Requests: Cultural Protocols - CPs [M]

Submit your requests on various areas of the game.

Moderator: RP Committee

Re: Cultural Protocol Queries (Approvals/Violations/Open)

Postby Augustus Germanus » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:21 pm

jamescfm wrote:
Augustus Germanus wrote:http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill.php?billid=629175

I've made a very small update to the protocols, that being some Swedish and Danish words that will define how one names parties and such in those languages. Anyways thanks in advance!

Approved. Please ensure you post a clearly titled bill in the debate section with the new cultural protocol and that it links to the original bill as it was passed as well as this Moderation approval.

Okay! Thank you so much!
Nationell Samling in Davostag Image
Landa Reforma Partio in Zardugal Image
Augustus Germanus

Postby jamescfm » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:36 pm

Based on the feedback received from players, Moderation has approved the above document as the new cultural protocol of Ikradon.
jamescfm

Postby Aquinas » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:05 pm

http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill. ... lid=630341

Cultural Protocol update for Malivia. This includes a significant increase in Raktavanis/Rajuttis (Indians) and Gerajans (Hindus), and a significant decrease in Malisindus/Esinsindus (Afro-Caribbeans) and Hosians (Christians). There has been a fair amount of RP over a prolonged period of time which I argue would justify this. Some of this is helpfully summarised in the penultimate paragraph of this post. More detail can be provided on request.

This update changes the name for Indians from "Rajuttis" to "Raktavanis". The reason for this is that "Rajuttis" was not ideal as a general umbrella term for Indians, as in the Real-Life Equivalents Index, it has a much more specific meaning, denoting Hindustanis. To make things more complicated, this is also the convention followed in Vascania. Raktavani, by the way, is the name of the ruling dynasty in Vascania, which apparently means "red tide" or something similar. I have discussed this with Pragma, the Vascania player, and she is also happy for "Raktavani" to become a general umbrella term for Indians.

Similarly, this update changes the name for Afro-Caribbeans from "Esinsindus" to "Malisindus". The reason for this is that using "Esinsindus" for Afro-Caribbeans in Malivia has always been a little problematic, since "Esinsindus" is recognised as the general umbrella term for "Africans".

So naturally, then, in the event that this CP update is accepted, my follow-up request is for the Real-Life Equivalents Index to be updated to include the new terms for Indians and Afro-Caribbeans. A further request is to amend the Nation Renaming Guide to remove Jamaican Patois/Malivian Patois from Maliva's entry, leaving just English and Hindi. The reason for this is that the Afro-Caribbean community in Malivia will have decreased in size, and Malivian Patois has been in decline - partly due to the approach taken by the government (see, for example here).
Aquinas

Postby jamescfm » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:08 pm

Aquinas wrote:http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill.php?billid=630341

Cultural Protocol update for Malivia. This includes a significant increase in Raktavanis/Rajuttis (Indians) and Gerajans (Hindus), and a significant decrease in Malisindus/Esinsindus (Afro-Caribbeans) and Hosians (Christians). There has been a fair amount of RP over a prolonged period of time which I argue would justify this. Some of this is helpfully summarised in the penultimate paragraph of this post. More detail can be provided on request.

This update changes the name for Indians from "Rajuttis" to "Raktavanis". The reason for this is that "Rajuttis" was not ideal as a general umbrella term for Indians, as in the Real-Life Equivalents Index, it has a much more specific meaning, denoting Hindustanis. To make things more complicated, this is also the convention followed in Vascania. Raktavani, by the way, is the name of the ruling dynasty in Vascania, which apparently means "red tide" or something similar. I have discussed this with Pragma, the Vascania player, and she is also happy for "Raktavani" to become a general umbrella term for Indians.

Similarly, this update changes the name for Afro-Caribbeans from "Esinsindus" to "Malisindus". The reason for this is that using "Esinsindus" for Afro-Caribbeans in Malivia has always been a little problematic, since "Esinsindus" is recognised as the general umbrella term for "Africans".

So naturally, then, in the event that this CP update is accepted, my follow-up request is for the Real-Life Equivalents Index to be updated to include the new terms for Indians and Afro-Caribbeans. A further request is to amend the Nation Renaming Guide to remove Jamaican Patois/Malivian Patois from Maliva's entry, leaving just English and Hindi. The reason for this is that the Afro-Caribbean community in Malivia will have decreased in size, and Malivian Patois has been in decline - partly due to the approach taken by the government (see, for example here).

