Requests: Cultural Protocols - CPs [M]

Submit your requests on various areas of the game.

Moderator: RP Committee

Re: Cultural Protocol Queries (Approvals/Violations/Open)

Postby jamescfm » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:26 pm

Auditorii wrote:http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill.php?billid=627971

Given that this is substantively the same as the cultural protocol update you previously submitted for approval and the ongoing attempt to rectify the issues with cultural protocols, I am happy to waive the usual 48 hour period before approval can be granted. Approved.

Please ensure you post a clearly titled bill in the debate section with the new cultural protocol and that it links to the original bill as it was passed as well as this Moderation approval.
jamescfm

Postby Masionette9 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:09 pm

Party of National Coalition (Valruzia) - active
Kalistan Democratic Party (Kalistan) - inactive
Masionette9

Postby jamescfm » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:24 pm

Masionette9 wrote:http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill.php?billid=627977

This would update the cultural protocol of a culturally protected country. As per the Game Rules, there will now be a 48 hour period for players to offer comment on the proposal before it can be approved.
jamescfm

Postby Aquinas » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:55 pm

jamescfm wrote:
Kubrick wrote:http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill.php?billid=627968

New one, larger focus on Jelbic cultures as a whole, rise in Tanhrism, RP can be provided on request but IMO it should be good like this.

Given that the bill has now passed, I'll consider the submission. This would update the cultural protocol of a culturally protected country. As per the Game Rules, there will now be a 48 hour period for players to offer comment on the proposal before it can be approved.

Given the Mordusian proposal has (rightly, IMHO) been queried for adjustments ranging between 10% and 18%, in all due fairness, it would probably be appropriate to query the Vanuku proposals as well, which reduce Hosians by 12% and increase Jelbic Shamans by 14%.

Also, as a note, the previous CP update for Vanuku involved very substantial changes to the language demographics, which is perhaps an extra argument for carefully scrutinising the changes being proposed now.

jamescfm wrote:

This would update the cultural protocol of a culturally protected country. As per the Game Rules, there will now be a 48 hour period for players to offer comment on the proposal before it can be approved.

Notice that Akigans have been decreased from 69% to 33%, whilst Luthoris have gone from nowhere to 29%, and that the Church of Vorona has gone from 100% to disappearing entirely. Also notice that the real-life equivalents are not listed in this bill. The linked wikia articles do not give the RL equivalents either.

Given the really bizarre and unexplained manner in which Vorona's CP was implemented by Moderation, which I described here, I feel there is a strong case for changing Vorona's status to Culturally Open.
Aquinas

Postby jamescfm » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:48 am

Aquinas wrote:Given the Mordusian proposal has (rightly, IMHO) been queried for adjustments ranging between 10% and 18%, in all due fairness, it would probably be appropriate to query the Vanuku proposals as well, which reduce Hosians by 12% and increase Jelbic Shamans by 14%.

Also, as a note, the previous CP update for Vanuku involved very substantial changes to the language demographics, which is perhaps an extra argument for carefully scrutinising the changes being proposed now.

I think these are fair concerns, though it is worth noting that "Jelbic Shamanism" includes two separate religions that have each seen a more modest 7 pp increase. Likewise for the individual churches within "Hosianism". Generally it would be better to have frequent, incremental changes rather than sporadic, significant ones but perhaps Kubrick could provide some role-play justification for the changes being made in this case.
jamescfm

Postby jamescfm » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:50 am

Aquinas wrote:Notice that Akigans have been decreased from 69% to 33%, whilst Luthoris have gone from nowhere to 29%, and that the Church of Vorona has gone from 100% to disappearing entirely. Also notice that the real-life equivalents are not listed in this bill. The linked wikia articles do not give the RL equivalents either.

Given the really bizarre and unexplained manner in which Vorona's CP was implemented by Moderation, which I described here, I feel there is a strong case for changing Vorona's status to Culturally Open.

I think these are reasonable queries, the cultural protocol being proposed here is fundamentally different from the one in place at the moment. Although as has been noted, the current one is potentially very confusing to players so there may be room for flexibility on that front. At the moment we are being a little bit permissive about real-life equivalents, in that we probably aren't going to withhold approval for a cultural protocol on the basis that one or two terms are missing where they can be reasonably deduced from other sources and context (in these cases, we have made a note in the debate section of the bill). In this case however, it seems there almost aren't any at all.

Something that may also be a problem is that the religious section of the demographics only adds up to 97%. Strictly speaking nothing in the rules requires that they do so but it doesn't seem that there is any explanation for the religious background of the missing 3% (if there was no "irreligious" population listed then we might assume that the 3% are those that don't belong to any religion, for example).
jamescfm

Postby rtmfry » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:32 am

http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill.php?billid=628105

Second half includes Cultural Protocols.
RTMFry, SEP, Rutania.
rtmfry

Postby Masionette9 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:15 pm

jamescfm wrote:

As no opposition from members of the community were raised since July 7, 2020. And the lack of other players in Vorona I'm guessing that the requirements have been met.
Masionette9

Postby jamescfm » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:22 pm

Masionette9 wrote:As no opposition from members of the community were raised since July 7, 2020. And the lack of other players in Vorona I'm guessing that the requirements have been met.

A few queries were raised, I have quoted them below. Note also that there should be at least a 48 hour period for players to offer comment on the bill and that this period doesn't start until a Moderator confirms that the cultural protocol update meets the criteria to be considered (i.e. that it was passed by the appropriate majority).
Aquinas wrote:Notice that Akigans have been decreased from 69% to 33%, whilst Luthoris have gone from nowhere to 29%, and that the Church of Vorona has gone from 100% to disappearing entirely. Also notice that the real-life equivalents are not listed in this bill. The linked wikia articles do not give the RL equivalents either.

jamescfm wrote:I think these are reasonable queries, the cultural protocol being proposed here is fundamentally different from the one in place at the moment. Although as has been noted, the current one is potentially very confusing to players so there may be room for flexibility on that front. At the moment we are being a little bit permissive about real-life equivalents, in that we probably aren't going to withhold approval for a cultural protocol on the basis that one or two terms are missing where they can be reasonably deduced from other sources and context (in these cases, we have made a note in the debate section of the bill). In this case however, it seems there almost aren't any at all.

Something that may also be a problem is that the religious section of the demographics only adds up to 97%. Strictly speaking nothing in the rules requires that they do so but it doesn't seem that there is any explanation for the religious background of the missing 3% (if there was no "irreligious" population listed then we might assume that the 3% are those that don't belong to any religion, for example).
jamescfm

Postby Masionette9 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:52 pm

Let's make it open then.
Masionette9

PreviousNext

Return to Requests