Help: Language Assistance

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Re: Language Assistance Requests

Postby Polites » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:18 pm

Iestwyn wrote:Calling all Pntek experts! (As far as I understand, that's the Jelbic dialect used in Pontesi. ... Right?)In order to better comply with Pontesi's Cultural Protocols, I'd love to translate my party's name into Pntek. It's Victoria Animi, Selucian (Latin) for Triumph of the Mind.

Srlék Grzmojad would, I think, be the best translation; Srl is Jelbic for "soul, mind", much like Latin anima.
Polites

Postby Iestwyn » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:36 pm

Interesting! Thanks!

I know Jelbic is a fairly flushed-out language, but Pntek is, too? (By the way, I don't know how to type unusual or accented characters. ... How?)
Iestwyn

Postby Polites » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:42 pm

Jelbek, Pntek, and Brmek (and to some extent Wrnukek) are all Jelbic languages, and they are almost identical, with the exception of the source vocabulary for loan words (Jelbek generally uses Deltarian, i.e. Slavic words, Persian and Aramaic for Brmek, Armenian and Latin for Pntek, and Dutch for Wrnukek). Of these, Jelbek has a very elaborate dictionary, and there's a smaller one for Brmek; the other languages don't have separate dictionaries, at least not yet; this is the common core vocabulary for all Jelbic languages. For special characters, the best option is copy-pasting :)
Polites

Postby Zanz » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:22 pm

And, if you were curious, Srlék Grzmojad translates literally as "Mind's victory". The ék piece indicates possession, Grzmojad is a gerund from the verb grzmo (to win).
Just a bunch of shit.
Zanz

Postby Iestwyn » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:34 pm

Very interesting---and impressive! So do any of you have actual experience with Slavic languages, and that's where you get the grammar? The "ek" possessive suffix, for example?
Iestwyn

Postby Zanz » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:51 pm

Iestwyn wrote:Very interesting---and impressive! So do any of you have actual experience with Slavic languages, and that's where you get the grammar? The "ek" possessive suffix, for example?

Polites speaks like 45 languages, because he's been forced to Roma-cross Europe for ages, but no - not really. IdioC was the original creator of the language and his work had it sort of as a mix of Slavic languages and Japanese, AFAIK. It's sort of become everybody's baby since then - IdioC does some development now and then, I've done most of the Jelbék stuff with Reddy and Polites, and Polites and Kubrick and SelCru did most of Pontesi/Vanuku/Barmenia. It's sort of a beautiful mess, honestly. Nobody knows what's happening, which is probably pretty realistic.
Just a bunch of shit.
Zanz

Postby Kubrick » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:58 pm

IdioC designed the grammar behind it, he's the true father of Jelbic. For me it usually goes like this: I need a word for a new title or organization name. I can not find that word in the Jelbic libraries so I decide to make my own word and experiment on Google translate with Turkish, Mongolian and other fun languages. For Wrnukek I might even use German..

Jelbic is a wonderful project and basically everyone can chip in once they get the basics.
"see yah i think kubs is right" ~Zanz

"I’m pretty sure your buddy Kubrick was upset he couldn’t just resort to his old ways" ~Auditorii

"You can blame Polites and Kubrick for that nightmare" ~Doc
Kubrick

Postby Polites » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:55 am

And if you're curious about the grammar and stuff, this is the wiki page for the Jelbic lingua franca, and the grammar is detailed here and here.
Polites

Postby Iestwyn » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:59 pm

Perfect---my curiosity is sated. Thank you all!
Iestwyn

Postby Aquinas » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:43 pm

Can anyone with knowledge of Polish give me a good translation for "Kingdom of Valruzia"? Does "Królestwo Walruzyjska" sound plausible?
Aquinas

PreviousNext

Return to General