This would update the cultural protocol of a culturally protected country. As per the Game Rules, there will now be a 48 hour period for players to offer comment on the proposal before it can be approved.
jamescfm

Postby Aquinas » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:56 pm

jamescfm wrote:

This would update the cultural protocol of a culturally protected country. As per the Game Rules, there will now be a 48 hour period for players to offer comment on the proposal before it can be approved.

Any update on this?
Aquinas

Postby jamescfm » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:24 pm

Sorry for the delay, busy past few days. Despite the relatively significant changes in some of these cases, I am confident based on the explanation provided that there is sufficient role-play evidence to justify them so I am going to approve the change. Please ensure you post a clearly titled bill in the debate section with the new cultural protocol and that it links to the original bill as it was passed as well as this Moderation approval.
jamescfm

Postby Yolo04 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:51 am

http://classic.particracy.net/viewparty ... tyid=40720

Howdy, cabinet minister names are a bit wonky considering the culture of the GLORIOUS EMPIRE OF KEYMON. Thanks
List of Parties:
Image Keymon, Four Pillars Party (MQP): ACTIVE

Dankuk, Hwanghu Dang Party (4613): INACTIVE
Yolo04

Location: West Virginia, USA (haha country roads jokes are so funny)

Postby jamescfm » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:30 am

Yolo04 wrote:http://classic.particracy.net/viewparty.php?partyid=40720

Howdy, cabinet minister names are a bit wonky considering the culture of the GLORIOUS EMPIRE OF KEYMON. Thanks

Player has been messaged, thanks for letting us know.
jamescfm

Postby jamescfm » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:41 pm

http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill. ... lid=631126

Cultural protocol update for Hobrazia. Two notable changes to the demographics of the country.

Hobaism (an invented religion that is a form of paganism) has replaced the previous distinction between "Hobaism" and "Orthodox Hobaism". No explanation of the difference is easily available, so I think it is fair and reasonable to merge them together. The proportion of the population adhering to the religion has been reduced reasonably substantially. I made this decision because of the unclear nature of the religion. In the coming weeks I am hoping to produce some kind of resource that would make it easy to explain to new players but at the moment that doesn't exist.

For this reason I think it is sensible to increase the proportion of the population adhering to the Hobrazian Orthodox Church, so that new players could reasonably focus their role-play on this faith without having to read the poorly-written wiki page for Hobaism. In reality I would have liked to reduce the proportion further but clearly there's a balance between accessibility and respecting historic role-play.

The other major change is the redefining of the term "Deltarian" which was previously "North Caucasian". As far as I am aware this is not an actual ethnic group but a language family and it does not really appear clear who it is supposed to refer to. For this reason I choose to redefine them as Circassian, an ethnic group not currently represented in the game as far as I know (though crucially with a name generator available) and which falls within the previous "North Caucasian" label.
jamescfm

Postby Auditorii » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:37 pm

jamescfm wrote:http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill.php?billid=631126

Cultural protocol update for Hobrazia. Two notable changes to the demographics of the country.

Hobaism (an invented religion that is a form of paganism) has replaced the previous distinction between "Hobaism" and "Orthodox Hobaism". No explanation of the difference is easily available, so I think it is fair and reasonable to merge them together. The proportion of the population adhering to the religion has been reduced reasonably substantially. I made this decision because of the unclear nature of the religion. In the coming weeks I am hoping to produce some kind of resource that would make it easy to explain to new players but at the moment that doesn't exist.

For this reason I think it is sensible to increase the proportion of the population adhering to the Hobrazian Orthodox Church, so that new players could reasonably focus their role-play on this faith without having to read the poorly-written wiki page for Hobaism. In reality I would have liked to reduce the proportion further but clearly there's a balance between accessibility and respecting historic role-play.

The other major change is the redefining of the term "Deltarian" which was previously "North Caucasian". As far as I am aware this is not an actual ethnic group but a language family and it does not really appear clear who it is supposed to refer to. For this reason I choose to redefine them as Circassian, an ethnic group not currently represented in the game as far as I know (though crucially with a name generator available) and which falls within the previous "North Caucasian" label.

I'll start the 48 hour clock. I find the reasoning behind Hobaism to be logical and clear, Im sure it can eventually devolve in the future but it appears to be the best course now.
Image Dorvik | Image Zardugal | Image Ostland (FBC)
-- Particracy Game Rules
-- Moderation Requests
-- Game Information
-- Particracy Discord
Auditorii

PreviousNext

Return to Requests