Requests: Cultural Protocols - CPs [M]

Submit your requests on various areas of the game.

Moderator: RP Committee

Re: Cultural Protocol Approvals

Postby Polites » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:52 am

48 more hours :)
Polites

Postby lewiselder1 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:12 pm

thefalloutfan101 wrote:Introduced once more and 2/3rds majority was secured. http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill. ... lid=580471

All good. Approved.
I go by Ashley now and use she/her pronouns. This is a really old account, I don’t play now.

I was a mod in classic for a bit, then I helped make Marcapada and WM there for a while. As of 2020 I’m co-ordinating Pachapay’s development.
lewiselder1

Postby Sobk » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:25 am

http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill. ... lid=581023

For context, two resolutions were passed discriminating against those two minorities here (Luthori) and here (Majatran)

These are roleplay elements which are currently being met with condemnation in the Security Council and among the Federation de Canrille nations.
Sobk

Postby Polites » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:41 am

Sobk wrote:http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill.php?billid=581023

For context, two resolutions were passed discriminating against those two minorities here (Luthori) and here (Majatran)

These are roleplay elements which are currently being met with condemnation in the Security Council and among the Federation de Canrille nations.

48 hours to go.
Polites

Postby Sobk » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:42 pm

Sobk

Postby cm9777 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:51 pm

Sobk wrote:http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill.php?billid=581023

The approval process is usually 48 hours after its passage and it appears to have been passed not long ago. However, given the circumstances we may approve it early. I will speak with Lewis and Polites and let you know soon thanks.
cm9777

Postby Sobk » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:00 pm

I don't think it's necessary to do it early now :P
Sobk

Postby cm9777 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:11 pm

Sobk wrote:I don't think it's necessary to do it early now :P

Indeed. Approved
cm9777

Re: Cultural Protocol Violation Reports

Postby Aquinas » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:32 am

This report follows a discussion I saw on the #culture-and-design channel on Discord, although I felt it would probably be better for me to raise my concerns here rather than joining in the debate there.

There is a situation going on in Dorvik where the ruling Dorvische Blaue Kalifat Party is trying to make Dorvik an Ahmadi (OOC: Muslim) country, with a Caliph and with Ahmadism as the official state religion. This is despite the fact that according to Dorvik's Cultural Protocol, Ahmadis have no measurable presence in that country.

When this was raised on the server, CM responded:

There is a 2.5% Others section in Dorvik's CP and the characters are German. While it does seem rather ridiculous, it can be justified rp wise by the crazy party leader wanting to make Ahmadism the state religion. However the state religion thing should have the article (via the porposal) for state religion on there. Thats my opinion on the matter.
Not exactly the most realistic but imo still borderline acceptable

I am hoping Moderation will reconsider this verdict.

As I pointed out earlier, the current Game Rules lack specificity when it comes to outlining what the requirements are for playing in Culturally Protected nations. For this reason, the verdict CM delivered on the Discord server is arguably well within Moderation's realm of discretion, although I would personally argue it would be the wrong approach to take in this case.

Please allow me to quote what the previous Game Rules said on this subject:

6. Culture.

Some nations in Particracy have Cultural Protocols, meaning they are "Culturally Protected" and bound by this section of the rules, whilst others are "Culturally Open" and are not. The Cultural Protocols Index should be consulted for more information about the cultural situation of each nation.

6.1 All role-play must respect the established cultural background in Culturally Protected nations.

6.1.1 The players in a nation have an individual and collective responsibility to be mindful of the nation's cultural complexion and take it into account in their role-play decisions. For example, it would usually be unreasonable for a party to present itself primarily as the representative of a minuscule ethnic or religious minority, since realistically such a party would be unlikely to win significant electoral support. Similarly, for example, in a nation split between 2 ethnic communities and with 4 players, it would be reasonable to have 2 cross-ethnic parties and an ethnic-based party for each ethnic group, but it would usually be unreasonable for all 4 parties to be ethnic-based parties representing the same ethnic group. In cases where too many parties belong to one cultural or religious group and Moderation is brought in to arbitrate, the onus will generally be on the more recently-established party to amend its identity.

6.1.2 Special care must be taken to ensure realism is maintained when role-playing a government controlled by an ethnic and/or religious minority. If it is to be supposed that this government is supported by a majority of the population, then this should be plausibly and sufficiently role-played. The burden of proof is on the player or players role-playing such a regime to demonstrate that it is being done realistically.

I believe this outlines the right approach to take in a situation like this. In other words, this is to say that religious minority rule can sometimes be permitted, but that the "burden of proof is on the player or players role-playing such a regime to demonstrate that it is being done realistically".

In this scenario in Dorvik, my interpretation would be that the Ahmadi regime has not been sufficiently role-played and does not have sufficient role-play justification. There have been no posts on the forum about it, and not much in the way of in-game RP either.

The only RP explanation I could find was a sentence in the party's party description field reading:

In November 4453, President Biggelswerd converted to Ahmadism after claiming that the Prophet Ahmad came to him in a dream and told him to convert the people of Dorvik and establish a new Caliphate.

I am doubtful that one man's religious conversion experience can be considered sufficient RP justification for Dorvik to suddenly move in the direction of becoming an Ahmadi state. Realistically, even if he convinced himself of this, how realistic is it to suppose he even managed to convince the rest of his party that making Dorvik an Ahmadi country is a good idea?

On a final point, as I've already made clear, I feel there are issues with the current rules surrounding Cultural Protocols. Last month Moderation seemed to indicate these rules would be reconsidered, although I notice this area of the rules has not been mentioned in the rules redraft plan. Is there any chance we could at least put the CP rules "on the agenda", as it were?

Apologies for the length of this and thanks for reading.
Aquinas

Re: Cultural Protocol Violation Reports

Postby cm9777 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:00 pm

It’s certainly something we can look into I will speak with the other mods and potentially the GRC to see what they think.
cm9777

PreviousNext

Return to Requests