We need less Presidents and Prime Ministers!

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

We need less Presidents and Prime Ministers!

Postby SelucianCrusader » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:32 pm

To many countries call their HoS "President" and their HoG "Prime minister". Frankly I think it's dull, and a bit sad, it limits creativity and makes many countries look like generic English-speaking republics.

In Barmenia, were we have recently introduced a heredity monarchy, we call our combined HoS/HoG "Potentate". Other replacements for President could be "Consul" (that's a really fine one), "Chancellor", "Tribune", "Director General", "Administrator", "Steward", "Lord/Lady", "Guardian", "Warden", "Governor", "Jarl", "Vizier", "Grand Magister/Magistrix", "Doux" etc. etc. etc. Why does it in so many cases have to be "President", followed by a "Prime minister". Use your imagination and we'll get a lot more cultural activity, and excellent opportunities for RP.

And why does everyone needs to even have a HoG in a republic? The two posts are better merged together.
SelucianCrusader

Re: We need less Presidents and Prime Ministers!

Postby Jalal Al-e-Ahmad » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:45 pm

You are preaching to the choir, my Crusading Comrade.
I've always had a powerful hatred for boring titles like President and Prime Minister.
And I've always hated "Republics," and the push for hyper-realistic titles and nations.

In Al'Badara, there used to be a player that insisted we have a President and Prime Minister, despite our culture and language and all that jazz.
It got me so huffy, I mockingly proposed this bill:
http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill. ... lid=355280

I agree though, and there is another forum post somewhere that expresses this same sentiment.
In naming our Governments and Titles, we can be as creative as we want, and we should be. A prime example of doing this well would be Malivia.
What you aspire to as revolutionaries is a new master. You will get one. - Jacques Lacan
Jalal Al-e-Ahmad

Postby Siggon Kristov » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:19 pm

I had plans for Gaduridos to have an elected "Prince" as a ceremonial HoS, and a "Minister-President" or "Minister-General" as the de facto HoS and HoG. It would be a parliamentary republic, but I called it a "Principal Republic" even though the elected prince would really have no power.

When the Karav Dynasty feared a loss of power, we staged a coup in which the Williams Family held the throne as our puppets, and the office of "Prime Minister" was abolished temporarily to have a noble as a "Lord Count"

I think we could have more parliamentary republics, where the ceremonial de jure HoS is inactive, or non-existent (position vacant) and the HoG is elected by the legislature through cabinet proposals (something like Trinidad & Tobago, or how Jamaica is run now where the Prime Minister is more powerful than the Governor-General, and is considered the equivalent of a president in other countries). If we used out imagination and twisted RP, we could find creative ways of coming up with new titles, like how I came up with "High Count" and "Count-General"
Check out my latest Particracy project, and feel free to discuss it in the forums.
Siggon Kristov

Postby EEL123 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:32 pm

Some countries, however, need boring titles to complement their nothing-too-dramatic-ever-happens political stability.
House of Razama
EEL123

Postby Siggon Kristov » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:34 pm

EEL123 wrote:Some countries, however, need boring titles to complement their nothing-too-dramatic-ever-happens political stability.

Solentia doesn't have a "Prime Minister" and SC had a point when he said some nations could do without a split HoG/HoS
Check out my latest Particracy project, and feel free to discuss it in the forums.
Siggon Kristov

Postby EEL123 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:35 pm

Siggon Kristov wrote:Solentia doesn't have a "Prime Minister" and SC had a point when he said some nations could do without a split HoG/HoS
I think that Solentia is one of the President/Prime Minister type countries. And honestly, "Senate Warden" is a horrible sounding, weird and awkward alternative.
House of Razama
EEL123

Postby Afrocentric » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:42 pm

I cite Rutania's history and penchant for tradition in regards to our bland names for HoS and HoG.

Urban Party of Kirlawa, Kirlawa - Inactive
Democratic Reform Party, Talmoria - Inactive
Labour Party, Saridan - Inactive
Urban Party of Rutania, Rutania - Inactive

http://www.soundcloud.com/djtechnotikofficial
Afrocentric

Postby Zanz » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:44 pm

EEL123 wrote:
Siggon Kristov wrote:Solentia doesn't have a "Prime Minister" and SC had a point when he said some nations could do without a split HoG/HoS
I think that Solentia is one of the President/Prime Minister type countries. And honestly, "Senate Warden" is a horrible sounding, weird and awkward alternative.

Well, that's opinion ;)

In our defense, the Supreme Presidency and the Senate Wardenship are entrenched in Solentian Bailenist heritage. The titles are derived from their theocratic predecessor titles the Supreme Archbishop and the Elite Warden. When Father George Bailen (the first Supreme President of the Federal Republic of Solentia, elected in 2406) rejected the theocratic leanings of his Xzarin Catholic Party and instead embraced secular democracy, the Supreme Presidency and Senate Wardenship were created.

While this may seem "horrible sounding" to you, we are proud of the maintenance of this historical tradition despite numerous challenges over the years.
Just a bunch of shit.
Zanz

Postby EEL123 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:52 pm

I know it's tradition, and that you are not keen on throwing it out, but it does sound awkward. I'm not forcing you to discard it or anything, so don't get pissed.
House of Razama
EEL123

Postby Farsun » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:53 pm

I think it fits certain countries, namely Rutania and Dranland who have basically a British-esque parliamentarian republic. For many others they have different titles, namely Selucia in the past, and a few others. Beluzia is a decent representation of what can happen when you think outside the box a little bit. Now, I am in no way saying that Dorvik is different and I can really careless, it's more about the history and the culture of the nation which dictates the current styles and titles for the leadership. I think it has to fit the country, for example I know Kalopia use to have a Doux and the like, very greek.
Dorvish Social Nationalist Party
OOC Administrator of the Artanian Union & Bureaucrat of the Particracy Wiki
Farsun

Next

Return to General