Nation descriptions in the Cultural Protocols Index

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Nation descriptions in the Cultural Protocols Index

Postby Aquinas » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:46 pm

The Cultural Protocols Index includes short descriptions of the cultures of all the Culturally Protected nations. Please bear in mind these descriptions are not "official" in themselves; it is the information contained in the Cultural Protocols themselves which are binding in terms of the game rules.

We would appreciate feedback from players about these descriptions and how they could be improved. Remember the descriptions need to be short, though.

Culturally Open nations are not bound by the culture rules, but it is possible for players to pass a non-enforceable Nation Description bill outlining the nation's suggested cultural character, which - at Moderation's discretion - can then be linked to the nation's entry in the Cultural Protocols Index. A short entry can also be added for the description, based on the Nation Description bill.

A Nation Description bill must be passed by a 2/3rds majority of all players with seats (not just those with seats who vote), and at least one of the players supporting the bill must have been continuously active in the nation (ie. no inactivations) for at least 1 month. A notification should then be made on this thread, so Moderation can update the Cultural Protocols Index as appropriate.

Culturally Protected nations which move to Culturally Open status will automatically have their previous Cultural Protocol treated as their Nation Description.

Players in Culturally Open nations may update or change their Nation Description simply by going through the same process of passing another Nation Description bill. Alternatively, they may withdraw their Nation Description altogether by passing an appropriate motion with a simple majority of players with seats (ie. more players with seats vote for it than against it), with the condition that at least one of the players supporting the withdrawal must have been currently continuously active in the nation (ie. no inactivations) for at least 1 month. Again, a notification should then be made on this thread, so Moderation can update the Cultural Protocols Index as appropriate.
Last edited by Aquinas on Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated
Aquinas

Re: Nation descriptions in the Cultural Protocols Index

Postby Maxington » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:21 am

Oh Thank you Aquinas and the other who helped gathering , I am sure it will help new players as they try into integrate themselves into a country/nation in terra.

This is very useful.
Thank God!
:mrgreen:
"The future of the Nation is in the children's school bags" ~ Dr. Eric Williams
President of the Trond Henrichsen Institute for International Affairs.
Maxington

Postby Polites » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:19 am

That is a wonderful idea, well done!

I also think that the first page of the Cultural Protocols thread should be amended to remove the list of Culturally Protected nations; the list is redundant (since there's already the CP index) and outdated.
Polites

Postby Amazeroth » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:38 pm

Polites wrote:That is a wonderful idea, well done!

I also think that the first page of the Cultural Protocols thread should be amended to remove the list of Culturally Protected nations; the list is redundant (since there's already the CP index) and outdated.

Good point, it's removed.
Eines Tages traf Karl der Große eine alte Frau.
"Guten Tag, alte Frau", sagte Karl der Große.
"Guten Tag, Karl der Große", sagte die alte Frau.
Solche und ähnliche Geschichten erzählt man sich über die Leutseligkeit Karls des Großen.
Amazeroth

Postby Kubrick » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:12 pm

I like it, Aquinas! But for Hulstria it is perhaps better to swap German with Austrian, I believe that is what the 'old guard' in Hulstria based it on back then, there's at least a lot of similarities.

Perhaps in the future it is nice to give a short summary of the nation "Dorvik is a nation with German and old Prussian cultures, it is very northern with a cold climate and has a long history as a military nation. Something about it once being a kingdom, then some communist happy place and then the federation blabla."
"see yah i think kubs is right" ~Zanz

"I’m pretty sure your buddy Kubrick was upset he couldn’t just resort to his old ways" ~Auditorii

"You can blame Polites and Kubrick for that nightmare" ~Doc
Kubrick

Postby Amazeroth » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:29 pm

Good point about Hulstria, it's changed.

I'm afraid that the kind of description you're proposing would already be too long - so far, the idea is that players can take one look at the index and see where the cultures they want to play with are located, as well as vice-versa. A description that goes into political history would become a bit too long to do that by quickly glancing over.
Eines Tages traf Karl der Große eine alte Frau.
"Guten Tag, alte Frau", sagte Karl der Große.
"Guten Tag, Karl der Große", sagte die alte Frau.
Solche und ähnliche Geschichten erzählt man sich über die Leutseligkeit Karls des Großen.
Amazeroth

Postby Polites » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:31 pm

Might I suggest a change to the definition of Cildania? It isn't really "Phoenician" the same way Selucia is "Ancient Roman", it's not a transplantation of ancient Phoenicia into modern times, but a modern Middle Eastern nation with Phoenician as its main language. So I'd suggest "Phoenician-speaking Levantine with a Berber minority".
Polites

Postby Aquinas » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:12 pm

Polites wrote:Might I suggest a change to the definition of Cildania? It isn't really "Phoenician" the same way Selucia is "Ancient Roman", it's not a transplantation of ancient Phoenicia into modern times, but a modern Middle Eastern nation with Phoenician as its main language. So I'd suggest "Phoenician-speaking Levantine with a Berber minority".

I have made the amendment you suggested. Please let us know of any others you can spot!
Aquinas

Postby Kubrick » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:15 pm

Should "Jelbic" and "Brmek" perhaps be explained? New players will just look at that and ask themselves "what the fuck's a Jelbic?".
"see yah i think kubs is right" ~Zanz

"I’m pretty sure your buddy Kubrick was upset he couldn’t just resort to his old ways" ~Auditorii

"You can blame Polites and Kubrick for that nightmare" ~Doc
Kubrick

Postby Aquinas » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:19 pm

Kubrick wrote:Perhaps in the future it is nice to give a short summary of the nation "Dorvik is a nation with German and old Prussian cultures, it is very northern with a cold climate and has a long history as a military nation. Something about it once being a kingdom, then some communist happy place and then the federation blabla."

We could try to develop a list separate from the Cultural Protocols Index, which includes a more expanded (but still concise) description of each nation...

Also, what you've just written there might be an idea for a Random Fact :).

Kubrick wrote:Should "Jelbic" and "Brmek" perhaps be explained? New players will just look at that and ask themselves "what the fuck's a Jelbic?"

Good idea. Does anyone want to make an attempt at that in a sentence or two?
Aquinas

Next

Return to General