Operation: Particracy Wiki (Questions and Discussion)

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Re: Operation: Particracy Wiki (Questions and Discussion)

Postby robmark0000 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:56 am

Edmund wrote:I believe that it is time for the community to seriously start considering moving wiki hosts, even if the issues with Fandom (formerly Wikia) have been known for years. Luckily for us there is already a perfect wiki host for the Particracy Wiki's requirements: Miraheze. It's a free wiki host with no ads that has been running for five years. I've discussed this on the Discord in the past but this really should take place on the forum and this thread is active again, so.

https://meta.miraheze.org/wiki/Moving_a ... o_Miraheze

All we would need to do is have an administrator get the XML dump from the wikia, follow the outlined process for requesting an import, and (this is maybe the main issue) change the wiki links in the game to the new wiki.

I second this.
Information: Player Profile here, Musical Profile here, Political Compass here.
World Congress Coordinator

"Only the Young can run. So run, and run, and run!" ~ Taylor Swift
robmark0000

Location: Hungary / Magyarország (my liberal soul is in prison here, big big sadness)

Postby jamescfm » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:53 am

At the moment we have a wiki administration team of six people (of whom three are bureaucrats) plus we would need to talk to Moderation and Wouter about it first. With that said I know that at least Auditorii and I have had conversations about moving away from Fandom for various reasons but never actually taken action on it. In the next few days we'll take a proper look at this and talk to the others involved but it certainly seems like a good alternative to the current setup.
jamescfm

Postby Auditorii » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:12 pm

jamescfm wrote:At the moment we have a wiki administration team of six people (of whom three are bureaucrats) plus we would need to talk to Moderation and Wouter about it first. With that said I know that at least Auditorii and I have had conversations about moving away from Fandom for various reasons but never actually taken action on it. In the next few days we'll take a proper look at this and talk to the others involved but it certainly seems like a good alternative to the current setup.

To provide an update to this (since James' departure) I am actively exploring the Miraheze option. I have contacted Moderation (some time ago) and we've chatted about it and they appear on board. I'm going to be requesting an update to the current Wikia dump and see if I can import it (or Miraheze) can import it to the new wiki.
Image Dorvik | Image Zardugal | Image Ostland (FBC)
-- Particracy Game Rules
-- Moderation Requests
-- Game Information
-- Particracy Discord
Auditorii

Postby robmark0000 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:17 pm

Auditorii wrote:To provide an update to this (since James' departure) I am actively exploring the Miraheze option. I have contacted Moderation (some time ago) and we've chatted about it and they appear on board. I'm going to be requesting an update to the current Wikia dump and see if I can import it (or Miraheze) can import it to the new wiki.

Glad to hear.
Information: Player Profile here, Musical Profile here, Political Compass here.
World Congress Coordinator

"Only the Young can run. So run, and run, and run!" ~ Taylor Swift
robmark0000

Location: Hungary / Magyarország (my liberal soul is in prison here, big big sadness)

Postby Aquinas » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:05 am

Auditorii wrote:
jamescfm wrote:At the moment we have a wiki administration team of six people (of whom three are bureaucrats) plus we would need to talk to Moderation and Wouter about it first. With that said I know that at least Auditorii and I have had conversations about moving away from Fandom for various reasons but never actually taken action on it. In the next few days we'll take a proper look at this and talk to the others involved but it certainly seems like a good alternative to the current setup.

To provide an update to this (since James' departure) I am actively exploring the Miraheze option. I have contacted Moderation (some time ago) and we've chatted about it and they appear on board. I'm going to be requesting an update to the current Wikia dump and see if I can import it (or Miraheze) can import it to the new wiki.

It goes without saying that Auditorii is not an appropriate person to be given authority either on the current Wikia or in any new Wikia that is created. If he does play any role in setting up the new Wikia, I cannot emphasise enough how essential it is that Moderation & Wouter should be the ones to have full technical control/authority over it. Please do not take any chances.

Speaking more broadly about the Wikia situation...as most here will be aware by now, it has emerged that plagiarism has been and remains a significant problem in our community. Four of our six Wikia leadership team (admins & bureaucrats) have been found to have engaged in significant plagiarism, and only one of them has so far emerged as completely "clean" (that being James). Evidence has been emerging of plagiarism taking place on our Wikia, as well as on our forum and in the game itself.

I would suggest this is a good time for Moderation to review the Wikia situation, and make sure that, going forwards, we keep an eye out for plagiarism and tackle it appropriately. Our Wikia leadership team need to make clear they are absolutely committed to that.

Bear in mind also, of course, that plagiarism is against Fandom's policies, and if our Wikia leadership team are not able to control the situation there, then we could potentially be running in to problems.
Aquinas

Postby Drax » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:11 pm

Not arguing with anybody on Wiki issues but want to raise my personal concern. I am probably the most low tech person in the game and certainly do not suggest I should find a new system accessible. Do believe most players should find any new system accessible rather than an insurmountable challenge.
Neue Dundorfische Zentrumspartei (NDZP), Dundorf, Active
Deltarianska Narodna Strana (DNS), Deltaria, Active
Dedicated to the proposition.
Drax

Postby Auditorii » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:21 pm

Drax wrote:Not arguing with anybody on Wiki issues but want to raise my personal concern. I am probably the most low tech person in the game and certainly do not suggest I should find a new system accessible. Do believe most players should find any new system accessible rather than an insurmountable challenge.

Imho the “older” wiki is far easier to use and way more modular than the newer wikia/fandom. The newer fandom on the surface appears to be more manageable but it’s a pain to manage. I mean this in a sense from a template stance, the fact that most people edit in the “wrong” editor due to updates to Fandom, is problematic for a lot templates and things generally used on the wiki.
-- Particracy Game Rules
-- Moderation Requests
-- Game Information
-- Particracy Discord
Auditorii

Postby Drax » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:28 pm

Certainly agree older Wiki was considerably more accessible.
Neue Dundorfische Zentrumspartei (NDZP), Dundorf, Active
Deltarianska Narodna Strana (DNS), Deltaria, Active
Dedicated to the proposition.
Drax

Postby neoliberalbad » Sat May 08, 2021 11:57 pm

Am I allowed to redirect the Dankuk page to a new one labeled the "Rowiet Union"? In the past Dranland became separated from the main page because of the 3608 Kyo revolution; but so far I've kept Dankuk as the nation page bc I'm not sure if a redirect is appropriate. Should I just keep the name for now?
neoliberalbad

Postby Auditorii » Sun May 09, 2021 1:39 am

neoliberalbad wrote:Am I allowed to redirect the Dankuk page to a new one labeled the "Rowiet Union"? In the past Dranland became separated from the main page because of the 3608 Kyo revolution; but so far I've kept Dankuk as the nation page bc I'm not sure if a redirect is appropriate. Should I just keep the name for now?

What would be the purpose of directing the current Dankuk national page to the "Rowiet Union"?
-- Particracy Game Rules
-- Moderation Requests
-- Game Information
-- Particracy Discord
Auditorii

PreviousNext

Return to General