocation from the Northern Council, which pierced the Vanukean blockade after it was ordered to stay put and not engage nor follow. The First, Second and Third Fleets have vessels specifically designed to function on the Majatran Sea and have, with immediate effect, to sail full power to the Vanukean and North-Eastern Jelbanian coastline. The homogenous force comprised solely of Vanukean vessels was quickly able to scramble and pass the multinational Northern Council task force. The fleets have been deployed in a defensive manner to obstruct any deployment in the national waters of Vanuku, the Northern Khaganate and the Free Republic. Prefect Nasir stated this to be a "necessity". "Foreign involvement from a warmongering faction like the Northern Council, which according to sources has called internally for a full salvo of nuclear strikes on Vanuku was well as an invasion of our Kingdom, will only help grow the conflict in Jelbania. It is both my and the future Queen's wish for the Northern Council to return home. Their presence will obstruct any peace talks and might make the Deltarians say no. To the Northern Council I say: any attempt to enter national waters of the Kingdom and the two states protected by her will be seen as a declaration of war on the Kingdom of Vanuku. The presence of their submarines armed with nuclear missiles in the Majatran Sea would be provocation enough for many leaders yet I am a man of peace. Return home and let our nations make peace and rebuild Jelbania."
"see yah i think kubs is right" ~Zanz

"I’m pretty sure your buddy Kubrick was upset he couldn’t just resort to his old ways" ~Auditorii

"You can blame Polites and Kubrick for that nightmare" ~Doc
Kubrick

Postby Polites » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:50 am

Polites

Postby Sisyphus » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:44 am

Deputy Prefect Says Election Result Will Not Affect Fledgling Coalition Government
Viscount Zhtál Says Prefect Nasir Has Full Backing of The Z-MJP As He Looks to Broker Peace and Stability

Deputy Prefect Viscount Noh Zhtál

February 4421 - New Deputy Prefect Viscount Noh Zhtál has made it clear that the current governing coalition with the Greater Nationalists will not change, despite the latest election result favouring his party.

The Viscount has stated that Greater Nationalist Chairman Jlekai Nasir is the right man to steer Vanuku out of the crisis created by the nuclear strike in Jelbania and has backed him 100 per cent to broker peace. This is despite the election of January 4221 which saw the Viscount's Zhtál Party (Z-MJP) gain more seats in the Grand Council at the expense of Nasir's Greater Nationalists.

However, he allayed rumours that the ZMJP would attempt to govern alone and revealed the two party leaders had struck a much-needed deal in the best interests of the nation.

He said: "Prefect Nasir is certainly the man for the job. He has my full backing and the backing of my party. I and the other members of the cabinet will assist him and advise him as best we can throughout this new six-year term, which will prove to be one of the most critical in Vanuku's history.

"We are delighted that people have shown so much faith in our party at the election. However, they will understand that we can only achieve what we need to through co-operative working. We face threats and challenges but also a clear opportunity for the first time in years to create a long-lasting peace on Majatra. We must remain resolved to that objective and stand firm against those who try to stop us achieving it. We can only do that with a fully-focussed government, with all elements of this grand coalition pulling in the same direction."

Viscount Zhtál also revealed that he wept uncontrollably for hours when he first discovered that his cousin and former Prefect, Duke Brno Zhtál, had ordered a nuclear strike.

He said: "It was beyond imagining. Beyond tragedy. All I knew was that we had to stop this happening again. So when the King called a vote of no confidence I contacted Chairman Nasir and we decided we had to work together to make sure that vote went through. My cousin was clearly shocked to the core by what he described as the 'ultimate betrayal' but it was absolutely necessary for the future security of this great country."

The Viscount, who serves as Justice Minister in the Nasir cabinet, also praised young Queen Mrjmai for her comments aimed at creating a lasting peace. He said: "Her Majesty strikes me as a very astute and talented woman. Her comments regarding the need to find true peace have struck a real chord with many. It is my belief she is already shaping up to be a great monarch."
Sisyphus

PreviousNext

Return to National News